PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss the ice?

Chironomid
07-27-2008, 03:00 PM
126 days and I'll be out slamming big brookies. Then down south with my buddies for big pike. I am missing the ice A LOT. I can't wait for the first flag of the year.

lilsundance
07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
only Ice I miss is the one in my rye n coke. Just melts to fast.
ok, I sure am not missing hardwater fishing.

dodger
07-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I love being out in my boat and enjoying the warmth. Not missing it at all but come Mid November I do start getting some serious cabin fever.:lol:
Dodger.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I miss it sort of , I love open water and hardwater fishing . Ither apeal to me I personally love open water more but man Its so hot and humid thats the part of summer I hate . If it was about 15 to 20 year round youd see a happy fat bald me.:lol::lol::lol:

redneck posse
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
only Ice I miss is the one in my rye n coke. Just melts to fast.
ok, I sure am not missing hardwater fishing.

x2 i've had the best fishing this summer that i've had in years thanks to bigbadjohn.

SNAPFisher
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
126 days and I'll be out slamming big brookies. Then down south with my buddies for big pike. I am missing the ice A LOT. I can't wait for the first flag of the year.

Your strange! ;)
You must not have a boat :p

I do think about lake whites once and a while. And, maybe the odd burbot. The rest of the species I'd rather chase in open water times. Open water is where it is truly at for me.

slug
07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
in a weird sort of way i too miss the ice,means i can fish farther from shore than my pole can cast,hopefully santa brings me a boat this year.

Dr. Fish
07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Right on I love winter, nothing better than being out on the deserted ice when its 30 below with a wind and the fish are biting. Wont catch me sitting at home. However the older I get the more fond:D I grow of the summer months.

Chironomid
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Your strange! ;)
You must not have a boat :p

I do think about lake whites once and a while. And, maybe the odd burbot. The rest of the species I'd rather chase in open water times. Open water is where it is truly at for me.

I have a boat and a float tube, but for me anyways, I seem to catch more and bigger fish through the ice. This goes for all species, trout, pike, walleye, burbot, perch.

Hell, besides cow lake I can't even find perch in the summer.

FisherPotch
07-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I miss Ice fishing. I wish I could go do either or at anytime of the year!

IMHO I think open water is superior because there is so much choice in tachtic. Ice fishing is limited to vert. jigging.

Jester
07-27-2008, 11:14 PM

I am going to bump this thread when it's 40 below..:D

Shrubs
07-27-2008, 11:29 PM
No

Morph1
07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
hell nooooooooooooooooooo,
Hate snow, hate ice, hate winter :lol:
like someone said ice is good with my cola drink..........

Cheers !

Ayr
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
NOOOOO !!!! :huh::huh:

whitetailer_93
07-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I love the ice it is great fun and i love the cold air it also means hunting season is here i would ice fish 365 days a year if i could.

Jester
07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
it also means hunting season is here

Do you hunt from a treestand?

Tako
07-28-2008, 02:13 AM
I used to think like you, then I realized I catch half as many fish icefishing than I do flyfishing. And it's fuggin cold, and wet, and I have to use bait. Ech. Open water beats frozen shiz every time. Used to be an H-core ice man, now I just use it to pass time.

Pioneer2
07-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Fishin is fishin.....................Harold

fishman
07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I hate it by the time i have the hole cut big enough to cast my fly the sucker is froze over again......and my fly rod eyes freeze up and the reel won't work...........seriously if you think you like ice fishing better because you catch bigger fish through the ice i hate to tell you this but you are doing something wrong as i catch big fish all year long........follow the season, follow the fish and follow what they are eating and you will catch them......it can be kinda hard to see what is going on as everything (mostly) is under the water.

example
ice off....trout.........shallow water as it warms up first.......what are they feeding on........dragons,leachs,minnows, stick caddis first ones to be in the shallows..also chromnoids will start to hatch and gett stronger longer ice is off

july and august....fish are in deeper water because of the light pederation and water temperature also for sfety from loons,ospreys etc.........so best bet is to fish drop offs around the 10 foot mark and depending on the type of fish example browns will come right into 2 or 3 feet or water at night to feed...usually feeding on shrimp,dragons,chroidmoids,minnows....caddis and mayflys

