PDA

View Full Version : help! with buffalo lake?

rog
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
i am heading out to buffalo lake near stettler this saturday.
i've never been there before. can anyone tell me anything about the lake?
i have a 17 foot ski boat that we fish from.
is the lake good for tubing, kneeboard/ skiing?
what is the fishing like? i understand there are pike and burbot.
any other fish?
any help is appreciated
thanks, roger

2430M
07-24-2008, 03:35 PM
i am heading out to buffalo lake near stettler this saturday.
i've never been there before. can anyone tell me anything about the lake?
i have a 17 foot ski boat that we fish from.
is the lake good for tubing, kneeboard/ skiing?
what is the fishing like? i understand there are pike and burbot.
any other fish?
any help is appreciated
thanks, roger

Yes you can ski and kneeboard. There are some shallow areas but they use to be marked and seemed to be only around the marine at rochon. You will catch mostly pike. In my younger days we use to troll the east side of the lake from Pelican point to rochon sands about 30-50 feet offshore. If you want some not bad shore fishing try the narrows. Not sure where you re staying but it won't be far from you no matter where you stay. There is a boat launch at Old macdonalds campsite (if that is where you are staying) or they have one at Rochon sands.

If you click this link it will give you a map and you can see the area's I am talking about. Good luck and enjoy your stay :)

On the map Old macdonalds is just left of Rochon sands. It's not marked on there. It's in between the narrows and rochon, closer to rochon. Just underr the "ff" in "buffalo"
http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/viewingguide/reddeer/redbuflmap.aspx

tchow
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Narrows is a good place to start off. I've used Yellow/Red 5 Diamonds and Rapalas for trolling. On the main lake, we fished near the Bull Rushes and Cat-Tails . Casting out into the deeper water and working it back in about 4-6 ft of water. If you find emerging Weed beds, work the perimeter of these as usually these are good ambush places for Gators.

rog
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
thank you for your input,

we will giver a try on sat.

is this a "busy lake"? like pine and sylvan have gotten to be on weekends?

rog

brandon
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm actually going there on sunday and we're staying at old mcdonald gonna bring the fly rod fust for fun too.