PDA

View Full Version : Transom saver for motor with manual tilt?

Big Schnizz
05-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Will a transom saver work on a motor with manual tilt? And if so what's the best way to make it work? I've read a few things online saying that yes you can use them, but I just invision the motor bouncing the transom saver falling off. But maybe that would be avoided if bungied very tight. Just looking for your opinions.

I've read the other threads on here regarding transom saver vs no transom saver, so I am not looking for that answer.

TrollGRG
05-06-2013, 09:09 PM
I just use a rubber strap from the transom saver around the leg and back again. It stays on pretty good - hasn't bounced off or anything yet.

Big Schnizz
05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
I just use a rubber strap from the transom saver around the leg and back again. It stays on pretty good - hasn't bounced off or anything yet.

Thanks for the info - I'm assuming you also had manual tilt? Anyone else have any other opinions/first hand experiences?

bang_on_sk
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I used to have one that bolted onto the trailer frame, was just an aluminum strut with a v on one end. After you pulled the boat onto the trailer you put the strut in place and bungeed it down. Worked like a charm.

It was with a manual tilt motor.

bubba 96
05-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I have one also, i have the one that bolts on to trailer with the v on the end, the bungee cord that wraps around the leg..You will get it to bounce a bit but the bungee will keep it on..however I use a wratchet strap to secure even better..

Big Schnizz
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I have one also, i have the one that bolts on to trailer with the v on the end, the bungee cord that wraps around the leg..You will get it to bounce a bit but the bungee will keep it on..however I use a wratchet strap to secure even better..

That is a really great idea. My other question is how far do you tilt the motor up?

huntsfurfish
05-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Enough so you wont have contact with the road or uneven driveways, also take into consideration the shocks and trailer height. The more verticle the motor can be the less bouncing there will be. Most transom savers are adjustable.