PDA

View Full Version : tagged fish wins you 100.00

waterninja
05-04-2013, 10:01 AM
a new program started this month in B.C. where they are tagging 300 trout as part of their stocking program, and if you catch one you get 100.00 cash if you report it. years ago you got a cool ball cap if you caught a tagged steelhead.

has anything similar ever been done in alberta?

mach123
05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
No because they don't stock or care about our fishery as much........

Geezle
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
No because they don't stock or care about our fishery as much........

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine...:rolleyes:

mach123
05-04-2013, 10:25 AM
No I am good, just wish they would put more time in like they do in other places, doesn't matter I do catch and release 99% and teach kids to do the same all I did was answer the question and if the answer is the truth and offended you, sorry......

jaystev
05-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Youd think itd be a great way to get people interested in fishing,the potential for a little cash reward. But im sure theres a ton of people who woulod be against it for some reason or another.

FisherPotch
05-04-2013, 10:40 AM
We don't have a tagging system for much other than geons to my knowledge, and its two very different fisheries so we're comparing apples and oranges.

I personally feel our fish stocking programs have improved. Use of sterile fish to protect our indigenous species. These 3n genotype fish could potentially lead to some prov records in the years to come. I question some of the things they are doing of course. I'd like to see more walleye stocking, with the tag system producing extra funds and all.

Lack of aerators to protect all these investments, lack of trophy regs and the "put and take attitude" are likely a much bigger problem than our stocking program.

mach123
05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
We don't have a tagging system for much other than geons to my knowledge, and its two very different fisheries so we're comparing apples and oranges.

I personally feel our fish stocking programs have improved. Use of sterile fish to protect our indigenous species. These 3n genotype fish could potentially lead to some prov records in the years to come. I question some of the things they are doing of course. I'd like to see more walleye stocking, with the tag system producing extra funds and all.

Lack of aerators to protect all these investments, lack of trophy regs and the "put and take attitude" are likely a much bigger problem than our stocking program.

I agree with you 100%, I would be game to better our fishery and agree that it has gotton better, there will always be them people that catch fish run home freeze them and go back for more. It doesn't help when we have a population like we do and not alot of lakes..........

new LT
05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
I agree with you 100%, I would be game to better our fishery and agree that it has gotton better, there will always be them people that catch fish run home freeze them and go back for more. It doesn't help when we have a population like we do and not alot of lakes..........

As long as they do not exceed the Province limit they are doing nothing wrong.

ice
05-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Years back they put some tagged walleye into faucette. And if you caught one and reported it. You had a "chance" to win something. Or you were put into a draw or something...

huntsfurfish
05-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Years ago they put tagged fish into the pond(worth a dollar I think, maybe 5). That was in Medicine Hat, Kin Coulee trout pond.

Boy was that a while back.

Topwater
05-05-2013, 03:09 PM
If you catch a tagged pike in Tobin or Codette lake between fathers day and Sept 30 youll get minimum 100$ and a chance you could win a boat or a quad or $5000 cash if your registered in the pike festival for 5 bucks.
http://www.nipawin.com/fishing-pikefestival.html