PDA

View Full Version : Shimano r4000

Lmil
05-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Hey there guys. I took up fishing a couple years ago, but only managed to get out there a handful of times. This year is a different story. I plan on spending most of my weekends fishing.
That being said, my knowledge on the sport and the equipment is lacking. The reel I have (but have yet to use) is the Shimano r4000. Is it a good entry level reel? My guess it's the bottom of the line. It came already attached to the rod (also Shimano) when I bought it.

I should also mention, I prefer shore fishing mostly due to the fact I don't have a boat...yet. So far my fishing expertise is restricted to cast and reel. Is this reel made for this type of fishing or am I going to want a different one?

Thanks for any help on this.

Lorne

Woody_16
05-09-2013, 09:43 AM
By no means is it a high-level reel, but I have one of those, and a couple of the smaller r2000 and I like them. They are quite durable, have a reasonably good drag, a good anti-reverse and have the handy trigger system for tripping the bail. If you are on a budget I would give it a try before you buy something else to replace it. They will work fine for shore casting.

Wild&Free
05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
With any new sport or activity it's never advisable to go out and buy all the top end stuff right off the bat, nor is it a good idea to cheap out and get the least expensive stuff available. Best bet is to start small, gain experience with the equipment you have and learn about it as much as possible. Learn what the terminology on rod specifications, line, hook types and such and expand as you gain confidence. If fishing becomes an overwhelming passion the top end gear and knowledge to use it will come.

There are many articles online and in print on the technical aspects of fishing equipment, most just repeat what the last one says, but some include new advancements in technology and how the application has affected the sport.

For shore fishing that reel will work fine, It's no trophy hunter but don't kid yourself a reel is a reel and it can and will get you into big ones and small ones alike. I'd recommend watching some reel maintenance video's on Youtube. That will increase your knowledge of the equipment and it's components and their function and keep that reel working for years to come.

Lmil
05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
For shore fishing that reel will work fine, It's no trophy hunter but don't kid yourself a reel is a reel and it can and will get you into big ones and small ones alike. I'd recommend watching some reel maintenance video's on Youtube. That will increase your knowledge of the equipment and it's components and their function and keep that reel working for years to come.

That's a great idea, W&F. Thank you.