PDA

View Full Version : Forks Friday

WayneChristie
05-11-2013, 07:25 AM
campground is pretty full, and the fishing is pretty slow. a few people catching the odd sturgeon, but not fast and furious. The dams are open on the Oldman so the river is rising steadily and very dirty. Tons of debris coming down, the irrigation is going now so theres lots of weeds and sticks floating down. Low Bow is also getting higher but very slowly, still way down, and getting muddy as well.
Some walleye and goldeye getting caught, I even hooked into a little pike. managed to tag a couple more sturgeon, guy up a bit from us hooked his first, a nice fat 50 incher, and Dago caught a nice 54 incher late afternoon, so I got to use up 2 more tags. Dagos fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSjqJribh9M

bwackwabbit
05-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Nice Dino!

jacenbeers
05-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I have been down at the Forks for opening day for the last 3 years and this is the first year that it has been super low and super slow. There were 5 of us fishing for 3 days and we caught tons of suckers and goldeye and even some awesome walleye but only 3 of us caught a sturgeon.

Guitarplayingfish
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
The forks is PACKED with people..... absolutely brutal, I hate going down there.

Icefisher2885
05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
The forks is PACKED with people..... absolutely brutal, I hate going down there.

I remember when we would go down there and pitch a tent for a week - might see 2-3 other groups of people until the weekend rolled around. It was awesome. Those days are long gone though.

WayneChristie
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM
I remember when we would go down there and pitch a tent for a week - might see 2-3 other groups of people until the weekend rolled around. It was awesome. Those days are long gone though.

3 words, explore explore explore

Guitarplayingfish
05-11-2013, 04:59 PM
3 words, explore explore explore

The forks is hands down the best area to go for sturgeon... you can still find them elsewhere, but access is difficult without a jetboat.

Icallwalleyepickerel
05-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Hey Wayne, nice job on the tagging. Doing your part! Nice to see.

Question...everyone talks about using jet boats on the river, do you think a guy could get up the river in a small tinner and an small outboard?

To give you an idea, each year I manage the Bow from McKinnon all the way up to Policemans in my tinner, a 9.9 and a big rock in the bow. There are places where I need to be careful, but I simply put the motor on tilt and motor up no problem.

I have never been down to the forks area, but would love to give it a try...is the water deeper and quicker down there?

Thanks...
Pick

ETOWNCANUCK
05-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Nice looking fish.

Fishnafterwork
05-12-2013, 01:01 AM
The forks is hands down the best area to go for sturgeon... you can still find them elsewhere, but access is difficult without a jetboat.

Where there's a will there's a way ...:)

WayneChristie
05-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Hey Wayne, nice job on the tagging. Doing your part! Nice to see.

Question...everyone talks about using jet boats on the river, do you think a guy could get up the river in a small tinner and an small outboard?

To give you an idea, each year I manage the Bow from McKinnon all the way up to Policemans in my tinner, a 9.9 and a big rock in the bow. There are places where I need to be careful, but I simply put the motor on tilt and motor up no problem.

I have never been down to the forks area, but would love to give it a try...is the water deeper and quicker down there?

Thanks...
Pick

in full runoff you might be able to get a ways up. but at low water you wont get very far.