PDA

View Full Version : Scraped cut and bruised

WayneChristie
05-23-2013, 08:54 PM
And.. loving it! :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: Great day to sleep in, crazy branch breaking wind, torrential downpour, and cold. So I decided to go fishing.
Was talking to the only other person in the whole area, he mentioned he had a couple buddys who tagged. A short while later he caught a small sturgeon, so I tagged it for him. Then he caught another one, tagged it too. then my turn, ended up with 6 sturgeon today, 5 under 30 inches, and my second best at 54 1/2 inches. Interesting fight, especially since it was during the hardest downpour of the day. Thought it was just a sucker since it came straight to the shore, then it saw me and decided to go to Saskatchewan instead. Got one more after the other fellow did as well. One of mine was already PIT tagged, and my last one of the day turned out to be the same one I tagged for him earlier in the day. Despite having to sit in the truck most of the day it turned out to be a gooder, except the frikkin partridge that decided to commit suicide in my grill on the way home. I swear my truck has a bird magnet in it!:angry3:
Back at it tomorrow, getting close to the amount of tags I used when I started last year already, got a goal in mind, and a goal of catching 100 fish this time around too to beat the 68 I caught last year.
Bow River water on the far side, a bit clearer. I saw a sturgeon breach completely out of the water over there that at the distance and size would have been a very easy 5 footer, and Id bet more than that. Next time!!!!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0986_zps15853c08.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0986_zps15853c08.jpg.html)
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0988_zps3c1098e8.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0988_zps3c1098e8.jpg.html)
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0990_zpsc35c1fb8.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0990_zpsc35c1fb8.jpg.html)
54 1/2 inches and skinny as a rail
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0991_zps36a36986.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0991_zps36a36986.jpg.html)
really cute til they roll in your hand! :sign0176:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0992_zps0dc84dba.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0992_zps0dc84dba.jpg.html)
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0993_zps5cf7e662.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0993_zps5cf7e662.jpg.html)
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0994_zps99ae10c8.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0994_zps99ae10c8.jpg.html)
and a partridge without a pear tree
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/May%2023%202013/IMG_0994_zps99ae10c8.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/May%2023%202013/IMG_0994_zps99ae10c8.jpg.html)

bwackwabbit
05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Right On!

EZM
05-23-2013, 09:32 PM
um ..... Wayne ............. that one sturgeon behind the wheel isn't licensed to drive your truck ........ besides ........ looks like he's been drinking ..........(trying to look sober for the cops).

WayneChristie
05-23-2013, 09:38 PM
just glad he didnt slip and fall in my lap! :scared0018:

new LT
05-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Great story and pic as usual thanks for sharing....:)

just_dave
05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Very cool!

I always enjoy your posts.

WayneChristie
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
oops messed up the last pic. other fish looks the same only different :bad_boys_20:

OneGirlWolfPack
05-23-2013, 11:24 PM
I get more excited for the weekend with every thread you post! lol! Can't wait to see one of those in person.

waterninja
05-24-2013, 02:39 AM
your driving me crazy. congrats.

i'll get you back in feb. lol

Marvel
05-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Wayne,

It's great that you are putting the effort into tagging and have upgraded your handling technique from rolling them in the sand to using the carpet but you really have to keep these fish in the water while you are processing them. Go buy or make a cradle that holds water. With the time it takes to tag/record your catch they shouldn't be out of the water for that long (or in the cab of your truck).

Just some useful advise....

WayneChristie
05-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Wayne,

It's great that you are putting the effort into tagging and have upgraded your handling technique from rolling them in the sand to using the carpet but you really have to keep these fish in the water while you are processing them. Go buy or make a cradle that holds water. With the time it takes to tag/record your catch they shouldn't be out of the water for that long (or in the cab of your truck).

Rolling them in sand?

Guitarplayingfish
05-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Go get yourself a big bucket, makes life a lot easier.

When we tag sturgeon we always use a large blue (recycling?) bucket, just fill it with water and make sure you change water every couple of fish or every hour.. maintain that D.O. Once the fish is in the water bucket, processing is easy, and there is no worry of having the fish out of water too long.

Also, tag is supposed to be on left side of fish? or was that a recap?

MoFugger21
05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Wayne,

Well done Wayne! Good to see your reports and pictures again!

Marvel
05-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Why all the name calling? Dick?...asshat?... I'm just stating the obvious and offering a solution to handle the fish better - isn't the whole point of public forums to learn from other guys via their own personal experiences? It takes 4 - 5 minutes to process a fish - not many fish like being out of the water for that long never mind 30 seconds.

Guitarplayingfish
05-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Why all the name calling? Dick?...asshat?... I'm just stating the obvious and offering a solution to handle the fish better - isn't the whole point of public forums to learn from other guys via their own personal experiences? It takes 4 - 5 minutes to process a fish - not many fish like being out of the water for that long never mind 30 seconds.

I have to say, Wayne you are doing a great job. The more data we can gather about Lake Sturgeon the better. There is no reason for name-calling, we are all here in the name of fish - Hence, why we want them treated as best as possible.

Think about the bucket, it really makes a world of difference for tagging. Attached is how we do it.. as you can see it gets tough with the bigger fish, but the head still gets totally submerged.

Garry B
05-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the pics Wayne. I keep on being amazed there are so many Sturgeon in Alberta when you guys keep catching them.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Ok I wasn't going to respond to this but I kind of agree with Marvel . Im not here to pick any fights or make anyone look bad .

