PDA

View Full Version : Transom savers

fluxcore
05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
I picked up a swivl-eze marine transom saver from bass pro and was wondering how many people actually use them? I did notice I have a light bar mounted directly below my motor exactly where it would have to be mounted, should I move the light bar, I mean is it worth the hassle.

npauls
05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
I use mine all the time.

I couldn't tell you if it helps or not but it is piece of mind and I don't notice my motor bouncing up and down when I hit a big bump.

I have a light bar also and just mounted it barely off to the side of the middle light. Seems to be fine so far. It is going on 4 years or so.

fluxcore
05-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I noticed all the new boats in there have one mounted on the trailer so I figured they must be good ? And picked one up. Ill mount it up tomorrow.

JohninAB
05-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Have one for my setup as well and use it all the time.

My trailer has the LED light right in the middle as well. Mounted my attachment on trailer on the underside of the cross beam the light is on. Never an issue.

skidderman
05-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Good insurance for the price considering Alberta's roads are not getting any smoother.

new LT
05-19-2013, 05:32 PM
If you have power trim and tilt lift engine Set trim lock power down on trim till engine is firm no bounce and no need for transom saver.

EZM
05-19-2013, 05:39 PM
If you have power trim and tilt lift engine Set trim lock power down on trim till engine is firm no bounce and no need for transom saver.

Agreed - if your motor has the pivot point in a place where the weight distribution is exactly over top of the transom. Many "mid sized" motors - say 50 hp up to about 90 or so do not have that luxury. The center of gravity, despite being trimmed up, is always behind the transom, therefore, putting added force on the transom as it bounces down the road.

Boat / Motor manufacturers should be able to suggest if this is a good precaution on your boat or not worth it's while.

catnthehat
05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
When I ran outboards I always used them, we went over some rough road at times, and it was a good thing the motor was totally secured!:thinking-006:
If I were to buy another outboard, I would make certain the trailer was equipped with one!:)
Cat