PDA

View Full Version : Changing Impeller (Water Pump)

trapshooter
05-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I have a bearcat 55 (55hp) outboard motor but no water is coming out when running. I ordered a new impeller for it but am worried about installing it. Has anybody ever done one? Easy hard?
Any tips?

HunterDave
05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Search youtube. I bought a used '85 Evinrude a couple of months ago and the whole process was shown from start to finish. :)

Big Bull
05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I have one that I have to install on my 9.9. Mariner, and have found lots of good info over at the iboats.com forum. It looks to be a fairly simple repair!

The Fisherman Guy
05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi Trap,

Was it used in salt water? If so it could be packed off with salt crystals. I had that happen to an old 15hp. After you open it up, take a good inventory of everything you think looks worn out in the water pump assembly and replace it. Since you have it open, might as well take the appropriate precautions to keep the motor cool, or it may overheat and cause damage.

Good luck

iliketrout
05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I've only done 4 but here are a few tips in addition to the ones from TFG:

If the old impeller has come apart, use compressed air in the pump discharge tubing to clear out any rubber pieces

Be careful not to operate the gear shift linkage when the lower housing is removed. It may cause you trouble trying to get it lined up right on reassembly (know from experience...:rolleye2:)

Use dish soap to lubricate the impeller blades if you are having issues getting the impeller into the casing.

These are basic tips, I'm no mechanic. Good luck.

Couleestalker
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I just changed mine on a 90hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Very easier and only took 20 minutes or so. You may have trouble with an older motor as the bolts may be sized a little. One tip I have is make sure you mark down what way the drive shaft turns with the new impeller still installed. Make sure the new impeller goes in the same way. Also, depending on the motor you may have to remove the trim tab to access one of the bolts holding the lower unit on.

MuleyMonster
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Just did mine on a 9.9 Johnson and it was easy. The hardest part was remembering the way it came apart so that you can put it back together. I took pictures the whole way through but would suggest running a video camera so you can look back at it. Youtube was a great help and a little elbow grease always works. Not as hard as you think and I have just basic tools to get the job done