brohymn2
05-16-2013, 08:19 PM
i did check the regs

Teamprotz
05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Just guessing but I would think no.

Mountain Guy
05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
a speargun is more than likely considered a ''weapon''. Not allowed to have weapons in JNP unless cased and or at your residence.

maverick_8teen
05-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I got to be honest, never considered spear fishing at all. I thought it was illegal...period. You've spiked my interest...

I-Love-Eyes
05-17-2013, 08:26 AM
As copied from the 2013 Alberta regs:

Spearfishing / Bowfishing

A special licence for spearfishing or bowfishing is not required. Spearfishing and bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
Spears or bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Spearfishing or bowfishing are not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes.

Sportfishing in Provincial and National Parks

Alberta Sportfishing Regulations apply in Alberta Provincial Parks, but not in National Parks. Separate regulations apply to those waters or portion of waters within National Parks.To fish in a Provincial Park, you need an Alberta Sportfishing Licence (see licence exemptions under “Requirements”). Provincial licences are not valid inside National Parks and regulations may differ. To fish in a National Park, you need a National Park Fishing Permit, which is valid only within the National Park. National Park fishing permits are available at most park facilities and some commercial outlets. For information on sportfishing in the National Parks, contact the Western Regional Office of Parks Canada in Calgary at (403) 292-4401, or toll free 1-800-748-7275.

Fishing in a Wilderness Area or Ecological Reserve is prohibited by the Wilderness Areas, Ecological Reserves, Natural Areas and Heritage Rangelands Act.

I-Love-Eyes
05-17-2013, 08:48 AM
NO!

National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations - C.R.C., c. 1120 (Section 28)
National Parks of Canada Fishing Regulations

28. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall, when fishing, swimming or diving in park waters, have in his possession a spear, spear-gun or any underwater equipment that may be used for fishing.

dr4ke571
03-11-2015, 09:28 AM
You cant spearfish national parks i dont think but most lakes are good:)

Do you spearfish just wondering,no one posts threads about it

SamSteele
03-11-2015, 02:39 PM
I spearfish a lot, but not in Alberta. The difficulty is with size restrictions for most species. A slot size is difficult to judge underwater and there is no catch and release if you get it wrong.

I spearfish in Sask where most limits are around "one over" a certain size. It provides you some leeway if you get one that was bigger than you thought. Just started getting the kids into it for perch.

SS

McLeod
03-12-2015, 12:18 PM
No spear fishing in National parks !

Brandonkop
03-12-2015, 09:26 PM
I used to spearfish for perch in alberta. Now you can only spear fish without a size restriction like someone already posted. Saskatchewan has the most liberal spearfishing regs in North America. I think I'll try it out this summer if I have time.