PDA

View Full Version : Wabamum worth it

GummyMonster
05-20-2013, 11:47 PM
evening,
a friend and i were thinking of trying Wabamum out.I know there are a lot of posts of big fish caught.
Is the fishing there this time of year pretty steady. We don't expect all monsters, just a busy day catchin. We are 500 km away , so we would like to get a bit of info on conditions right now before we commit.
Hope this hasent been asked recently, as i have been away from the board for awhile.
Thanks' in advance,
Ken

ETOWNCANUCK
05-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Fishing is fishing. Good days come with the bad. I hope to always get something when I go, but getting skunked is all part of it. I don't plan based around what others say. I go because I want to, and the wife is letting me go.
I wish you luck and hope you have a good day on the water.

Northern Yaker
05-21-2013, 06:47 AM
The fishing isn't worth a 500km drive that's for sure, especially with a zero limit on all species. Good luck catching a walleye there and you can get large pike alot of places ,probably several a lot closer to home.

EZM
05-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Was out there yesterday ............... two of us landed roughly 60 fish over a typical day ......

Biggest was just a little over 10lbs, average 3 lbs ............. it was a typical "average to slow" day at Wabamun .....

You can judge by yourself if it's worth it.

RavYak
05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
A pike is a pike. There has to be a decent pike fishery closer to you I would think.

FishingFrenzy
05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
If your in northwestern AB, 500km from Wabuman, im betting you have way better fishing alot closer to home. Im betting if you gave us a better idea of where your located people would chime in with some good lakes to try.

thorne
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I love Wab....but i wouldnt drive 500km for it.....sounds like you are much closer to Lesser Slave, waaayyyy better fishing and lots closer to you. i would personall head 500km further north and hit some lakes which would make Wabamun look like a guppy pond!

Jamie Black R/T
05-21-2013, 03:03 PM
I love Wab....but i wouldnt drive 500km for it.....sounds like you are much closer to Lesser Slave, waaayyyy better fishing and lots closer to you. i would personall head 500km further north and hit some lakes which would make Wabamun look like a guppy pond!

x2

half the appeal of wabamun for me is that its 15 minutes from my door....i wouldnt drive a half a day to fish there.

Safety D
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Id drive 5 hours to ice fish it though !!!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I drove 8 hours to go fish south , if you've never been its worth checking out , I hadn't fished them southern resoviors . It's a new lake always worth checking out , make a weekend of it take a tent along some decent camping around the lake .

CanadianBadass
05-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Fishing is fishing. Good days come with the bad. I hope to always get something when I go, but getting skunked is all part of it. I don't plan based around what others say. I go because I want to, and the wife is letting me go.
I wish you luck and hope you have a good day on the water.

Perfectly put !,

Example, I went to wab lots this winter, every weekend ... I picked a spot on the lake , fished all day and had about 10 pike, Biggest being 24lbs, smallest being 10lbs, The very next day I go back exactly to the same spot, and never caught one pike, but caught about 40 perch and seen 1000's of perch, but not one pike on cam..... I thought it was weird, but its just how fishing goes sometimes,

Be unpredictable, And results will show !

CanadianBadass
05-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Id drive 5 hours to ice fish it though !!!!

I second that,!