PDA

View Full Version : Line for child's rod

Ace
05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Just wanted your thoughts.

I was at The Fishin’ Hole on the weekend and bought my little guy his first real fishing rod (he’s ready to move up from his Spiderman rod). I grabbed 5’ rod and a decent spincast reel. I wanted to upgrade the line that it came with (the standard 8 lb mono) to their braided Fireline (I swear by that on all my reels).

The salesman was shocked I’d put that on my son’s reel and said it was too dangerous and would slice his hand and to stick with the pre-spooled line. I don’t see how Fireline would be any riskier than any other kind of line.

Thoughts?

See ya
Ace

huntsfurfish
05-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Id let the kids learn on mono, kinda with the salesman(safety valid point). Mono is less expensive, more forgiving-shock absorbing/stretch, tangles are easier for the kids/Dad to fix.

Mono

Mono

Mono

davegrant
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Most spincast(thumb button) reels will not wind braid or fireline evenly on the spool because there is no stretch to the line and it will pile up unevenly on the spool causing line to underwrap and tangle. Unless you use the thicker diameter braids(Dacron) or fused lines (30 # or more ) or have a spincast with an oscillating spool (Goldcast or Omega ) it will not work. Stick with Mono or Fluoro main line (not leader material )

Walleyedude
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
I've got my 6 year old using Power Pro Super Slick this year on his spincast reel. I started him off on Fireline when he was 4 with his Spiderman rod. It works with absolutely no issues, it casts and winds on the spool just fine. Use backing just like you would on any reel and fill it up.

Kids being kids, I guess I can see the potential for getting cut by the line, but I'm not too worried about the safety of it.

The upside of using superline is the same for them as it is for you, there's a lot less chance of a break off/bite off and it's more sensitive, which really helps kids. The most important thing, especially for me the dad, is that it doesn't get all the line twist and knots that are a constant problem when you have kids using mono.

I don't see any problem with using a superline on your child's rod if you choose to.