PDA

View Full Version : First rainbow I've ever caught.

Mothali
05-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi guys, I caught my first rainbow yesterday. I caught it on the bow just off the deerfoot near Cranston. I'm actually a bass fisherman with no clue when it comes to trout. I caught the fish on a spinning rod using a #1 mepps lure. It measured in at 14 inches. Is this the average size on this stretch of river? Any lure suggestions, I don't have a fly rod. I was pondering the idea of using a floating rap.:sHa_shakeshout:

Alberta Bigbore
05-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Congrats!

MrDave
05-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Lots of times a person will remember that first time. Something special about hooking a new species. Lots of people haven't caught one that size.Congrats.
Spinners aregreat for catching the larger sizes. Got my dad into casting wet flies behind a float. About 2you feet of light line, and you should have some luck. Keep fishing.

rycoma
05-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Black and silver #5 rapala. Enjoy you'll catch some monsters

Mothali
05-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I got what I thought was a rainbow last weekend but after seeing the fish yesterday, I would have to say last weekend's fish was a brown. Seems to be a good spot. I will try the wet fly behind a float, it sounds interesting. I fish with a light action spinning rod and 4 lbs test, no leader.

Mothali
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the tip.... I will try it out....

Pikehunter13
05-12-2013, 03:21 PM

I would like to add to this, CD size 7 and 9 in the brown trout or rainbow pattern will catch you huge browns :)

Mothali
05-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I would like to add to this, CD size 7 and 9 in the brown trout or rainbow pattern will catch you huge browns :)

I'm guessing "CD" refers to cotton Cordell...