PDA

View Full Version : sturgeon rigging?

toddjler
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM
im going to try for a sturgeon this weekend, can anyone give me some help with rigging and bait set up, do i cast to the middle of the hole, or the sides,is a pike/pick rig good enough or do i need a three way with a dropper weight.:confused:

BeeGuy
05-21-2013, 06:13 PM
There are several old threads which include pictures of different rigs.

Alternatively you can search on YouTube and they will show how to make them and different components they use.

Do not use a store bought p-rig.

Use heavy mono.

Some guys use a 3-way with a dropper weight. Other guys use an inline rig.

Use quality components and heavier gauge hooks.

Depending on the spot in the river, drag on your rig, depth and current, you will need 2oz - 10oz to keep it in place.

toddjler
05-21-2013, 06:22 PM
i cant find this post under general fishing discussions i have to look under new posts and there it said i had one reply but i cannot figure out where to view it

Fishnafterwork
05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=141193&highlight=Sturgeon

Bit of reading but should contain most of the info u are looking for... YouTube it as well

The Fisherman Guy
05-21-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't like using monofilament leaders, as Sturgeon are scent and feel feeders, not so much sight feeding fish. Using braid all the way to the snelled hook is more flexible than braid in the 10,20,30lb class which you would at least need when fishing heavy current for big game.

When a Sturgeon picks up your bait, if they feel the heavy mono, the stubby tag end of the line off the knot, they will drop the bait.

Use a big reel with a lot of braided line, 50-100lb test is normal. Run that to a heavy twisted wire swivel, only after running the main line through the eye of a 3-10oz pyramid sinker. Adjust the weight of the sinker according to the current you are fishing. Your bait should stop at 1-2 o'clock if you cast to 10-11 o'clock upstream. If your bait won't stay put, add more weight. Now you know why heavy braid is working to your advantage!

Now you have a pyramid sinker sliding on your main line above your swivel. Run a 12-14 inch leader to a heavy #2 barbless single hook. Circle hooks are good, but I have yet to gut hook ANY Sturgeon on regular hooks.

Make sure to tie a snell knot to the hook, and test it to hold significant weight!

That's it. You will catch a lot of sturgeon with this rig. If you aren't getting bites, move.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

pikeslayer22
05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
What's best for bait worms or minnows?

Safety D
05-22-2013, 08:43 AM
AN old rotten chicken works best

Fishnafterwork
05-22-2013, 09:31 AM
What's best for bait worms or minnows?

I've found nothing works better than fresh local minnows... After that I'd say frozens and then worms... Worms are great but if there are bait thiefs in the area ( goldeye walleye suckers) then its hard to keep the worm long enough for a sturg to have a taste... But I've heard of just about everything being used from an onion boiled in fish guts to a hunk of liver...

My tip... Take a minnow trap:)

toddjler
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the info i will give it all a try this weekend.

pikeslayer22
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
X-2 thanks for the info!

Guitarplayingfish
05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Worms are BY FAR the best sturg bait.

If there are too many suckers stealing your bait, throw on half worms.. that will conserve your bait a little longer.

As mentioned above, DO NOT use store-bought mono p-rigs... Don't want any dinos swimming around with broken rigs in their mouth.

30, 40, or 50lb braid is best line to use. I would not go lower than 30. Make sure you have enough so you don't get spooled... The power a sturgeon has is unbelievable.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Here you guys go a really good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswqSYKqvmU

Now you don't need to use 12 oz

I run 80 lb braid on my reels , and 40 lb fluro carbon rather than mono as its just more abrasion resistant , I use between 3 to 6 oz depending on current but have used 8 when waters high and fast .

Minnows , leaches , half a herring , list goes on as for bait , I don't think any one bait works better then the other but never having an assortment .

you also don't want to use a cheap flimsy rod or reel as it will burn out the gears within a season .

I run 10.6 ft diawa coastal rods with a shamano Takota reel . The rest is in that video

toddjler
05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
im going to be using a shimano covergence medium heavy 10'6" steelhead/salmon baitcaster,with a 500 tekota,and 30# berkley big game braid.
If this isn`t heavy enough i `ve always got my gramp`s old halibut rod and real:sHa_shakeshout:

JRChurch
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
what i use is a three way swivels, pyramid weight #0-3 hooks and use 50 or 75 pound breaded line and that is the same line i use on my reel. good luck hope you hook some they are a fun fish to catch.

