PDA

View Full Version : Drop shot rigging for perch

BeeGuy
05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Gonna try drop-shotting some perch out of 5-25' of water using a small worm.

Anyone have experience doing this?

Any weigh size suggestions?

Hook size?

Prob go with a Raven #6

Anyone try drop-shotting for trout or whitefish?

fish gunner
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Gonna try drop-shotting some perch out of 5-25' of water using a small worm.

Anyone have experience doing this?

Any weigh size suggestions?

Hook size?

Prob go with a Raven #6

Anyone try drop-shotting for trout or whitefish?

My perch rig is drop shot with a heavy tiny spoon replacing a lead. A jigging rap in the smallest size also works wonders . Blue and glow being good producers. Bait the lower with maggots (keeps small fish busy ) bait hook with minnow head or tiny minnow hooked thru tail end. Set upper hook as per reaction to bites the greater the seperation the slower the upper will produce wirh the off shoot being larger fish being willing to move further off bottom . Good luck tight lines. Try sz 12 owners super sharp and strong incase some one unexpected shows up for dinner. :)

BeeGuy
05-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Ever try worms for drop shooting?

They're free.....and maggots are not.

Fishnafterwork
05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
I drop for trout lots... For perch I would try just a sliver of a worm ( cut a worm into 10 pieces or so). If u can catch one use the eyeballs for the rest ( works way better)... Best bet is to pm sundancefisher he can tell u exactly everything u would wanna know about perch

fish gunner
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Ever try worms for drop shooting?

They're free.....and maggots are not.

Worms will be fine . Smaller chunks or small worms . As stated try eyeball on upper hook bigger perch will move up to 2' off bottom if no big predators are around.

new LT
05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Try using two #6 spinshot drop shot hooks 14" apart with a 1/4 oz XCalibur tungsten drop shot weight set your weight line for the distance you want off bottom.

BeeGuy
05-12-2013, 11:34 PM
I drop for trout lots... For perch I would try just a sliver of a worm ( cut a worm into 10 pieces or so). If u can catch one use the eyeballs for the rest ( works way better)... Best bet is to pm sundancefisher he can tell u exactly everything u would wanna know about perch

Not sure Sundance Lake is a place to dial in any perch technique.

We could easily manage 100+ through the ice before it lost its appeal.

I'll be anchored in a canoe and flipping into a slow moving channel in a lake.

BeeGuy
05-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Try using two #6 spinshot drop shot hooks 14" apart with a 1/4 oz XCalibur tungsten drop shot weight set your weight line for the distance you want off bottom.

Just gonna use the tackle I have. gama or raven hooks and lead.

what is different about tungsten drop shot weights?

new LT
05-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Just gonna use the tackle I have. gama or raven hooks and lead.

what is different about tungsten drop shot weights?

Your hooks are fine I prefer the spinshots because they stop any line twist from the hook spinning especially if casting into current.

I use the tungsten weight one because it is smaller then lead of the same weight which makes them less noticeable, they are more sensitive so you can feel bottom better and I try not to use lead if i can help it for environmental reasons especially in smaller easy to swallow sizes. I prefer the XCaliburs because they have a clip hookup instead of a knot it makes changing weight sizes easy and if they get snagged bad the weight pulls off and you don't lose the rest of your set up.

Fishnafterwork
05-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Not sure Sundance Lake is a place to dial in any perch technique.

We could easily manage 100+ through the ice before it lost its appeal.

I'll be anchored in a canoe and flipping into a slow moving channel in a lake.

I can't speak for you and your experience at sundance lake, but from my experience with mr sundance I noticed an almost identical technique (minus the weight on bottom) to how I drop shot for the real small trout .. Can't see why this couldnt be applied for perch... Personally I like pulling pencil leads through current...anyways all the best with your quest

BeeGuy
05-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Do you guys keep your hook inline with the..line or do you ever make a little dropper line?

jeprli
05-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Tie your hook with a palomar knot, pull the tag end through the eye of hook, set your splitshot on that tag end. NOw your hook rides horizontal, and you get maximum sensitivity this way. Stretch your line before drop shoting to avoid tangling. I hear east bay, se corner along drop offs is a good place to find perch.

Droper loops/ lines will take away from sensitivty and possibly cause yOu less hookups.

Btw, berkley nymph is a deadly bait for trout and perch when dropshot rigging.

catchandeat
05-13-2013, 07:46 AM
I have always used p-rigs for perch with pretty good results. You get the added benefits of the extra hooks. I recently started a quest to modifying p-rigs with beads and to add an extra arm to get an extra hook in also. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=173980
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/catchandeatfish/media/Facebook/p-rig2_zpsc455cf36.jpg.html
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/catchandeatfish/media/Facebook/p-rig1_zpsc4939cb3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
(sorry I don't know how to upload directly to a thread from photobucket yet....)
I usually just use worms, odd time might use maggots but worms are cheap. :D
I'm definitely going to be trying them out this summer!

new LT
05-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Do you guys keep your hook inline with the..line or do you ever make a little dropper line?

I always have hooks inline with spinshots you have to but even before I did as Jepril stated it is the best for sensitivity.

Darkwalleye
05-13-2013, 08:06 AM
If the maggots are to heavy on the wallet then how do you afford to get to the lake to use the free worms my experience with perch is to bring worms, maggots, minnows, meal worms, fresh water shrimp and even some bacon fat then when I know that what bait works best for that lake at that time then I can forget the rest and just bring that one next time.

There are lakes where if all I had was worms I wouldn't get much but with small minnows I can catch 12 inch and better perch all day

jeprli
05-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Perch will eat anything as long as you find them, seems like bigger the scool more agressive they get. I prefer small strips of fish(skin attached) 1"x2/8", if i fish baited. But anything will do, worms, maggots and such get stolen too easy, in 25' of water that can be a real nuisance.

CantThinkOfAName
05-13-2013, 10:11 AM
I grew up using that technique for perch at Lac Pelletier in Sask when i was a wee little one. I remember using leeches and then eyeballs. Can't remember hook sizes but knowing my dad they weren't anything fancy or tiny.
Ray at Reel Angling did the same thing for us last year on the Athabasca. Used a knuckleball jig on the bottom as weight and a floater head a foot up. Caught walleye, goldeye, pike, and a burb.