PDA

View Full Version : Brookie heaven

fluxcore
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
A few pics from our trip to my favorite brookie spot, the big one weighed in at a little over 4lbs:D. cant wait to get back thay were great on the BBQ very mild, might have something to do with there diet crayfish? Dont ask where the spot is I was the only one on the lake a few times during the trip:lol: Id like to keep it that way

fluxcore
07-24-2008, 06:17 PM
One more pic just to show off how red the meat was.........yum

iliketrout
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Awesome pics. That's one hell of a brookie!

duffy4
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
A nice looking feed of trout. But why do you not cook them with the heads on? Trout do have cheeks, a nice little bit of meat on both sides that is easiest to get at when they are cooked heads on.

Robin in Rocky

Map Maker
07-24-2008, 08:22 PM
congrats, that is one hell of a catch.
Rainbows and brookies. that is one helluva spot.

how deep did you catch the 4 pounder? and what lure?

fluxcore
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I wish I had caught the big one on a fly but unfortunatly to get the big ones you have to get down deep. In a week I never saw a lage fish jump or surface, I used a 1.5 ounce slip weight with a ford fender flasher with a short leader and worms the fish couldn't resist. My wife lost a monster brook at least twice as big right beside the boat we were both devistated. It was by far the biggest brookie Ive ever seen close up, we forgot the net and it was too big to pull in the boat with only the line I had no luck with my hands it was thrashing around to much:( I did manage to get some around a pound or so on the fly which is still a hoot and a decient size around my area. The big fish were sitting on bottom stuffed with crayfish I still cant get over how many crayfish were stuffed in them, some of the fish we pulled in were caughing up claws and legs while we reeled them in (PIGS) When the monster my wife lost hit we thought we had bottom I quickly put the electric in reverse I didnt want to lose my setup we only had two. Then all of a sudden there it was right beside the boat wow what a sight just swimmin along I went for the tail and it freaked big time I had a few more chances to grab it and it got off!!! Its tough to loose the fish of a lifetime I think about it at work alot and at least I know its swimming around somewhere and has been able to avoid fisherman up to now. When I was telling a local fisherman about the fish we had just lost he just smiled and told us hes been fishing the lake for years and has never heard of a fish that size come out of the lake then he asked where we hooked into him I kept that to my self:evilgrin:

troutpirate
07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
the background in the 1 photo looks like grande cache lake to me.

Tako
07-25-2008, 01:43 AM
^^^ Nice guy eh?

Some people's kids. Sheeite.

Nice fish for sure. Big brookies are pretty hard to come by in AB. Can I suggest C&R on the big girls? Tomorrow's fish, today's responsibility and all that jazz.

McLeod
07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Awesome fish , nice pictures..Thanhs for sharing your story with us.It was a good read , passionate and I could feel the excitment and then the disappointment when you lost the big fish. Hope you have more great trips and you share them with us..

SNAPFisher
07-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Awesome! Love those brookies! Great report with pics. Congrats on the great catch. I'll bet that big one will live in your memory to keep you coming back :innocent:

Nice fish for sure. Big brookies are pretty hard to come by in AB. Can I suggest C&R on the big girls? Tomorrow's fish, today's responsibility and all that jazz.

Tako, I appreciate it what your saying and I'm sure Flux understands. I don't see a problem with enjoying the odd decent fish.

If you look at Flux who has well over 100 posts here, there is more C&R than keeping from what I'm reading. I.e. comments not necessary, I think he gets it

Also, your assuming "Alberta" but that might not even be the case. ;)

Walleyes
07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Mmmmm looks good flux. I hope you enjoyed them to the fullest.. It is a pleasure and our "right" to enjoy our wild game in this province good on you for keeping a couple...

Dark Wing
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
the background in the 1 photo looks like grande cache lake to me.

Nope, we don't have brookies like that in G.C. lake.

Nice fish Flux, noticed the paper towel, brookies are pretty slimy. Looks like they had a good feed of fresh water shrimp with that pink meat.

fluxcore
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I released a tons of nice fish throughout the week, only on our last two days did I keep fish and only deeply hooked ones. We had a nice BBQ with new friends we had met earlier and during the week. The BBQ was a success many of our new acquatinces are planing a return trip with us next year I cant wait. The trout were Stuffed with sliced lemmon and spices (a pinch of brown sugar) and placed in the BBQ on tinfoil, I think people were shocked trout could taste so good needless to say I seen many of our guests fishing early the next day on our way home.

Tako
07-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I released a tons of nice fish throughout the week, only on our last two days did I keep fish and only deeply hooked ones. We had a nice BBQ with new friends we had met earlier and during the week. The BBQ was a success many of our new acquatinces are planing a return trip with us next year I cant wait. The trout were Stuffed with sliced lemmon and spices (a pinch of brown sugar) and placed in the BBQ on tinfoil, I think people were shocked trout could taste so good needless to say I seen many of our guests fishing early the next day on our way home.

Right on :D

fishman
07-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I think the hint of crayfish was to tell us the lake is south or in bc......no lakes my way with crayfish in it and rock faces like that............nice fish by the way and i don't blame for keeping it a secret

Jester
07-25-2008, 09:10 PM
nice fish by the way and i don't blame for keeping it a secret

10-4 on that...

years ago I found a natural mineral lick that was drawing deer like crazy.Well,I told a friend who told a friend who told a friend...yeah,I'm sure you get the picture..:(

but anyway....nice fish man...:D