PDA

View Full Version : Pine Lake Report 24-07-08 (on fire!)

Sir. Kenneth
07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Pine Lake was on fire yesterday! Started about 10:30am and finished up about 6pm. 47 Walleye of all diferent shapes and sizes (largest about 5 lbs), 2 fairly decent pike, and somebodies Daiwa ice fishing rod i presume was lost this past winter??? The beauty about that lake is the algae problem. The lake is so murky i was hitting wallys all day in anywhere from 4-15 feet of water. Started the morning out jigging minnows off the bottom, ran out of those about 2:00 started using berkley's gulp alive minnows and they were still steady off those. Had a period of a couple hours that things slowed down so i switched to salted grubs tipped with a piece of worm and bam bam bam 3 back to back. I would have stayed all evening if i didn't have to bring the boat back! :( Heading back out again on Sunday will post my results.
Tight lines!

Sir. Kenneth
07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Well things slowed up a fair bit yesterday... 25 walleye between my cousin and myself and he got one Pike. Did manage to pull in probably the biggest Wally i have seen pulled out of that lake though! We weren't able to weigh it but figured between 5-6lbs???

Chironomid
07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Yep I'd say you guessed right. I've pulled a few out of Pine that size, and one bigger. Hopefully they open it up next year with tags, that'd really help. No shortage of them there. I'll be out one day this week. Any perch?

Sir. Kenneth
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
No we didn't go for any perch... just targeting walleye. Have never caught any out of Pine? I think the Walleye and Pike are eating most of them. Yes hopefully they do open it up for retention soon.

Chironomid
07-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I can find the perch in the winter, never once caught one there in the summer though. You are right, walleye are eating most of them, hopefully once they open it up there will be some bigger walleye and more bigger perch. Biggest one I pulled out last winter was 11 inches, compared to Sylvan or Gull where catching a 12.5" or bigger is nothing really special.

committed
08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Trying to get some pics up of last weekends fishing trip...great weekend...lots of Walleye and a few good Pike too!

We aslo saw this beaver chew down this little tree and drag it to its damn...pretty cool

Sir. Kenneth
08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I was out at Pine as well on Sunday... Was mostly catching pike, managed a total of about 15 in the two hours i was out. I did hook in to one about 6 lb walleye, as well as my last cast of the day i hooked in to something... My line stopped dead and then a felt a huge head shake. Set the hook and my line started to peel off like crazy, managed to keep this fish on for another 10 seconds or so then felt another big head shake and it got off my line :( Not sure what it was but it definitely felt like the biggest fish i (almost) caught out of that lake. :( oh well. i will get him another day.

Drano
08-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for sharing the pic and the story.

Sir. Kenneth
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Was back out on pine yesterday for my best day on that lake to date! About 68 walleye and 8 pike. The wind was blowing hard from about 9am on but we managed to find a good hole just around a point to stay out of the wind... Only got a couple pictures... we were too busy catching fish to stop! :) Will get them posted up later tonight.

floppychicken
08-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Was back out on pine yesterday for my best day on that lake to date! About 68 walleye and 8 pike. The wind was blowing hard from about 9am on but we managed to find a good hole just around a point to stay out of the wind... Only got a couple pictures... we were too busy catching fish to stop! :) Will get them posted up later tonight.

Sweet.... well done,

How was the water ? Was it stoopid busy out there ?

Cheers,

/FC...

Sir. Kenneth
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
actually it wasn't too bad. The heavy winds kept a lot of people off the lake i think. Other than early in the morning there weren't any water skiers and hardly any wake boarders. Just a few people pulling tubes so all in all not bad. There is one idiot i see out there every weekend though in a cigar boat, (way too powerful for that lake). I don't know why you would buy a boat like that to take on a lake like pine lake?

floppychicken
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
actually it wasn't too bad. The heavy winds kept a lot of people off the lake i think. Other than early in the morning there weren't any water skiers and hardly any wake boarders. Just a few people pulling tubes so all in all not bad. There is one idiot i see out there every weekend though in a cigar boat, (way too powerful for that lake). I don't know why you would buy a boat like that to take on a lake like pine lake?

Hahahah...

A cigar in Pine Lake... Too funny. It's just like Chesterslew... So many
overpowered boats for that small stretch of water that it's not even funny !

I had some idiot fly by me and a pal at Travers one time (while we were trolling) and he must have been doing about 45mph not more than 20 feet from us on his Jet Ski .... I cursed him and his mother VERY loud and I believe he got the picture but next time I think I'll bring a flare gun just in case..... :D

Sir. Kenneth
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Hahahah...

