PDA

View Full Version : fishin goldeye

flint guy
05-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Was in the NSR this morning really early, and found some great goldeye fishing. Lots of strong hits I missed, because I suck.... But I landed 8 in 3 hours. They measured from 16 to 19.5 inches, I have never caught a goldeye, or have I seen one before... But I think these are some brutes. I have no Idea what they weigh... but close to 3 lbs Im sure.

Used a pickrel rig and worms. I had one hit on the fly rod, fishing some kind of fuzzy foam thing, but it was to windy for me to cast so I gave up.

Water level is rising a little, still reasonably clear. Teh banks are sure soft.

Cheers

AppleJax
05-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I was night fishing last night and caught 3 of them. Carefull you don't set your hook too hard while bait fishing. They have a very fragile mouth you can literally pull their jaw off.

waterninja
05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
i agree with 2 first posts. they fight really hard and there seems to be a lot of big ones this year.
once you land them you have to be carefull as they seem more fragile when it comes to releasing them.

chriscosta
05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
good to hear me n the fam will be down at hermitage in the morning for mothers day

Pikes"R"us
05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Does anyone keep these guys to eat? I know they're coming out of the NSR but being that they're only a couple years old at most, would it be ok to eat them? Just wondering :thinking-006:

Graffy91
05-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Does anyone keep these guys to eat? I know they're coming out of the NSR but being that they're only a couple years old at most, would it be ok to eat them? Just wondering :thinking-006:

I'd rather eat a pike.

chriscosta
05-11-2013, 03:23 PM
i would never and i mean NEVER eat anything from that river it is nasty good for a fun day of fishin but thats it theres fish at the supermarket if ya wanna eat them that bad but to each their own

ETOWNCANUCK
05-12-2013, 12:52 AM
i would never and i mean NEVER eat anything from that river it is nasty good for a fun day of fishin but thats it theres fish at the supermarket if ya wanna eat them that bad but to each their own

X2

flint guy
05-12-2013, 04:41 PM
To pikes R us... I kept a couple bigguns' And I wish I had let em go. I have scales all over my house, and my dog. All I have to show for it are 4 little fillets that are so soft they are full of mush marks just from me handling them.

To chriscosta and etowncanuck.... x3

Sure fun to catch though. Im going to head down to goldbar or the quesnel tonight to try a few on the fly.

dleask123
05-12-2013, 04:44 PM
they are really good smoked...

Guitarplayingfish
05-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Here is a Goldeye I got a few days ago.... every single one was like this, they are huge this year!

howlin
05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
you have to smoke them ,that is the only way you can eat them.other wise they are mushy

Alberta Bigbore
05-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Here is a Goldeye I got a few days ago.... every single one was like this, they are huge this year!

Nice!!! Hoping to keep some from Pembina to get smoked this year.

Pikes"R"us
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. My grandfather said they were real oillllly! But if the fillets come out mush... Interesting though, might have to try one in the smoker just to see for my self! :test:

aulrich
05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
They are good eats smoked, but only as good as the source water. I grew up in Winnipeg, Winnipeg river fish were great, from the Red river were muddy.

I think the rivers hear are cooler than the Red back in Manitoba, but I have to try some to be sure.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Ive never kept goldeye outta the river but I have kept sauger outta there and had a pretty good feed , I don't think they were any different then keeping a couple walleye out of a lake . Didn't see any difference in the meat . Even when on shore ive cooked them up .

The things people feed you about the water quality , id be willing to bet taking water samples from the north Saskatchewan and from a Central Alberta lake would be very little in difference . Then again that's just my thinking . And information I have gotten from North Saskatchewan Water Authority .