PDA

View Full Version : Spinning reel: Shimano Symetre 3000FJ or?

Ronbill
05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
It's time to get larger reels for my twins boys. They currently Shimano Sienna 500 UL for trout and perch, but need some larger reels for wallye and pike. Plan is 6.5' or 7' rods. I'm looking at Shimano Symetre 3000FJ right now but would like suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

azn_rice_man
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
The Symetre is an awesome reel! I got 2, one in FJ and the other in RJ. Also got a Shimano Sahara, which is pretty nice, too. I think TFH has both of these on sale right now.

Ronbill
05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
The Symetre is an awesome reel! I got 2, one in FJ and the other in RJ. Also got a Shimano Sahara, which is pretty nice, too. I think TFH has both of these on sale right now.

Hows the RJ compare to the FJ?

azn_rice_man
05-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I'd take the FJ over the RJ... Only reason I wanted the RJ initially was to have a spare spool with easy access, but the spare spools are hard to come by... FJ's built a little better IMO.

Walleyedude
05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
The new Symmetre FL is the best bang for the buck reel in the Shimano lineup in my opinion. Part of the FL upgrade was to include the XShip gear technology into it which makes for a much smoother, more powerful and compact reel. It's actually even slightly lighter than the Stradic FJ at half the cost.

If you're casting a lot or using larger baits, the 2500 or 3000 size is great, if you're largely fishing from a boat in a more vertical presentation or short casts and lighter lures, the lighter weight of the smaller 1000 size is hard to beat.

The Great White Hype
05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
The new Symmetre FL is the best bang for the buck reel in the Shimano lineup in my opinion. Part of the FL upgrade was to include the XShip gear technology into it which makes for a much smoother, more powerful and compact reel. It's actually even slightly lighter than the Stradic FJ at half the cost.

If you're casting a lot or using larger baits, the 2500 or 3000 size is great, if you're largely fishing from a boat in a more vertical presentation or short casts and lighter lures, the lighter weight of the smaller 1000 size is hard to beat.

x2

Ronbill
05-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Good suggestion. Right now they need all-round reels mainly for casting, jigging, occasional trolling and perhaps river-rigging. Smaller jigging-specific reels can wait - though I have one for myself.

thanks