PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Repellents

briverb
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Did some scouting yesterday in preparation for opening archery and I was getting eaten alive. Of course we just sprayed on insect repellent which did the trick. Usually the bugs are not bad by opening weekend where we go. However, now I am thinking what to use if the bugs are that bad opening weekend which does not have as much odor.

I guess there are all kinds of scent free repellents, but does anyone have a preference they use while sitting in their tree stand to keep the bugs away?

A friend was using his ThermaCell Mosquito Repellent a few weeks ago while we were doing some archery practice. It seemed to work pretty good. Anyone else use those things?

All feedback is appreciated.

bobalong
07-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Thermacell works great, finally a repellent that actually works!!. I have not used it bowhunting yet, but works great in the boat and shore fishing.

Hoochie Papa
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about the effectiveness of Thermacells. I want to use one for bow season as well.

But first, I would like some opinions on whether they give off odors. I have a hard enough time covering up my own stink.

BlueNorther
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about the effectiveness of Thermacells. I want to use one for bow season as well.

But first, I would like some opinions on whether they give off odors. I have a hard enough time covering up my own stink.

I use the Cell in my ladder stand,just bungee under the foot platform.I won't say there's no odor but I haven't had any game blow my cover yet in 3 years of using it.I turn it on while walking into my stand so it's ready when I'm ready to sit,takes about 5 or so minutes for it to be effective in calm conditions.I'm going to try it in a ground blind this year and see what the results will be.

300WSM
07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I use them all the time; they rock. Will have them beside me all hunting season, can only expect that they would really work well in a ground blind as it is enclosed.

Northern_Hunting_Mom
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Just checked on their website, they have a refill just for hunters, supposed to make ya stink unhuman-like.

shekaree
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I was at WSS looking for thermacell and an old guy approached me and told me that instead of buying this stuff, I should try garlic powder or fresh garlic:confused: and it will keep all the mosquitos away. He told me that he uses it all the time while fishing and never had a mosquito problem.:scared:

I am not brave enough yet to try it myself but would like to know if this is true:confused::confused::confused:

Stinky Buffalo
07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
fresh garlic ... will keep all the mosquitos away.

My co-worker is big on garlic... Says it has the same effect on him as well. He'll be in the back yard, and he'll be mosquito-free while his companions are swatting away... So there might be something to that theory!

Stinky

T-Bone
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I thought bears love garlic.

7 REM MAG
07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
i would be hesitant about using the thermacell in a ground blind it says right on the box not to use it in an enclosed area. The vapours that they give off are known to cause cancer

Percher
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I got a email from a friend the other day and he said Listerine Mouth Wash works great to repell bugs.
Just pick your flavour, put some in a little spray bottle and apply if the bug are bitting.
Another product that really works is Skin-so-soft by Avon.
Products with lots of Deet works but is also a good paint remover so what does it do to your skin?

Stinky Buffalo
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Deet works but is also a good paint remover so what does it do to your skin?

Heh, many a good guitar had its finish ruined by insect repellents while being played around a mosuito-infested campfire sing... :D

Might try that Listerine, see if that works!

Stinky B.