PDA

View Full Version : Big Lake

FatBuck
07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Is "Big Lake" a nice place to fish? I beleive it is just west of Edmonton.

Is there a dock? Or do I need a boat?

Baitcaster
07-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Thats a good question, one I have also been wondering. As a kid I fished the bridge on the hwy towards Westlock, it's now long since burned down. I would catch a few Jack with my dad. That creek should feed that lake, which would mean there are fish in there.

BigIrv
07-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Big Lake is not much more than an oversized slough. Very shallow and weedy.
There are no boat launches anymore, you can launch a canoe in St. Albert on the sturgeon river and paddle to the lake.
The lake does have pike (and supposdly walley) but kind of hard to fish when there is no launch and the lake is surrounded by marshy land. No good shores either.
If you are looking for something close to the city, Devil's (Pike and Perch) lake just west of Calahoo has a decent boat launch. Coal (pike and perch)lake just southeast of Leduc is really good. And then you have all the 'pothole' lakes west and south of Stony Plain.

FatBuck
07-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Big Lake is not much more than an oversized slough. Very shallow and weedy.
There are no boat launches anymore, you can launch a canoe in St. Albert on the sturgeon river and paddle to the lake.
The lake does have pike (and supposdly walley) but kind of hard to fish when there is no launch and the lake is surrounded by marshy land. No good shores either.
If you are looking for something close to the city, Devil's (Pike and Perch) lake just west of Calahoo has a decent boat launch. Coal (pike and perch)lake just southeast of Leduc is really good. And then you have all the 'pothole' lakes west and south of Stony Plain.

Thanks for the info.

I wanted to find a place to catch some perch. I havn't caught a perch since I was a kid and would like to catch a few again.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info.

I wanted to find a place to catch some perch. I havn't caught a perch since I was a kid and would like to catch a few again.

Big lake is good for ice fishing but thats about it.