PDA

View Full Version : 15 hp 4-Stroke Motors - Real Life Experiences?

sns2
05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Everyone,

I need your help in figuring out which outboard motor should be invested in. In going to see Yamaha, Honda, and Mercury dealers none could give any concrete reason that their motor was better. None really had features that set them apart from their competition.

All parts are Japanese engineered and built.

To most of us, the name Honda just speaks of reliable, quality built products. Yamaha seems to have a good rep too. Mercury offers about a $600 savings, plus a huge advantage in parts availability and a dealer network to do service work if it breaks down.

Can you please give me your real-life first-hand experience with any or all of these motors.

I am asking for your feedback and will greatly appreciate it.

What I am not at all interested in is hearing second-hand info or recommendations for other motors.

Thank you kindly.

TROLLER
05-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I went through the same deal a few years back when I decided to change out my Evinrude kicker.

While Merc has a ton of dealers that does not mean you will get service. Some are great others are just there if you get my drift. I just felt both Yamaha and Honda tho a bit more money were going to out last and be more reliable for me.

I ruled out the Honda because Honda decided to have single shop dealers. That meant the dealer may be more interested in selling a bke than an outboard. The biggest thing for me was what I felt would be a total lack of service in my area for Honda.

I went with the Yamaha for a few reasons, one was what friends of mine had experienced with Yamaha and the service from the local dealer who only sold Yamaha out boards. One of the other features I liked was the Yamaha had built in engine flush. Just hook up the garden hose leave the engine off and flush the engine. A few lakes I fish are real nasty with alkali and it is nice to know you can flush it clean.

Also internal nodes. I have fished my Yamaha for 4 seasons now and never failed. I put on about 400 hrs a year so it is worked . I only run synthetic oil in both the motor and leg and service it every fall.

Was out last week for the first time this year fired right up, (elec start) and trolled for 6 hrs.

Hope this helps with your buying decision.

EZM
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I have owned all three motors at some point or another (and probably more than a few of each). The Honda and Yamaha motors will be reliable and last a lifetime if you follow the service guidelines.

Parts for both motors are available almost anywhere ..... the "parts availability" advantage mercury claims is completely irrelevant. If you venture into the interior of BC or on the Coast you will see far less Mercury outboards out there.

I recently purchased another Honda because they have never let me down. They also have the advantage of being very easy to service yourself, run quiet and clean and sip fuel. The Yamaha will be very similar and I can't offer a concrete preference for either motor.

The Mercury motors are not an option for me, as I've had spun impellers, gas/fuel issues, hard starts etc... despite servicing and treating them identically to the Honda's and Yamaha's I've owned. I will pay the extra few percent to get a reliable motor any day.

Mountain Guy
05-15-2013, 10:56 PM
you plan on buying new?
I get a kick out of the ''reliability'' comments.
I've owned 4 yamaha's and 3 merc's ( all from new) Never had a break down or problems on any.
Justy bought my first 4 stroke, a 15 merc. I'll report back when i get some hours on it.
I used to be a die hard yammy guy back 20 years ago as they were way ahead of the domestic stuff, but now I think that gap has narrowed a lot