PDA

View Full Version : Cool new software update for HDS- Gen 2

Mudslide
05-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Some really great updates for the Lowrance HDS- Gen 2 have been released. Includes a 5 fold increase in the GPS update as well as chart sharing between units and the ability to make HD maps with their new Insight Genesis program. If you have a Gen 2 download it for sure.

New 2.0 software update adds capability to all HDS Gen2 and HDS Gen2 Touch displays.

Lowrance has announced innovative new software enhancements for its powerful HDS Gen2 Touch touchscreen and HDS Gen2 multifunction displays. Available as a free online download, enhancements with the new 2.0 software for the Gen2 Touch and Gen2 series include GoFree™ Wireless compatibility, Chart Sharing, Depth Contour Shading, StructureMap™ HD, extensive mapping options and a host of performance improvements. In addition, the Gen2 Version 2.0 update brings existing advanced features of the newer Touch series to HDS Gen2 users.

Software Update for HDS Gen2 Touch - HDS Gen2 Touch 2.0 Update
Software Update for HDS Gen2 - HDS Gen2 2.0 Update

Key Software Enhancements:

Support for GoFree™ wireless connectivity through a WIFI-1 module. Offering an exciting new level of navigational control, the Gen2 Touch and Gen2 update supports GoFree Wireless integration that enables wireless connectivity between the displays and supported tablets, mobile phones and computers. While the HDS Gen2 Version 2.0 software allows viewing the display remotely on a supported device, users with an HDS Gen2 Touch, Version 2.0 software and compatible tablet can wirelessly view and control their displays and fully interface with engine data, fuel information sensors and transducers

Insight Genesis Compatibility - Previously only available with the HDS Gen2 Touch, the new software update provides HDS Gen2 users the option of Insight Genesis™ capability for creating and viewing their own personal high-definition bathymetric contour maps from sonar log recordings.

Chart-sharing - Offering both navigational and sonar enhancements, both software updates provide chart-sharing capability, which allows maps on memory cards to be shared across the Ethernet network for viewing on multiple HDS Gen2 or Gen2 Touch chartplotter displays. Insert any compatible Insight, Navionics® or Jeppesen® chart into one unit and view on any other networked HDS Gen2 or Gen2 Touch display.

Depth contour shading and shallow water highlight - Use these new features with Navionics Charts to quickly identify fishing areas of interest or to highlight shallow water areas requiring extra caution

5Hz internal antenna update now updates at a 5Hz update rate providing better trail accuracy and smoother chart rotation - an improvement over previous 1Hz update capability.

StructureMap™ HD capability enables users to convert recorded StructureScan® HD sonar logs into stunning high-definition underwater maps of lakes, rivers or the seafloor. A StructureMap can be viewed as a chart overlay, and toggled on and off to provide the ultimate in situational awareness in relation to both chart and bottom detail. This is an advance over the standard resolution capability available before.

Additional HDS Gen2 Version 2.0 functionality includes StructureScan auto-contrast, new panel configurations on 8- and 10-inch models, a new PDF reader, screen-capture shortcut and more.
Want to learn more? For a complete list of improvements with screen examples, click the .

For HDS Gen2 and Gen2 Touch Owners
For Consumers New to HDS

HDS Gen2 software update 2.0 - Download
HDS Gen2 Touch software update 2.0 - Download

Go to HDS Gen2 Series Page
Go to HDS Gen2 Touch Series Page

BeeGuy
05-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a fun toy. My sonar beeps when it returns a signal....

Mudslide
05-13-2013, 11:57 PM
I just got a subscription to the Insight Genesis mapping program. I'm going to do as much surveying as I can this summer. We'll have to get out.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-14-2013, 12:02 AM
I just got a subscription to the Insight Genesis mapping program. I'm going to do as much surveying as I can this summer. We'll have to get out.

I'm looking at upgrading to one of them units , I've heard some good things .

BeeGuy
05-14-2013, 12:41 AM
mind blowing.

i thought installing rod holders was luxurious.

Walleyedude
05-14-2013, 07:51 AM

I'm going to get a subscription as well.

Doing the surveys, logging the data, and doing all the computer work is going to take up some fishing time and likely be a P.I.T.A., but I can't wait to actually have some decent maps.

Kudos to Lowrance on making this update available for all Gen2 units, these are all major upgrades that they likely could have called "Gen3" and charged money for.

BeeGuy
05-14-2013, 07:55 AM
The fact that it logs substrate density is drool worthy.

Mudslide
05-14-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm going to get a subscription as well.

Doing the surveys, logging the data, and doing all the computer work is going to take up some fishing time and likely be a P.I.T.A., but I can't wait to actually have some decent maps.

Kudos to Lowrance on making this update available for all Gen2 units, these are all major upgrades that they likely could have called "Gen3" and charged money for.

X2. I'll be making maps this weekend for sure.

Updating the refresh rate of the GPS from one per second to 5 times per second is also a huge upgrade.

I see someone bought out Dr Depth and promptly took it off the market. I asked Lowrance if it was them and they said it wasn't them. I'm guessing the next likely culprit would be Humminbird. I won't be surprized to see Dr Link in the next year or so.

Mudslide
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Amazingly this new and way better unit is still the same price as the old one that didn't have an expensive compass built into it. The trick is to place the antenna right over your transducer for making highly accurate maps and waypoints.
.................................................. ..............

Point-1 Antenna

Precision GPS/Glonass Receiver with Electronic Compass

The Lowrance Point-1 is the ideal position and heading device. The Point-1 provides extremely accurate and rapid boat position and speed updates. In addition – unlike other position-only antennas – the Point-1 provides heading for accurate boat direction at any speed and for radar/chart overlay.

The Point-1 easily connects to any HDS Gen2, HDS Gen2 Touch or Elite-7 display or any NMEA 2000® network. It is fully waterproof and can be pole or surface mounted on any boat.

Hunter Trav
05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
One day, it will be mine...oh yes, it will be mine...:cool: