PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the bow Need your opinion

Trout Enemy #1
07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I will be launching on monday from 22x and floating a 2 day trip to carseland.

Can i take my 14 foot aluminum Lowe Nyph V with a 80lb thrust minnkota or is it to shallow ad dangerous and am I better off with my pontoon boat please let me know?

Cheers David

Chironomid
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Having just fished the bow I'd say you'd be ok. I saw guys floating it in big aluminums with big outboards yesterday. Fish with stonefly nymphs.

Kingfisher
07-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Having just fished the bow I'd say you'd be ok. I saw guys floating it in big aluminums with big outboards yesterday. Fish with stonefly nymphs.

They ought to ban outboards on the Bow. Not sure why they haven't yet. It's long over due.

matathonman
07-24-2008, 04:14 AM
My buddy is a very avid fly fisherman and floated the bow the first time with his pontoon. Said it was a blast and landed aroung thirty fish to his net, lost that many and had hits that he couldn't sinkthe hook. Kinda makes me want o float it in a small pontoon. This fella has drifted the river many times fishing but this was his first time in a pontoon. You need a set of flippers to keep yourself in the zone and to help keep yourself positioned for a proper presentation.You can also hold yourself there for a bit like a drift boat to keep your fly in a hole a little longer, it just takes alot of kicking with the flippers to do so.Your legs will be very, VERRRRY TIRED by the end of the day but youll enjoy every minute of it.Gotta plan ahead, way ahead where you're going to drift because you have to kick your way there which is alot slower than rowing in drift boa,but you don;t have to row so that keeps your hand free to constantly fish.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

.He said that you only need your ores when reaching pretty rough water. Both him and his wife went down ing an 8 &9" Outcast pontoon and did absolutely fine, caught lots of fish.Good luck,wish I was doing it!A two day trip sounds like alot of fun getting to sleep under the stars and fishing every sinle hole the whole way!Keep aying I'm gonna but never do,Good on you! Show us some pictures when your back, of the deer you see and your guys and or gals fish!:)

steelhead
07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I run my aluminum and outboard on the Bow. Not a thing wrong with it.

Kingfisher, whats your beef on outboards on the bow. Its a big river, no different than a lake.

steel

bobalong
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=steelhead;167610]I run my aluminum and outboard on the Bow. Not a thing wrong with it.
Kingfisher, whats your beef on outboards on the bow. Its a big river, no different than a lake.

Just wondering Steel, do you run a jet or can you manage to navigate between the rocks with a prop motor?

Trout Enemy #1
07-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies I think i will go with my 14 foot aluminum as i will be more comfortable to carry more gear.

Cheers all maybe see you you on the wtaer I will be floaing in a 14 foot LOWE Nymph V white in color...