PDA

View Full Version : Installing Boat Seats?

trapshooter
05-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I bought 2 new boat seats from bass pro and want to install them on my boat. I want to install them on a bench but I can't get under the bench to tighten bolts or anything cause the bench is solid right to the floor. Also I dont want to use clamp on seat brackets. I was wondering if there was some make shift way that I could attach the seat right to the bench without any bracket or anything.
Just right onto the bench. Here are some pics.

Bottom Of Seat:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/null_zpscc75d20b.jpg

Bench To Install Them On:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/null_zps57c0cbe8.jpg

How I Want Them To Look:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/null_zps50173b8f.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/null_zps13f9ca58.jpg

This Is What The Bench Looks Like:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z419/Photography_Hunting_Trapshooting/null_zps17927531.jpg

Redfrog
05-08-2013, 10:22 PM
use toggle bolts.

bwackwabbit
05-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I would suggest mounting a swivel to the bottom of the seat and then a piece of Marine grade plywood bolted up through the bottom (carriage bolts so they are flush on the bottom) to the swivel.

Once that is done use PL Premium waterproof to bond the whole thing to the bench.

new LT
05-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Your fiberglass bench probably has plywood under the glass you can put a swivel plate on the seat as bwackwabbit suggest but then screw a quick disconnect seat mount to bench and slide seat and swivel in.

HunterDave
05-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Cut a piece of plywood that fits the bench. Place the seats on the plywood where you want the seats to be and mark their location. Make a bolt pattern from under a seat and drill the holes in the plywood. Attach the seats to the plywood and screw the plywood to the bench. Go fishing. :)

trapshooter
05-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Your fiberglass bench probably has plywood under the glass you can put a swivel plate on the seat as bwackwabbit suggest but then screw a quick disconnect seat mount to bench and slide seat and swivel in.

My worry is that the screws into the bench would just pull out.

HunterDave
05-09-2013, 12:33 AM
My worry is that the screws into the bench would just pull out.

You can buy screws specifically for that. They have 2 wings that open up once you put them through the hole. I forget the name of them but they are commonly used to hang lights from ceilings or pictures on walls.

new LT
05-09-2013, 08:01 AM
use toggle bolts.

You can buy screws specifically for that. They have 2 wings that open up once you put them through the hole. I forget the name of them but they are commonly used to hang lights from ceilings or pictures on walls.

ya redfrog mentioned

Falko
05-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Go to iboats.com. Hit up the forum, boat building and restoration forum to be exact. Those guys will get you set up. Suggest sealing the bolts that you put through that glass to prevent water intrusion.

trapshooter
05-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Bought some toggle bolts tonight, can hardly wait to install them!

billie
05-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Do not use toggle bolts! They do not have the strength you need for this and you will end up with large holes to fill.

The stress on the seats is significant and toggle bolts are not intended for that type of stress. You also must cut a large hole to get the toggles through, they will be impossible to seal, and the bolts will rust and fail in short order.

Use a quality stainless steel screw in large diameter (#10 or more) and screw directly into the fibreglass as needed. It is good enough for a water ski pole, it will secure a seat.

JMHO supported by experience.

new LT
05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Do not use toggle bolts! They do not have the strength you need for this and you will end up with large holes to fill.

The stress on the seats is significant and toggle bolts are not intended for that type of stress. You also must cut a large hole to get the toggles through, they will be impossible to seal, and the bolts will rust and fail in short order.

Use a quality stainless steel screw in large diameter (#10 or more) and screw directly into the fibreglass as needed. It is good enough for a water ski pole, it will secure a seat.

Actually they have a stainless steel toggle bolts that are made spastically for bolting down boat seats that also seal out water. also recommended for ski pole installation.

trapshooter
05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Actually they have a stainless steel toggle bolts that are made spastically for bolting down boat seats that also seal out water. also recommended for ski pole installation.

Where would I find these?

new LT
05-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Where would I find these?

