PDA

View Full Version : Flea fishing at crawling valley!!!

laker taker2
05-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Holy fleas! Spent the day at CV. Fishing was good, lots of walleye out front of the islands in 12 to 20 ft of water and a few toothy dudes as well. Spinners behind bottom bouncer and slow death rigs worked well. Nothing on a crank bait at all. But the fleas.....oh my god. It was crazy. Clouds of them. There was zero wind so if you are out there, pray for a breeze or they will drive you nuts. No Mosquitos at least. Had to vacuum some of them out of the boat even after driving home to Calgary with the cover off. When I was loading up my boat I saw a guy catch a 6 lb walleye from shore in the marina. Maybe they are shallower than I was fishing today. The weeds aren't an issue yet.
I might head to badger on Monday. Are there actually walleye to be caught in there or just pike?

marlin1
05-17-2013, 10:26 PM
mosquitos are bad in the cow fields today , really bad . thanks for the report

diggerrigger
05-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Fleas or mayflys?
Fleas don't fly , do they? Mcgregor is covered in mayflys down the road or is this different?

ULTRAlite
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't be fleas

laker taker2
05-18-2013, 01:25 PM
May flies makes sense but they sure are small. Millions of them. My garage floor is covered in dead ones that came out of my boat overnight. Yuk

goldscud
05-18-2013, 02:18 PM
probably midges/chironomids

Hooker
05-18-2013, 03:35 PM
They were Midges. We ran into them on Thursday. Every time the wind went down they were around the boat. They were hovering like smoke along the shore line.

Moefoe
05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Holy fleas! Spent the day at CV. Fishing was good, lots of walleye out front of the islands in 12 to 20 ft of water and a few toothy dudes as well. Spinners behind bottom bouncer and slow death rigs worked well. Nothing on a crank bait at all. But the fleas.....oh my god. It was crazy. Clouds of them. There was zero wind so if you are out there, pray for a breeze or they will drive you nuts. No Mosquitos at least. Had to vacuum some of them out of the boat even after driving home to Calgary with the cover off. When I was loading up my boat I saw a guy catch a 6 lb walleye from shore in the marina. Maybe they are shallower than I was fishing today. The weeds aren't an issue yet.
I might head to badger on Monday. Are there actually walleye to be caught in there or just pike?
Went out last week and hit the top end at CV...about 30 walleye and 20 or so pike, all on crankbaits in 3-5' of water...fun day!!

kinwahkly
05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
They are midges, chionmids

briverb
05-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Planning on going tomorrow. Was thinking about taking dog for her first trip in the boat. Hmmmmmm, wondering of all the bugs would drive her crazy. I am thinking now that the rain stopped, the bugs will be pretty bad tomorrow.

TroutTracker
06-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Was out on Saturday with a lot of mayflies around, but the only thing bitting was the fish. Was site casting at walleye/pike in 4-8ft/o/w and had a great time...

briverb
06-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Was out Saturday as well. Bugs were not an issue where I was. Caught some pike and walleye. :-)

Could have brought the dog, but thought the bugs were going to be bad. Next time she is coming with.