PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Today

jefferson
07-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Was out with a few young people on the lake today. Great day to be there, although the water was rough. We caught 94 walters between the four of us, and went through 3 packages of minnows- a fairly average day at Pigeon:D. Average size was about 2 and a half pounds; biggest was 3 and a half, smallest was...well, he must have grabbed the hook from the cradle, 'cause he belonged in the nursery.

Good news- it seems to me that more of the fish we caught were healthy; in the last few years, we caught a lot of skinny, pale-colored walleye that just didn't look right. Only a few had that appearance today, with most of them fat and healthy looking- maybe the tag program is having a positive effect! I'm no biologist, all I'm saying is the fish look far more healthy now than this time last year.

bad news- the water looks disgusting again.

The Petro Can in the village was out of shiners today (at least, the ones in the round tubs). All they had were the ones in the blue rectangular boxes- we don't really like those as much.

good luck out there!

pecker
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
thanks for the info & update jeff.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Was out with a few young people on the lake today. Great day to be there, although the water was rough. We caught 94 walters between the four of us, and went through 3 packages of minnows- a fairly average day at Pigeon:D. Average size was about 2 and a half pounds; biggest was 3 and a half, smallest was...well, he must have grabbed the hook from the cradle, 'cause he belonged in the nursery.

Good news- it seems to me that more of the fish we caught were healthy; in the last few years, we caught a lot of skinny, pale-colored walleye that just didn't look right. Only a few had that appearance today, with most of them fat and healthy looking- maybe the tag program is having a positive effect! I'm no biologist, all I'm saying is the fish look far more healthy now than this time last year.

bad news- the water looks disgusting again.

The Petro Can in the village was out of shiners today (at least, the ones in the round tubs). All they had were the ones in the blue rectangular boxes- we don't really like those as much.

good luck out there!

Jefferson Atta boy glad to see ya made it out there agian. We gotta get together one of these weeks , Hit up Pigeon I can take you around to where I know and have caught larger fish . I dont know the numbers of shallow water walleye seem to keep growing its crazy but lovely . My boat wouldnt handle pigeon even though I had her out there a few weeks ago once I got the motor back in working order.
Stay in touch my friend .

John

sirmike68
07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Was out yesterday and biggest one we caught was 57 cm. Water is brown/green slime. Can't believe people pay a million bucks for lakefront property when you can't even swim in the lake in the summer?

Skidog
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Just wondering what you guys consider the best spot to fish on Pigeion, I've fished there for a few years and even with the best intentions of exporing the lake for new hotspots I can just never seem to pull up anchor from the provincal boat launch area. Its just to easy there, and the kids get to have some fun without getting bored. We have wandered around that area but not enough to know if any one spot is better or just lucky that day. Not looking for anyones secrets just a general question.

chanter
07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Was there yesterday also, 27 in 2hrs at the Prov Park- nothing big. There was one fellow 40-50 yards from us who was on fire- never seen someon slay em' like that. We moved on the other side of him and he said that he had 57 in the morning and he was at 75 in 2.5 hrs in the afternoon!:love: He was using orange jig head and minnow, nice guy- told us everything without us even asking. We were all in 18ft water.
Note: the GULP smelt worked just as good as the minnows, and obviously you weren't baiting after every fish....
Chanter.

jefferson
07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
If you head south-east from the boat launch accross the lake, there is a large mid-lake hump out there where we seem to find some bigger fish- it's likely 2/3 of the way accross the lake, though, and a bit tough to find if you don't know where it is. I have it marked on the GPS. Next time we see you out there, BBJ, you're welcome to jump in the boat with us!

Steadyup
07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
In the same parking lot as Petro-Can but west of the grocery store is a store called "Bear necessities" (I think) and they always have round tub minnows. Nice little shop and better price than the Petro as far as bait goes.

jefferson
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
yep; that's where we headed. Pretty good little tackle store- we didn't discover it until just a few years ago. The prices are considerably better.

07-24-2008, 02:12 PM
In the same parking lot as Petro-Can but west of the grocery store is a store called "Bear necessities" (I think) and they always have round tub minnows. Nice little shop and better price than the Petro as far as bait goes.

Hes got a great shop and yes thats the name of it , its a great place . And I offen phone the guy a day or two before we head to find out the odd hot spots , as he hears stuff all the time , as well if you get talking to him he will show you some of the pictures hes gotten over this past year of fishing some GIANT HAWGS.

