PDA

View Full Version : Buck Lake

neekrivers
05-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey Never been to Buck Lake before, was wondering where I could fish from shore and be able to catch fish, mostly looking to target pike and walleye.

any info would be greatly appreciated:)

Team Anzac
05-22-2013, 12:08 PM
North Buck Lake or South Buck Lake?

neekrivers
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure where we are going, looking for tips first, is one end better than the other?

JJMorrocco
05-22-2013, 12:43 PM
One is north of Edmonton near Boylw the other is south of Edmonton near Rimbey.

Fishnafterwork
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
If your talking south buck (by rimbey) the fishing from shore is very tough
Access to deep water is very limited from shore but if u go into town there is a ice cream shop and hotel where the creek flows into the lake ... This marsh area of the lake is known as rat lake(dunno why?) but some people have luck along the shore here and there's a small dock there as well...
All the best :)

Lefty-Canuck
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
If your talking south buck (by rimbey) the fishing from shore is very tough
Access to deep water is very limited from shore but if u go into town there is a ice cream shop and hotel where the creek flows into the lake ... This marsh area of the lake is known as rat lake(dunno why?) but some people have luck along the shore here and there's a small dock there as well...
All the best :)

Not sure if the fish have cleared out of the area south of the bridge but I have fished there many times in the past and had non stop action.....fished there for 2 hours on Monday and not a single bite, something is up....not sure what???

LC

Fishnafterwork
05-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Not sure if the fish have cleared out of the area south of the bridge but I have fished there many times in the past and had non stop action.....fished there for 2 hours on Monday and not a single bite, something is up....not sure what???

LC

Hmmm strange... Used to stop there every morning on my way to work and throw a lure...guaranteed pike in first couple casts then I'd never get anything else .. So now when I'm working up there I just stop for 5, touch a pike and off to work haha.. Gonna go out on the boat maybe this weekend... I'll let y'all know what's happening for me

Lefty-Canuck
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Hmmm strange... Used to stop there every morning on my way to work and throw a lure...guaranteed pike in first couple casts then I'd never get anything else .. So now when I'm working up there I just stop for 5, touch a pike and off to work haha.. Gonna go out on the boat maybe this weekend... I'll let y'all know what's happening for me

Yah I would be curious if you get some.....I chucked flys and spinners there and not a sniff.....maybe it was just an off day but I have had good luck early season there too.

LC

Fishnafterwork
05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Buck is a tricky one... But this is deffinately my fav time ... Putting along with the minnkota in the shallows u see how many millions of walleye are actually in there ... Another month and it'll b so chalk full of weeds and algae you would think the lake is dead... Used to nail them an hour before sunset by the hundreds but the last 2 years have been real tough... That being said my flyfishing bud caught well over a hundred one night last fall pulling buggers and clauser minnows... I'll see if they still have a taste for jig and minnow:)

Lefty-Canuck
05-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Buck is a tricky one... But this is deffinately my fav time ... Putting along with the minnkota in the shallows u see how many millions of walleye are actually in there ... Another month and it'll b so chalk full of weeds and algae you would think the lake is dead... Used to nail them an hour before sunset by the hundreds but the last 2 years have been real tough... That being said my flyfishing bud caught well over a hundred one night last fall pulling buggers and clauser minnows... I'll see if they still have a taste for jig and minnow:)

I agree now is the time before the weeds....egg sucking leech is a good one too.

LC

Fishnafterwork
05-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Hmmm... U got me thinking... We've always done better with leeches in early spring.... Might just have to try the fly rod a bit but I'll still do a bit of spin so I can accurately judge what's happening... And with no blades of grass around to snap my rod on a snag I might just accomplish a cast or two :)

Tip for anyone using bait .... Buck lake minnows look like no other minnow I have ever seen... If you can get ahold of some locals they usually out produce frozens 4 to 1

neekrivers
05-22-2013, 01:26 PM
my bad only thought there was one lake not too, but was referring to one by Rimbey.

thanks for the info.

Nait Hadya
05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
You can shore fish from the bridge,along the shore north of West Country Leisure and at Calhoun Bay. Waders are necessary unless your able to cast a long ways. Caught my largest walleye and perch out of Buck, shore fishing at dusk with a countdown rap.

perchie15
05-23-2013, 12:11 PM
I was there on sunday, and between 3 of us we caught 16walleye/pike, in 4hrs, a person can also fish from shore at the north end where the campground is, below the dam... I know couple yrs back u had to fish 25m from the dam, dunno if its still like that.. And ofcourse the bridge in town was always the best spot for me until i got a boat i havent fished there in atleast 5yrs, since i graduated there... other then that its pretty slim pickings for shore fishing...

chriscosta
05-23-2013, 10:48 PM
might i add that lakes got some solid nightcrawler spots for those who care to try their luck ... midnight is the time down by the campground is a good place to start and i find the walleye love them and i dont use worms ever for walleye ... except at buck

perchie15
05-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Worms really?? Mmm I think I'm gonna be tryin buck tomorrow! Try for the jumbos anyway.. I've never been on that lake later then mid sunset, just cuz it's pain ass loadin boat in dark is all!! Campground I'm guess it u mean the one on north end? Well to be honest I've never boated in front of the south one but I don't see ppl fish there most fish across from West Country...