PDA

View Full Version : wanted a Tohatsu ended up with a Merc

Bobby B.
05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
After learning that Tohatsu builds the Mercs and a Tohatsu is less $$$ than a Merc, I decided to buy a 30 HP Tohatsu. What I want is an electric start, tiller steering and gas assist. The bad news? Tohatsu doesn't offer this. I can have electric start if I go with power tilt. I don't want power tilt, I want gas assist. If the battery dies on me when I'm out in the boonies, I don't want to be stuck with a dead power assist. Mercury offers tiller steering, gas assist and electric start so that's what I'm buying.

BTW, after speaking with numerous outboard owners and outboard dealers, I've discovered that, yes, the Hondas and Yamahas are a little better. However, no recreational fisherman in Alberta ever wears out an outboard regardless of make. So, there seems no point in dishing out the extra $$$ for a Honda or Yammie when a less expensive Merc will serve me well.

Bobby B.

chuck0039
05-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I looked at Tohatsu last year as well. Found out that not all Tohatsu parts are interchangable with Mercury parts, and to find new parts for Tohatsu is a bugger.

At least thats what the guys at Europa Canopy told me. They are the cheapest price I found in Edmonton, and seem down to earth. They deal with Tohastu as well Murcery

http://europacanopy.com/

new LT
05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
After learning that Tohatsu builds the Mercs and a Tohatsu is less $$$ than a Merc, I decided to buy a 30 HP Tohatsu. What I want is an electric start, tiller steering and gas assist. The bad news? Tohatsu doesn't offer this. I can have electric start if I go with power tilt. I don't want power tilt, I want gas assist. If the battery dies on me when I'm out in the boonies, I don't want to be stuck with a dead power assist. Mercury offers tiller steering, gas assist and electric start so that's what I'm buying.

BTW, after speaking with numerous outboard owners and outboard dealers, I've discovered that, yes, the Hondas and Yamahas are a little better. However, no recreational fisherman in Alberta ever wears out an outboard regardless of make. So, there seems no point in dishing out the extra $$$ for a Honda or Yammie when a less expensive Merc will serve me well.

Bobby B.

Just out of curiosity why would your battier die does the motor not have a charging system?

Bobby B.
05-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Just out of curiosity why would your battier die does the motor not have a charging system?

I'm not so much saying it would, what I'm referring to is if it does. Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Bobby B.

hockey1099
05-15-2013, 07:22 PM

Bobby B.

Yep save your self the money.Unless your on the ocean fishing 7 days a week 10hrs a day your not going to kill an outboard.

67ZL1
05-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I can't remember what the price difference was between the power trim or gas trim but I was sure glad I got the pwr trim. Unless you're fishing lakes with deep shoreline I would get it.

new LT
05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm not so much saying it would, what I'm referring to is if it does. Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Bobby B.

But if motor is running you have power for trim do you not?

Mountain Guy
05-15-2013, 10:33 PM

BTW, after speaking with numerous outboard owners and outboard dealers, I've discovered that, yes, the Hondas and Yamahas are a little better. However, no recreational fisherman in Alberta ever wears out an outboard regardless of make. So, there seems no point in dishing out the extra $$$ for a Honda or Yammie when a less expensive Merc will serve me well.Bobby B.

Bingo..

Bobby B.
05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
But if motor is running you have power for trim do you not?

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that before. Thank you.

Is there anyway the power tilt could quit and leave a guy stranded?

Bobby B.

JohninAB
05-16-2013, 08:47 AM
If the motor that operates the power tilt goes (brushes, wire) or the oil gets down too low or you lose a fuse or power relay.

Not sure on the smaller motors but on the big ones, if the trim/tilt quits working you can turn the one screw on the trim unit (be identified in the owners manual) and then you can lift and lower the motor by hand. Been there done that.

Personally I would get the power trim tilt feature, you will love having it and they are pretty failsafe as long as your battery is good to go.

I would not classify a Merc engine any lower than a Honda or Yamaha that is for sure. In fact, I would probably go with the Merc over either of those 2.

Lefty-Canuck
05-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Your title reminds me of another saying.....wanted a 10 ended up with a 6 :)

LC

Hunter Trav
05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Is there anyway the power tilt could quit and leave a guy stranded?

Bobby B.

Even if your trim did quit working, the motor should still be in the water when your out on the lake, so as long as you can start it you should be good...

javlin101
05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
If the motor that operates the power tilt goes (brushes, wire) or the oil gets down too low or you lose a fuse or power relay.

Not sure on the smaller motors but on the big ones, if the trim/tilt quits working you can turn the one screw on the trim unit (be identified in the owners manual) and then you can lift and lower the motor by hand. Been there done that.

Personally I would get the power trim tilt feature, you will love having it and they are pretty failsafe as long as your battery is good to go.

I would not classify a Merc engine any lower than a Honda or Yamaha that is for sure. In fact, I would probably go with the Merc over either of those 2.

