PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu is $4972 the merc is $5975

Bobby B.
05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm comparing the 30 hp, power tilt and trim, tiller steering outboards. If the Tohatsu and the Merc is pretty much the same motor, what's a good reason for paying $1000 extra for the Merc?

Bobby B.

Swath
05-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Cuz it's a Merc. Some people think that the paintjob is all the difference

Esox
05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
I have a 2008 merc 30 horse tiller, electric start with lower hours on a 14.5 foot princecraft for sale in the buy sell section.

camshaft
05-16-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm surprised the tohatsu is even that much. I paid $2500 for my 20 hp 4 stroke new. Can't see how 10 horse and start, trim can add another $2500?

In any event, that extra $1000 is for a glossy sticker that says mercury. The leg will be diff too in the merc. IMO not worth the extra g

hockey1099
05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Cuz it's a Merc. Some people think that the paintjob is all the difference

an extra g for some stickers seems excessive.

maverick_8teen
05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, didn't you start a thread a day ago about the same thing? I understand the 2 names offer different features but the other one you started was about how you already bought he Murc. Aren't you doing it backwards? IMO wouldn't you ask first then buy? Or was it that there was a good sale? I mean we're not talking a couple hundred were talking enouph for a new rod, reel and maybe tackle for a year or w/e you might need.

I guess what I'm wondering is why your questioning your purchase now? Is the Murc not satisfactory?

billie
05-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I wonder if it is as simple as "same factory, same motor"? In my business we have residential grade and commercial grade that, for all appearances, look identical but there are definite and significant differences. Consider that Honda make over 50 different grades of virtually the same small motors. I know "GC" and "GX" are nowhere near the same quality but look identical except for a sticker.

I'm not degrading Tohatsu, I think they're great outboards, but I don't sell the big brands short either.

camshaft
05-16-2013, 10:30 PM
As of a couple years ago, and i dont believe anything has changed: Same top ends on all Merc, Nissan and Tohatsu up to 30 hp. They are all made by Tohatsu. Merc uses their own legs and are different. Nissan will be absolutely identical from top to bottom except for the Nissan sticker which adds $100 minimum to their price.

I still think tohatsu is actually the worlds larger supplier of outboard motors.

Bobby B.
05-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, didn't you start a thread a day ago about the same thing? I understand the 2 names offer different features but the other one you started was about how you already bought he Murc. Aren't you doing it backwards? IMO wouldn't you ask first then buy? Or was it that there was a good sale? I mean we're not talking a couple hundred were talking enouph for a new rod, reel and maybe tackle for a year or w/e you might need.

I guess what I'm wondering is why your questioning your purchase now? Is the Murc not satisfactory?

To clear things up, I haven't made any purchase yet. Might do it this afternoon. Might have the boat and motor ready for my trip to Lesser Slave Lake on Saturday.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bobb B.

TROLLER
05-17-2013, 09:47 AM
You asked for advise and it was given earlier.

The Tohatsu is a great motor, and yes they now make the Merc as well.

so what is the big deal, as someone else posted you cannot wear out a motor in Alberta so save the money and go with the lowest price.

BTW saw a used Honda 30 listed under boats in the classified.

dragon
05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
If they are the same motor why would they sell both. From a marketing stand point that seems silly.

I would guess that non core components are different. Yah know the little things that always seem to break at the worst times.

I can't comment on the tohatsu brand. I can comment that my 1995 2 stroke 90hp merc has A LOT of hours and every summer fires up like its brand new.I have never been stranded on the lake due to mechanical failure. It is stored outside and honestly not well looked after.
I can also say that my 2011 4 stroke 90 hp merc runs great too however there are less than 200 hours on it so it is still new.