Sept.........water is cooling down again and fish know winter is coming so they are hungry.....fish will be up higher in water column and will cruise the shallower water.......feeding on dragons,minnows,backswimmers, leachs etc`

sorry being long winded i could have wrote alot more just thought would hopefully help somebody on the seasons of fishing,,,,,,,,,,.........my best months are june and sept and why.......june is water temperature and fish metabolism is higher..........burn food off as fast as they eat..........sept they are packing up the weight for a long cold winter

Marlin07
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I personaly can't wait for this years ice season. I managed to aquire a new shack with propane heat, wired for lights, tv ect. Bunk beds the whole nine yards. Now all I have to do is decide what lake to leave it on. I used my buddies up on Slave last year(Joussard) but it quite the drive.The fishing was fantastic for walleye. The other lake I have in mind is Gull due to the variety of fish as well as I like sight fishing. The shack is very easy to move once its on the ice so moving isnt an issue. Any suggestions for a good all round lake within about 1.5hrs of Stony would be appreiciated! I can't wait to fire up the Flasher....:)

Waxy
07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Are you kidding me? Miss fishing on a frozen lake? HELL NO!

There's nothing better than fishing the open water, from ice out to those last fall days when you have to break some ice on shore to get the boat in. :D

Winter's for snowmobiling...

Waxy

Hunter Trav
07-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm starting to miss the Ice, but only because I'm without a truck right now and I can't get my boat to the lake...:D

Chironomid
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh man I can't wait for the first flag of the year. Low light, cold morning, freezing. Nothing like pulling a big pike through a hole.

I have no problems catching fish in the summer fishman. Trust me, I am an avid flyfisherman as well, I just like ice fishing better. Call me crazy, but I do. And go ahead and bump this thread when it's 40 below. I'll be jigging for whites in the shack with a propane heater :)

Chironomid
07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
But, I certainly do enjoy flyfishing in the early spring and fall. Like the points fishman mentioned, if you know where and how to fish it pays off bigtime.

BigRackLover
07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
NOOOOO !!!! :huh::huh:

x2

cujo1969
07-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I cant wait for ice either no bugs easy access to lakes and big pike. Also slow time of year around the farm so more time to fish.

*savage270*
07-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Hell, besides cow lake I can't even find perch in the summer.

haha well this year you should find a couple

they might not be alive but you will find em

there are alot of dead floaters on cow lake,

anyone know why?

goodold303
07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
When I can go ice fishing, it tells me that the temps have returned to normal, anything above 18 degrees is something that is noncense in my books.
Dont like heat at all, hate heat with humidity.
Nothing beats a nice minus 15 with a little sun. Colder is ok to.
I am with you on this one Big John.
goodold303

Okotokian
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
don't miss ice and snow a bit. I hate it. Never ice fished in my life. I know some love it... maybe I should try, but seems dead boring without a warm hut and a bottle LOL

Chironomid
07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
haha well this year you should find a couple

they might not be alive but you will find em

there are alot of dead floaters on cow lake,

anyone know why?

Oh I can catch fish at Cow with my eyes closed, besides that lake they're pretty tough to find in the summer.

I would assume there are dead ones on cow due to the lack of food, or possibly due to a lack of oxygen.

fish_fanatic
07-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Can't say I miss the ice... Ice fishing may be a hoot however, I much prefer the open water fishing and the wonderful tan that comes along with it :lol:

Chironomid
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I used to like getting a tan until we went to Bullshead Reservoir in April when there was a foot of snow on the ground and we all came back looking like tomatoes.

Jester
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Can't say I miss the ice... Ice fishing may be a hoot however, I much prefer the open water fishing and the wonderful tan that comes along with it :lol:

10-4.....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhpGvnOMO0

Sir. Kenneth
07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I love ice fishing as much as the next guy, growing up in Vancouver i never got to ice fish and im sorry to say this past season was my first hard water season! :( But common! open water, weathers hot, beers cold, another month and the salmon will be running! I hope it stays warm till christmas!