PDA

View Full Version : Queen Charlotte's

Pointerman
05-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Hey guys looking for some advice about the Queen Charlotte Islands. My brother will be working there for a month in August and they have provided him with a house during that time. I thought I would take my son, drive to Rupert and take the ferry over for 10 days or so.

My question is....is there any shore/pier fishing to be done or do you absolutely need a boat? How about river fishing?

I am no stranger to westcoast fishing but I have never been to QC Islands so I don't know what to expect.

BeeGuy
05-20-2013, 11:54 AM
There are several quite famous rivers which are easy access.

There are a couple charters out of Rennell sound that are active in August.

There are some lakes with trout.

Haida Gwaii is awesome. There is lots of rock hounding to be done.

A variety of fish can be caught from docks/piers but I never saw any salmon caught.

On a full moon at low tide you can hunt a giant pacific octopus.

August should have a good variety of mushrooms too.

I found the locals to be very friendly in town, they will give you plenty of info and wild stories.

thunderheart
05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
i lived there for a few yrs and loved it .. very friendly folks like beeguy says and some of the best beachs to wander .. if you like to explore you wont have time to fish

i really loved it there but the wife of the time hated it .. if not for her i would still be there i am sure

Pointerman
05-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the advice.....sounds like there will be lots to do even without a boat. I may even shell out he money and do a day charter.

BeeGuy
05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Be prepared for wet weather