07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
If you head south-east from the boat launch across the lake, there is a large mid-lake hump out there where we seem to find some bigger fish- it's likely 2/3 of the way across the lake, though, and a bit tough to find if you don't know where it is. I have it marked on the GPS. Next time we see you out there, BBJ, you're welcome to jump in the boat with us!

The hump tends to be a great spot to fish , as well as north shore sundance ,and johnsonia in that area about 150 yards out some nice sized wally's there . The hump is a great spot as its a rock bottom which Walleye love .Id be honored to fish with you guys in your boat , plus maybe I could toss a little advice . The only difference in catching a few fish at pigeon and alot is presentation . ITS ALL ABOUT PRESENTATION.

bobalong
07-24-2008, 09:51 PM
The hump tends to be a great spot to fish , as well as north shore sundance ,and johnsonia in that area about 150 yards out some nice sized wally's there . The hump is a great spot as its a rock bottom which Walleye love .Id be honored to fish with you guys in your boat , plus maybe I could toss a little advice . The only difference in catching a few fish at pigeon and alot is presentation . ITS ALL ABOUT PRESENTATION.

I don't think I have heard of a presentation at Pigeon that doesn't catch a lot of fish, what presentation did you find that doesn't catch fish?

Smokey
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
I fished the shoreline south of the launch, cause frankly I got tired of fishing in the line of boats. My cousin and I did better fishing that way. We even said the heck with the bait, and put on some divers, and we had very good success, and and twice as good as a time. Next time I go to Pigeon I am going to do more exploring, cause fishing next to someone, so you can talk to them ain't my bag. There was a group of retire looking guys on a big pontoon who came to where we were fishing, and they started hammering tons of fish. I guess they were tired of fishing with others around too. The highlight of my day was catching a 60 cm pike, cause I had never caught anything other than walleyes there.
My advise to anyone there who is tired of crowd fishing, venture out, try different spots and presentations, you will have a better time.

bobalong
07-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Your right there Smokey, I fished Pigeon quite a bit over the past 6-7 years and most of the best spots I found were by moving around the lake. The "spot" at the Provincial boat launch puts out fish summer and winter consistantly but we have never caught many big fish there (I know others have), but with the exception of walk on ice season, we don't fish that spot to much. Most of our bigger fish all came from other areas on the lake. There is a lot less pressure on the mid lake humps, and reefs, and on the smaller humps the fish become very concentrated, especially in the winter.
All of these fish were caught at Pigeon, and you can see in the pics we were quite a bit of shore in all of them. Most of these pics are from a few years back in the hay day. My son caught the 9+ on a mid lake hump in January (biggest eye I have seen come through the ice.)These were truly the good old days, IMO we had world class walleye fishing about an hour from home.
Pigeon is still a very viable fishery, but I sure miss the opportunity at catching a 10+ everytime you went out. Although I only caught 1 fish over ten, back then every bite could be the big one, the only other place I have had that excitement and anticipation of catching big walleye is at Tobin lake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/Chris9-3.jpg
My son nick with a 9-14
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/nicks9-14.jpg
Fishing buddy with a 9+
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/merv9-3.jpg
My PB from Alberta caught at Pigeon 10-13
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/35c0d038.jpg

SNAPFisher
07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Geez Bobalong, I know I've said it before but it must be said again, those are some tremendous walleye!!! :love:

Thanks for the reminder.

bobalong
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Geez Bobalong, I know I've said it before but it must be said again, those are some tremendous walleye!!! :love:

Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks, I know I have posted some or all of the pics before, but I think some of the newer guys to the board don't realize what a fantastic fishery Pigeon used to be. By no means back then was I the only person catching fish of this caliber and bigger fish were caught as well. If I had a collection of pics from some of the buddies fish as well, it would make a nice calender, a few of those fish would dwarf the ones I posted here. Well maybe not dwarf but the biggest ones I saw pics of were a 15.3 and a 13.7. I used to get days off through the week back then (not near the fishing pressure), and the entrance to the PP at Pigeon were like the Pearly Gates to me, and yes contrary to what some might think, when the time comes, I will be going through the Pearly Gates with the Sylvan flat out, headn' for the humps.