Sorry I thought I posted link to but forgot

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C10918%7C311444%7C309358&id=1012406

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_18663_-1?cid=chanintel_googl#.UY2e-2XMSs0

From what i hear you can get them in Lowes now too.

trapshooter
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Sorry I thought I posted link to but forgot

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C10918%7C311444%7C309358&id=1012406

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_18663_-1?cid=chanintel_googl#.UY2e-2XMSs0

From what i hear you can get them in Lowes now too.

Holy smokes those are expensive!

new LT
05-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Holy smokes those are expensive!

Ya lol anything Stainless is and then if it comes from a marine shop that adds more. I would try lowes first. It does pay to do it right so you only do it once.

RavYak
05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
First take a small drill bit and drill through to see if there is plywood etc underneath. Most likely there is.

Then buy 2 swivels and quick disconnects as new LT posted. Just drill and screw the quick disconnects down and then mount the swivels to the chair and slide chair into position. Might want to put a little goop on the screws so water doesn't get in under the bench and rot it out though.

The only thing not so great about these is that they have a slight bit of play so don't feel solid. If that isn't an issue then(isn't for me) then they work good.

Just be careful if you are buying the pieces separately as the swivels come in different sizes so make sure disconnect is for the same size.

new LT
05-10-2013, 10:01 PM
First take a small drill bit and drill through to see if there is plywood etc underneath. Most likely there is.

Then buy 2 swivels and quick disconnects as new LT posted. Just drill and screw the quick disconnects down and then mount the swivels to the chair and slide chair into position. Might want to put a little goop on the screws so water doesn't get in under the bench and rot it out though.

The only thing not so great about these is that they have a slight bit of play so don't feel solid. If that isn't an issue then(isn't for me) then they work good.

Just be careful if you are buying the pieces separately as the swivels come in different sizes so make sure disconnect is for the same size.

The disconnects now are adjustable to fit the two sizes of swivel plates.

huntsfurfish
05-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Or you could cut the fibreglass at the back and make a waterproof door for the hole use it to access the underside for tightening screws with washers. Then have a storage compartment as end result. I doubt on the age of that boat it has foam filling but you might want to check before going ahead.

Impeesa
05-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Or you could cut the fibreglass at the back and make a waterproof door for the hole use it to access the underside for tightening screws with washers. Then have a storage compartment as end result. I doubt on the age of that boat it has foam filling but you might want to check before going ahead.

I actually kinda like this idea.

bubba 96
05-12-2013, 07:06 AM

X2 I have installed 3 seats this way....

bsnyder
05-12-2013, 09:52 AM

I agree, don't use toggles!!! Im a master carpenter and have no faith in them.The suggestion of one piece of (pressure treated) ply is the best, maybe cover in marine grade carpet for looks and comfort, festen the seats to this(use bolts and lock nuts) then scew with SS screws into fiberglass.I would probably put a bunch of pl-500 inbetween ,You will never get it off again.
Bob:sHa_shakeshout:

trapshooter
05-12-2013, 09:57 AM
X2 I have installed 3 seats this way....

Do you have any pics of what it looks like?

bubba 96
05-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Do you have any pics of what it looks like?

I just srcewed the swivel to the bottom of the seat with the 4 holes in the seat will match up with the swivel, then mount the quick release mount to your boat bench, watch for clearences for when seat swivels, and slide the swivel into the quick release mount, and bobs your uncle..I dont have any picts as the boat is still in the yard shrink wrapped....

TJG
05-13-2013, 08:19 PM
X3

THERICARDO
05-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Would this work for a new aluminum boat also? I have seen some sort of clamp bracket you can use with swivel base and then add your seat... Just wondering how funnny it would look when complete??

Has anyone done both and preferred one way over the other? Dont want cut out pieces of bench on the new boat if I dont have to...

thanks

RavYak
05-31-2013, 05:43 PM
I prefer the quick release to the clamp on myself. No matter how tight you get the clamp it will move around if you lean against the back of the seat, quick release just seems more sturdy.

Unfortunately with a quick release set up you have to drill holes in the aluminum benches but it is definitely worth it.