PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd lake lodge

ryker
05-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Anyone every been to this fly in lodge? I've heard the fishing is great and the accommodations are awesome. The wife won us a 3 night trip all inclusive, everything from meals lodging and fishing gear. So what should I take there's a 50lb limit for the plane. We are driving to fort Mac from Calgary any ideas where to camp 3/4's of the way preferably near water. Thanks

Kurt505
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I used to guide on that lake. I would suggest a trip to Big Fish lake for lakers and monster pike in the bay where it says "lake" in the pic, a morning at the grayling hole on the south east corner where the clearwater river flows out for some grayling 2-3lbs then take the river and jump the beaver dam to get into Langley lake for more lakers. Hazels Hole is fairly close to the lodge, in the bay below the "o" in Lloyd in the pic, for some jigging for walleye. The river that flows into Lloyd at the east end is great for walleye and larger pike, go up about a mile to where the two rivers meet, cast and jig there for a while then float the north shore back jigging. Lloyd lake itself is good for numbers, but not so much for size. 5" Yellow jigs for walleye, red and yellow five O diamonds for pike/lakers, extra large white jigs for lakes on big fish tipped of with smelts and a stinger hook, gold Panther Martin with orange buck tails for grayling.

I was fortunate enough to guide with the legendary Augie, no one knows that lake like he did. He went thru the ice a few years back and drowned. Lawrence or Tobie might still be guiding up there, it's been about 13yrs since I was up there. Pliska's used to own the lodge when I worked there, they used to sell the "hot" tackle in the kitchen cabin, I'm not sure about now tho. I've flown out there in a 206 that was so weighted down the tires were half flattened so it's nice to hear that there's a 50lb cap.

As far as camping on the way there goes, about 1-1/2hrs south of McMurray is house river, mosquito or black gnat for some grayling maybe?

You'll have to post some pics, like I said its been a while since I've been up there and it would be nice to see some fresh pics. Wish I was headed there.

PS, if your fishing Big Fish in the bay and a 5' pike swims up to the boat and pokes his head out of the water to look at you, don't bother trying to get him to bite because you'll only frustrate yourself!

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac13/Kurt505Hunter/3E99E38F-4390-4503-8757-1F1913516B5D-1074-0000019937FE8856.jpg

1899b
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Grew up just a few houses down from the Pliska's. Ryan and i used to shoot grouse with our pellet guns as kids. Good times. :)

Kurt505
05-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Grew up just a few houses down from the Pliska's. Ryan and i used to shoot grouse with our pellet guns as kids. Good times. :)

If you knew Ryan, you probably know me. He used to live at my house when his folks went to the lodge in May, then we'd go spend the summer at the lodge when school was out.

ryker
05-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks Kurt great info hope to try it all as for the lodge it's under new owners the Uniat brothers are running it now and newly renovated the place. Any tips for the hi way to Fort Mac on a weekend

Kurt505
05-22-2013, 10:41 PM
I haven't driven north to ft Mac in a while but it's not all that bad. Take your time and drive safe. Make sure you try to get out to Big Fish and the grayling hole. If the guide you have isn't too farmiliar with Big Fish, right about where the dot of the "i" is in "fish" in the pic, there is a hole with 80' of water, if the lakers have already moved down by the time you go there, that's where they'll be. I've had to quit fishing for the day because my arms were too soar from pulling up 16-20 pounders all day long, no joke! And the grayling there are hogs, it's nothing to pull out a 2lb+ grayling.

Good Luck! I hope the weathers good for you, bring warm rain gear just in case.

ryker
05-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Sounds like it should be good fishin I guess they offer bear hunts as well would be neat to see some. Do u or anyone have pics of the country side

captain_k
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Say hi to derrick for me, hes the one of the owners

-brad

EZM
05-23-2013, 09:37 PM
The King of Lloyd still has to be Bud Polkosnik - fish just jump right in the boat when they see him tying on Grampa's magic lure.

They just give up.

Bud is the King ..............

ryker
06-03-2013, 03:26 PM
What was grandpas magic lure?:)

Kurt505
06-03-2013, 04:25 PM
What was grandpas magic lure?:)

When are you going, or have you already gone?

ryker
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
3 weeks till take off, and I'm already packed:snapoutofit: