PDA

View Full Version : Monster NSR Pike OOHyeahdiggitmadness!!

Son of Sniglett
05-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Caught this big hen yesterday. I dunno. Maybe 15 lbs. Landed one right after it that was about 10 lbs. All in all, we caught a lot a of nice pike out of the river yesterday. It blows me away how other people were keeping pike . . . destined for the garbage after one bite. What doesn't blow me away is the amount of garbage left by other people on the shore.

Fishnafterwork
05-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Awsome pike man !...x2 on the one bite garbage bit...

What's with these guys leaving crap behind?!
Spent 3 nights camping and left no trace of us being there minus the footprints...

Pike looks huge.. I would have figured she was more than 15..?
What a head !... Half the size of the body haha. What pound test were u using?
Anyways congrats and so early in the year!... All the best to everyone this season

pickrel pat
05-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Caught this big hen yesterday. I dunno. Maybe 15 lbs. Landed one right after it that was about 10 lbs. All in all, we caught a lot a of nice pike out of the river yesterday. It blows me away how other people were keeping pike . . . destined for the garbage after one bite. What doesn't blow me away is the amount of garbage left by other people on the shore.

Nice fish for sure! Curious as to why you think peaple woul throw it out after one bite? I love pike from cold water....

Son of Sniglett
05-12-2013, 10:27 AM
I was using 8 lb test on a pickerel rig. A 3, or 4 pound pike out of a cold water lake would taste good, for sure, but people were keeping 10 pounders . . . out of the NSR!! To me, that is just disgusting. I'm not eating anything out that river, let alone a big pike.

catnthehat
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
That's a fantastic fish!
Cat

flyguyd
05-12-2013, 11:03 AM
I would say closer to 20 lbs Great catch Congrats !!!!!

RavYak
05-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Pike cooks up as good as anything else. In warm shallow muddy waters it can take on a bit of unwanted flavour/texture but other species do the same. Pike from a nice deep cold lake are as good as walleye, just have a few more bones but once you learn how to eat around them it is easy.

Deep fried is best imo, dust in flour and then fry it up and season with whatever you prefer.

I actually find it comical how many people throw Pike back just because they can't figure out a way to cook it or because they don't know how to eat around the bones. You aren't going to cook it up like you would a tuna or salmon but that doesn't mean it isn't good in other ways.

Alberta Bigbore
05-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Thats an awesome fish!! Congrats !!

Flyfisher87
05-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Very nice!

waterninja
05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
wow thats one big pike. congrats. there are some monsters in the nsr.

i agree that too many people leave litter behind. really bugs me.

Walleye101
05-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Nice fish!! I definately would not eat anything out of the river. But out of a lake I can fillet a Northern with zero bones. You would have a hard time deciphering a Northern from a Walleye!

EZM
05-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Nice fish!! I definately would not eat anything out of the river. But out of a lake I can fillet a Northern with zero bones. You would have a hard time deciphering a Northern from a Walleye!

Nice Pike .......

I agree - Pike can be filleted boneless and if you take care to harvest them right out of the water and take care of the meat (on ice right away) they are outstanding table fare.

on the other hand .......... I wouldn't eat anything out of the NSR either.

deercrazy!
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
, take the time to learn to cut out that Y bone out properly on pikers And mmmmm!! Pike filleted and cubed and boiled eat with some drawn hot butter and you would never know if you were eating pike or lobster
That said I ain't eatin shat from the NSR

chriscosta
05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
no doubt whats with so many people askin if they can eat the fish from that river omg who knows what youd get from eatin that crap lol NAAAASTY

1bluZebec
05-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Awesome fish and job well done! It's not all that often you catch them that big. This year seems to be pretty good for everyone. Congrats again.:)

Fishing_Junkie88
05-13-2013, 05:43 AM
no doubt whats with so many people askin if they can eat the fish from that river omg who knows what youd get from eatin that crap lol NAAAASTY

?? well, you wouldnt get anything actually... in fact, stop being ridiculous and slandering the river, yes it looks dirty, no you shouldnt gorge on the fish out of there either, but you shouldnt do that anywhere really. eating one here and there IS NOT DANGEROUS and WILL NOT KILL YOU, despite what you constantly claim. so if someone feels like keeping a fish to eat thats there deal, no need to say stuff like "oh its nasty" "oh you just dont know waht youll get from eating that" etc....:rolleye2:

kidd
05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I bet that a pike out of the NSR would test better for chemicals than most cans of Tuna on the shelf at the local grocery store....
kidd

Fishing_Junkie88
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I bet that a pike out of the NSR would test better for chemicals than most cans of Tuna on the shelf at the local grocery store....
kidd

Exactly...!!

Albertafisher
05-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Nice hog!

chain2
05-13-2013, 07:20 PM
wow looks bigger than 15lbs to me but congrats on that landing that pike!
chain

bn.macph
05-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Monster, makes me want to get back down the water...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Nice gator .

OneGirlWolfPack
05-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Wow! That's just awesome!!

Gabriel S.
05-14-2013, 12:59 AM

Nice pike man, congratz. Looks like a 20-25 lbs to me .. I got a 14 lbs one on Wab a while ago and it was way smaller.

Sounds like a dumb question but here it is ... pike is not the best choice to cook?

Cal
05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Nice pike man, congratz. Looks like a 20-25 lbs to me .. I got a 14 lbs one on Wab a while ago and it was way smaller.

Sounds like a dumb question but here it is ... pike is not the best choice to cook?

I'm not a big fan of eating big pike. IMO there is a big difference in tast of the meat around the ribs and organs, and the meat near the tail on a pike. Whenever I'm serving someone pike for the first time I make sure they get meat from the rear half of the fillet. On a big pike the meat around the organs/ ribs has a strong flavor, and theres a whole bunch of it. Further more in the NSR theres a good chance that a big pike is eating some Goldeye, studies have found that Goldeye have very high mercury levels because they migrate a long ways down stream (into Sask) to winter. The point has been made that the fish at your local supermarket is probably worse though, and I'd have a hard time dissagreeing with that.

Whenever I'm up to NWT or the Yukon I am reminded how deleicios small pike out of cold water can be. IMO by the time they are legal in AB they are already past their prime eating size.

Geezle
05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Whenever I'm up to NWT or the Yukon I am reminded how deleicios small pike out of cold water can be. IMO by the time they are legal in AB they are already past their prime eating size.

I'm not opposed to eating the odd little pike here and there for a shore lunch, but as pointed out, the smaller ones are far better table fare than the larger fish. I personally wouldn't keep anything over 10lbs for the table even if it came out of cold water unless the fish got injured and wasn't able to be released.

Son of Sniglett...nice river pike man! :sHa_shakeshout:

Cal
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm not opposed to eating the odd little pike here and there for a shore lunch, but as pointed out, the smaller ones are far better table fare than the larger fish. I personally wouldn't keep anything over 10lbs for the table even if it came out of cold water unless the fish got injured and wasn't able to be released.

Son of Sniglett...nice river pike man! :sHa_shakeshout:

Same here, 10 lbs absolute max. The last sizable pike that I ate was in the Yukon and I only ate it because it was injured badly. We'd been eating little pike and grayling every day for weeks but after eating that big fish me and my wife needed a break from fish.

The other thing with pike is I will not freeze them. I never keep more pike than I can eat fresh, if I somehow end up with alot of pike I eat alot of pike. I've eaten and enjoyed pike my whole life but I can not stand pike once it has been frozen.