A cigar in Pine Lake... Too funny. It's just like Chesterslew... So many
overpowered boats for that small stretch of water that it's not even funny !

I had some idiot fly by me and a pal at Travers one time (while we were trolling) and he must have been doing about 45mph not more than 20 feet from us on his Jet Ski .... I cursed him and his mother VERY loud and I believe he got the picture but next time I think I'll bring a flare gun just in case..... :D

DO you live in Chestermere or just go out there fishing? Sounds like a good idea about the flare gun LOL, that would definitely get his attention! I heard a similar story about a guy ice fishing a couple years back some drunken idiot drove a sled right in to one of the ice huts! dumb sh*t!

floppychicken
08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
DO you live in Chestermere or just go out there fishing? Sounds like a good idea about the flare gun LOL, that would definitely get his attention! I heard a similar story about a guy ice fishing a couple years back some drunken idiot drove a sled right in to one of the ice huts! dumb sh*t!

No,

I used to work out there... I fished a few times in the Early AM and always caught fish from the shore. There are some VERY BIG pike in that water but they're big for a reason... I haven't been out there fishing for a loooong time.

Yeah, people never cease to amaze me in their quest for 'Ultimate Stupidity' !

I once saw a guy hauling ***** across a frozen river (a big river out East) in the middle of winter on a Moto-Cross bike. He was doing about 160 Km/Hr when he wiped out and he proceeded to slide about 3/4 of a MILE across the ice.... :eek: Near the end of his 'most excellent' Ice-Capade, he hit a snow drift and promptly launched himself into the stratosphere, landing hard on the back of his neck. Dunno what happened to him but 'I never saw him again' and he likely dropped his 'already low IQ' to somewhere in the teens... !

Some people.....

Battery
08-19-2008, 12:35 AM
when i was about 12 or 13 (18 now) i used to sit on the dock and pull out hundreds of nice sized perch a day, but year by year as the walleye population grew the perch population decreased.

floppychicken
08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
when i was about 12 or 13 (18 now) i used to sit on the dock and pull out hundreds of nice sized perch a day, but year by year as the walleye population grew the perch population decreased.

That's too bad.

Seems to be the consensus for Pine Lake. I can't believe I haven't yet caught a freakin' Perch since I moved here in 1983 !! :ashamed:

Cheers,

/FC....

Sir. Kenneth
08-19-2008, 09:51 AM

I did see a half dead perch a couple weeks ago floating on the surface.... We tried to snag it but it swam back down again.... Looked like it had been attacked by a walleye or pike. I did catch one perch out of Pine last summer but i think it was just luck! I have never tried targeting perch before? what do they usually bite on and what depths etc...?

Battery
08-19-2008, 10:48 AM
I did see a half dead perch a couple weeks ago floating on the surface.... We tried to snag it but it swam back down again.... Looked like it had been attacked by a walleye or pike. I did catch one perch out of Pine last summer but i think it was just luck! I have never tried targeting perch before? what do they usually bite on and what depths etc...?

well we used to catch them on cut up leeches and cut up worms and maggots but that was 3 or 4 years ago, a couple of my friends have had success catching them if you go straight out from the leisure docks onto the edge of the big weeds and throw in a slip bobber and have your hook about a foot off the bottom using peices of leeches or worms. either one works, so they say

sbacresdad
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Great stories from Pine Lake.

I have never fished there before, and only camped once. We have spent the summer fishing at Buck Lake, and I usually go to crawling valley.

My son and I want to head up there in the fall, but I was wondering where the "Public" boat ramp is, as I kinda remember seeing one.

Thanks in advance.

We will post pictures from our first outing.

Sir. Kenneth
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Great stories from Pine Lake.

I have never fished there before, and only camped once. We have spent the summer fishing at Buck Lake, and I usually go to crawling valley.

My son and I want to head up there in the fall, but I was wondering where the "Public" boat ramp is, as I kinda remember seeing one.

Thanks in advance.

We will post pictures from our first outing.
I believe there are a few public boat launches. Im pretty sure there is one at Scotty's, Spruce Bay resort as well as Green Acres. Im still working on getting my boat done, just need to get new bearings from a wholesaler for the trailer and she will be good to go! Hopefully will be done for Labour day weekend. I will let you know where a good place to launch is.

Cheers,
K

Sir. Kenneth
08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Finally got these pictures uploaded! Couple of the half decent wally we got on sunday. WE did get one about 6lbs but it flipped off the line right at the boat so sorry no pic