PDA

View Full Version : Carp by the bucket

gor
05-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Carp! Tons of carp, looks like all the none breading carp that where let loose in county of Newell have figured out the sex thing. They where put in canals and dugouts to keep plants down. The program did not last long and we have not heard much for about six or seven years. These fish where said to be sterile.
a Guy I know took his lab for a swim and he said the fish where so thick his dog could not swim. I thought they where white fish by his video, but then he said he saw fish cops dip netting them. I went for a drive tonight and could not believe how many there where, one per cast. Guess that's one more thing on the list of mess ups by the officials. Wonder how they will punish the fishermen for this one. All the carp where babies six to eight inches long.

huntsfurfish
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
got any pics?

krthegunslinger
05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Lets see the video. Need location too. I had some put into my dugout 7 years ago. Hmm maybe I should drop a camera down and see what's there?

gor
05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Have pics a video not sure how to post. If some one will post I can forward to you.

Couleestalker
05-08-2013, 09:50 PM
It's sounds like they are Prussian Carp. Saw them today to. F&W also has gill nets set. Bio said they are reproducing

gor
05-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Have pics a video not sure how to post. If some one will post I can forward to you.

I was in a canal about four miles direct west of lake Newell. Canal was flowing out of newell

Guitarplayingfish
05-08-2013, 10:12 PM
They typically put grass carp in, to control weed/algae problem. They are sterile... I can tell you that for a fact.

The carp you are thinking of must be a different type of carp?

gor
05-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Carp where purssian carp

WayneChristie
05-09-2013, 06:02 PM
you could tell by the accent?

jeprli
05-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Pronaunced lateral line and big silvery scales are dead giveaway its a prussian carp(square body) crucian carp has yellowish scales and doesn't grow as large, or reproduce as fast as prussian.

Grass carp for weed control is very different, elongated and a very, very powerfull beast, its a freshwater torpedo :)

Richmuiz
05-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Hmm I wonder if you are allowed to shoot them with a bow

BeeGuy
05-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Carp where purssian carp

Hear a carp,

there a carp!

npauls
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmm I wonder if you are allowed to shoot them with a bow

Yes you could. :sHa_shakeshout:

Lornce
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Hear a carp,
there a carp!

Everywhere a Carp, Carp!

FishingFrenzy
05-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Before we jump to conclusions, is there a possibility these were suckers? its about the time of year it would be normal for them to be running up creeks/canals...

Kim473
05-10-2013, 05:15 AM
I think they should try Manates now for the weed control. LOL

stirfry1
05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
how big do they get and are they catchable?

TROLLER
05-10-2013, 08:19 AM
before we jump to conclusions, is there a possibility these were suckers? Its about the time of year it would be normal for them to be running up creeks/canals...

bingo

Couleestalker
05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
They are not suckers. F&W have set up gill nets to try and remove as many as possible. I was there and was able to get a few with a dip net. They are carp

dleask123
05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
They are not suckers. F&W have set up gill nets to try and remove as many as possible. I was there and was able to get a few with a dip net. They are carp

what is F&W doing with them when they catch them? and also what are you doing with them? just asking as i am always looking for something to do with carp.

have seen large seine nets used, pulled in by tractors and they scoop them into a back of a 5ton truck. but that was a commercial fising operation and were selling them to the corporation.

carp are always fun to shoot with a bow.. :)

Moefoe
05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
So are the carp in Newell or are they in the canals and F&W are just trying to prevent them from getting there? How big are they?

steelhead
05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
A commercial fisherman in Brooks, with FnW monitoring, netted a pile the other day and put them in a big plastic tank and lightly covered them with water.

They are still alive after 3 days!

I was told they were common carp.

Also mentioned that they were probable pet store fish planted in the tilley area.

As I have found buckets of goldfish used as live bait in this area a few times before. Goldfish frozen in a bucket and left after a day of fishing. I think it was people using them as bait. It has been a common occurance down this way.

STEELHEAD

Richmuiz
05-10-2013, 12:51 PM
So dose anyone want to go out this weekend and get some with the bow maybe some good bear bait

Couleestalker
05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
So are the carp in Newell or are they in the canals and F&W are just trying to prevent them from getting there? How big are they?

We don't think they are in Newell at this time. They were all located in one area so far, thankfully next to a drop structure which they can't quite jump other wise they would be in Newell. I would estimate the biggest ones to be around 16" weighing 1.5lbs. Most of them are 6-10" in the 0.5lbs range.

Sundancefisher
05-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Common carp are very hard on the environment. Netting sounds like too little too late.

Savage270
05-11-2013, 02:13 PM
LOTS of bones in them. Kind of mushy when they are cooked. It was just an experiment to see if they were edible or not. A bunch showed up in one of our fresh water ponds near Standard, through the irrigation. Worms work great to catch them.

jeprli
05-11-2013, 02:31 PM
You have to "score" carp along the abdomen, between each rib. Heat up some lard, enough for fish to float, coat your fish in some flour with paprika, salt, pepper and deep fry. Enjoy once golden brown, meet is sweet and sticky and most of bones will be cooked enough to eat, excluding spine.

As a side dish, boil whole potatoes, chop em up. On the side chop an onion and soak it in oil and vinegar, black pepper and salt. Mix it up with potatoes once they cool down and enjoy. If you're fancy you can ganrnish it with some parsnip.

Moefoe
05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Common carp are very hard on the environment. Netting sounds like too little too late.

Yup if they are in there it's already too late! I am however on the fence about them being around, some of the best times I've had at Last Mountain Lake are catching 20lbs plus Carp in the back bays, they are freight trains!

Fishnafterwork
05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I'd be up for for punishing some carp!.. Hook and line or bow!.... Some location details and I'm sure there's enough people who would like to harvest some... I was just talking with a buddy who wanted to make a trip to fill the freezer with them.... Some people love carp ... never tried them personally though