My Nissan works this way, mine is a screw (standard blade) and give it a turn and you are manual. I agree the power tilt is a must and will allow you to trim your motor on the fly.

Bobby B.
05-16-2013, 11:34 AM
If it appears as though I don't know what the Hell I'm doing, it's because I don't. I've never owned an outboard before. I certainly am willing to listen to the advice of those who have experience.

I just called the dealer to request a price on a 30 HP Merc with electric start, tiller steering, and power tilt and trim.

At this point, I believe the 30 HP will prove ample for the 14 ft. Naden "Canadian Laker". And, with a capacity of 1235 lbs, it should make a great hunting boat as well as a great fishing boat.

If anyone wants to offer more advice, please do so.

Thanks, guys.

Bobby B.

Swath
05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Will you have a trailer for the boat? 30hp especially 4 stroke are getting a little heavy if you're wanting it to be "portable"

Bobby B.
05-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Will you have a trailer for the boat? 30hp especially 4 stroke are getting a little heavy if you're wanting it to be "portable"

Yes, Ihave the EZ Loader trailer I bought new last year. It is rated for 1000 lbs.

Bobby B.

ESOXangler
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
If it appears as though I don't know what the Hell I'm doing, it's because I don't. I've never owned an outboard before. I certainly am willing to listen to the advice of those who have experience.

I just called the dealer to request a price on a 30 HP Merc with electric start, tiller steering, and power tilt and trim.

At this point, I believe the 30 HP will prove ample for the 14 ft. Naden "Canadian Laker". And, with a capacity of 1235 lbs, it should make a great hunting boat as well as a great fishing boat.

Thanks, guys.

Bobby B.

Good on ya!

JohninAB
05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I am assuming your EZ Loader trailer is a bunk style trailer. Make sure the bunks extend out the back about 1 inch past your transom. Also get your self a good transom saver as well just for piece of mind.

Lefty-Canuck
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Another note for the EZ Loader trailer.....get the side guide bumpers as well.....in windy days those things are worth their weight in gold. My Dad has a 14 foot Lund "Big Fisherman" and even with a small boat the side guide bumpers are very very handy...

Called "Bunk load guides"

http://www.ezloader.com/?c=adj

LC

Hunter Trav
05-16-2013, 02:23 PM

You'll be able to tear the lake up with a 30HP on a 14' boat...:cool:

TROLLER
05-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Bobby B.

Had those less expensive Mercs in my time too. Now I use a Yamaha.

And at over 400 hrs trolling a year believe me you can wear an engine out. The power tilt elec start is a must. Your battery should not go dead if you are running. I know the Yamaha charges the batt while it is running as will I think most all motors, and in any case even the elec. start Merc will come with a rope so you can always pull start it.

Get the elect start and trim. You will never regret it.

Bobby B.
05-16-2013, 04:07 PM
I am assuming your EZ Loader trailer is a bunk style trailer. Make sure the bunks extend out the back about 1 inch past your transom. Also get your self a good transom saver as well just for piece of mind.

My EZ Loader is a bunk style if a bunk is those 2 carpeted heavy bars the boat rests on. I'll adjust them. I'll get the transom saver right away so as to eliminate any possible ill effects the outboard might have on the transom.

Thanks a bunch of the suggestions.

Bobby B.

Bobby B.
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Another note for the EZ Loader trailer.....get the side guide bumpers as well.....in windy days those things are worth their weight in gold. My Dad has a 14 foot Lund "Big Fisherman" and even with a small boat the side guide bumpers are very very handy...

Called "Bunk load guides"

http://www.ezloader.com/?c=adj

LC

I bought those when I purchased the trailer last year. Thanks for mentioning it.

Bobby B.

Lefty-Canuck
05-16-2013, 04:10 PM
I bought those when I purchased the trailer last year. Thanks for mentioning it.

Bobby B.

Good investment!

Been out too many times in a tough side wind and launching a boat is a big pain...

LC

new LT
05-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Bobby B.

Sounds like your good to go get it in the water and enjoy

fishnab
05-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks, guys.

Bobby B.[/QUOTE]

I spoke with several of the dealers here in Calgary selling the Merc line checking kicker pricing. Each of them said they can't beat the prices offered by BPS because fo their buying power.
You might want to check?? Just a thought.

Andrzej
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Thanks, guys.

Bobby B.

Bobby did you check what is your boat max rating for HP. ?
Andrew

Bobby B.
05-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Bobby did you check what is your boat max rating for HP. ?
Andrew

Yes, I did. It was rated for 35 HP as they state on their website. However, last night, after my boat arrived at the dealer's, the dealer phoned me to inform me of the new ratings and ask if I still wanted to go ahead. The capacity is now less at just over 1000 lbs and the HP rating is reduced to 30 HP.

I pick up my boat and motor on Tuesday so hopefully the dealer will have an explanation regarding these changes. The dimensions of the boat haven't changed.

Bobby B.