Kurt505
05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
This works

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac13/Kurt505Hunter/9BB5AC8F-BD1C-475E-86C3-F1387BEEB058-1074-0000017CEA084549.jpg

WayneChristie
05-22-2013, 04:54 PM
im going to be using a shimano covergence medium heavy 10'6" steelhead/salmon baitcaster,with a 500 tekota,and 30# berkley big game braid.
If this isn`t heavy enough i `ve always got my gramp`s old halibut rod and real:sHa_shakeshout:

I used 30 pound braid and still got broken off. Not losing a fish that big again so its minimum 50 pound for me now. Try a half worm and a minnow on the same hook, or a worm on one hook and minnow on the other for more scent trail

Dale S
05-22-2013, 06:01 PM
All I use is 30lbs mono. I tie my own P. rigs out of it.My main line on all my bait casters is 30lbs mono .I like that little bit of stretch it has when them big ones jump. That's when most people break off or straighten out a hook. Its been a long time since I've broke off on a fish. Mono is way easier to untangle after a sucker makes a big mess of your rig.Most time with braid you have to cut it off and retie. Mono doesn't cut you or the fish up as bad as braid.

BeeGuy
05-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Mono is far more abrasion resistant than braid.

It's thicker diameter means you won't cut the fish or your fingers when it's under tension.

$0.05

evileddie713
05-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I use BBJ's method.

Always preferred the sensitivity from braided line and by tying it right to the weight you can tell what kind of structure the river bed is by pulling your weight a short distance. And the fluoro carbon line let's you feel the suckers and gold eye stealing your bait.

In my opinion if your breaking off on fish its most likely your line has deteriorated from use or storage or you became a bit selfish with your drag. I always have a minimum of 150 yards on my reel maybe more if I use a backing line. If a sturgeon ever runs me out he earned his right to stay in the water.

I have been tying a large hook closer to the weight and a smaller one further up to catch the odd gold eye or walleye when the sturgeon aren't around. I haven't been fishing too long but haven't broken off on a fish yet.

This is all personal preference though. Every method has its pros and cons find one that works best for your style of fishing.

WayneChristie
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
I use BBJ's method.

Always preferred the sensitivity from braided line and by tying it right to the weight you can tell what kind of structure the river bed is by pulling your weight a short distance. And the fluoro carbon line let's you feel the suckers and gold eye stealing your bait.

In my opinion if your breaking off on fish its most likely your line has deteriorated from use or storage or you became a bit selfish with your drag. I always have a minimum of 150 yards on my reel maybe more if I use a backing line. If a sturgeon ever runs me out he earned his right to stay in the water.

I have been tying a large hook closer to the weight and a smaller one further up to catch the odd gold eye or walleye when the sturgeon aren't around. I haven't been fishing too long but haven't broken off on a fish yet.

This is all personal preference though. Every method has its pros and cons find one that works best for your style of fishing.

have to disagree there, GF had just landed a 5 footer no problem then hooked into a beast, we saw it breach then it broke the line like thread. therefore the upsizing. thats just what works for me though, everyone has their own methods.

HuyFishin
05-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Could I catch a sturgeon with 20 pound mono lead? Using my drag on my reel? Ive heard of people catching sturgeon with 14 pound braid fine, by just using there drag and tiring the dino out

Walleyez
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
I've got sturgeon up to 40-50lbs with 8lb mono while fishing for walleye. Have your drag set right and take your time. Goodluck

HuyFishin
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
One last question is the rod I plan on using doesnt have a whole lot of backbone, is a st croix 6'9" medium lighy extra fast action ok lol or should I use my crappy tire 8foot medium power

Guitarplayingfish
05-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Could I catch a sturgeon with 20 pound mono lead? Using my drag on my reel? Ive heard of people catching sturgeon with 14 pound braid fine, by just using there drag and tiring the dino out

... I could catch a sturgeon with 8lb test if I wanted too, but that does not make it ethical.

You should not tire a dino out the point where recovery is a struggle.. hence the thick line. A big boy from the river will still be an epic battle on heavy test, and it will still be exhausted... but recovering will be much easier for the fish if your using the right gear.

AppleJax
05-22-2013, 10:23 PM
... I could catch a sturgeon with 8lb test if I wanted too, but that does not make it ethical.

You should not tire a dino out the point where recovery is a struggle.. hence the thick line. A big boy from the river will still be an epic battle on heavy test, and it will still be exhausted... but recovering will be much easier for the fish if your using the right gear.

I agreean if your going to target Sturgeon go with the proper gear. I fish with a 8foot heavy action glow stick, Corvalus 4000 baitcaster, 50lb power pro, and 40lb mono leader. Sure was nice to have when I caught my first dino!