I believe Marvel also tags sturgeon , not 100% sure but pretty sure he does , and I know when we were set up with equipment we were provided with a cradle you fill with water so you take the 2 seconds it takes to transfer the fish to the cradle , and do your thing if it takes 10 minutes the fish remains in water .

I know I will get someone who is along the shore to help me out , do up the measurements get the person to write them down , and if lucky maybe another to hold it by the tail to be able to inject that pit tag into them .

Wayne you might want to ask the head of the tagging program down there to get one of them cradles . Its much easier and the fish remains wet .

Again Im not here to cause a fight or crap storm which has occurred in other threads . After all we are to have the fishes best interest in mind , a little water in your shoes isn't bad .

Keep doing what you do Wayne you get into huge amounts of them fish .

hal53
05-24-2013, 04:48 PM
PM's are a good thing............

Alberta Bigbore
05-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Why all the name calling? Dick?...asshat?...

Ill agree, keep the thread civil ... the one guy was only making a suggestion. Like an opinion, ya know?

pelada trochu
05-25-2013, 04:20 PM
I always like making it easier to fish clean whatever.

What about some sort of tripod system that would hold your cradle so that your hands could be free when on your own. This tripod would support the cradle after and during tagging and could be pointed into the current to revive fish. To prevent disease transfer it can be bleached once in a while and used only for sturgeon.

I have a buddy with aluminum welding equip should anyone create a system that works for wayne

WayneChristie
05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Ill agree, keep the thread civil ... the one guy was only making a suggestion. Like an opinion, ya know?

"your handling technique from rolling them in the sand "
sorry someone calling me out for something Ive never done, who doesnt know me or anything about me, is a dick. I will tell him to his face if he likes. as for the truck picture Ive emailed the biologist down here since Marvel decided to complain about it without knowing one single fact, fact is my truck was within 3 feet of the river, it was pouring rain, had the fish back in the river to make sure it was ok, popped in the truck for 5 or less seconds to take a quick pic with my non waterproof camera and released the fish right away. again I love how people are so friggin quick to judge with zero facts, keep up the good work people.

hal53
05-25-2013, 09:22 PM
sorry someone calling me out for something Ive never done, who doesnt know me or anything about me, is a dick. I will tell him to his face if he likes. as for the truck picture Ive emailed the biologist down here since Marvel decided to complain about it without knowing one single fact, fact is my truck was within 3 feet of the river, it was pouring rain, had the fish back in the river to make sure it was ok, popped in the truck for 5 or less seconds to take a quick pic with my non waterproof camera and released the fish right away. again I love how people are so friggin quick to judge with zero facts, keep up the good work people.
don't let the idiots get u down, wow! 27 already!!!.cool, and , as always great pics.....

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-25-2013, 09:29 PM

I hear you Wayne , but like I said in my post I wasn't calling you out or anything like that . Your amazing at what you do down there . This is why I avoid pictures and posting them on here or story's it just becomes a peeing match my shmeckles bigger then yours so on so on so on .

Bolete
05-25-2013, 09:36 PM

+1. I would be ticked off too.

There appears to be a lot of sanctimonious fishermen on this site.

baitfisher83
05-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Keep in mind you're on AO, and the less amount of posts they have, they more likely them seem to be around just to cause trouble.

OneGirlWolfPack
05-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Wayne, thank you so much for inviting me out fishing today! I can't remember the last time I had that much fun! It was great meeting you, Karen, Bill, Dale, Pam and Roger. I'm still laughing at you asking me if I robbed a pimp when you saw my car. Hahah! And what you said when you first saw me. Too funny! Thanks for making it possible for me to see my first sturgeon! You guys are beyond awesome! :sHa_shakeshout:

Marvel
05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
sorry someone calling me out for something Ive never done, who doesnt know me or anything about me, is a dick.

I'm just speaking from the pictures YOU have posted..... Do I need anymore facts than that?

I'm not trying to pick fights just offering up some suggestions. Bottom line is you should try and keep the fish in the water more.

WayneChristie
05-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Wayne, thank you so much for inviting me out fishing today! I can't remember the last time I had that much fun! It was great meeting you, Karen, Bill, Dale, Pam and Roger. I'm still laughing at you asking me if I robbed a pimp when you saw my car. Hahah! And what you said when you first saw me. Too funny! Thanks for making it possible for me to see my first sturgeon! You guys are beyond awesome! :sHa_shakeshout:

It was great finally meeting you too, but I was doomed from the start, with Ogre jinxing me on one side and you jinxing me on the other! at least someone got a couple sturgeon! Next time you wear the tinfoil hat so I can catch some too! :bad_boys_20:

BGSH
05-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Loving the sturgeon Wayne. I don't think this is the NSr. Milk river ?? How is it that there is such a healthy sturgeon population down there. What makes it different then the NSr where folks up here have a way less catch rate?

diamond k
05-27-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm just speaking from the pictures YOU have posted..... Do I need anymore facts than that?

I'm not trying to pick fights just offering up some suggestions. Bottom line is you should try and keep the fish in the water more.

I agree with you 100 percent. Dont sweat it eventually he pout again and leave again. Great tips for all the new sturgeon fishermen for a fish that is rare and valuble. Cant afford to lose even one due to bad handling.

huntsfurfish
05-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Agree, good on you for pointing that out.

quote diamond k
"Great tips for all the new sturgeon fishermen for a fish that is rare and valuble. Cant afford to lose even one due to bad handling".

Also agree.

Some people do not handle criticism well, the suggestions are very valid in this thread. The fish need to be in water!

A long fight and then an additional 5 min or so out of water is extremely hard on fish!

kidd
05-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Lots of guys have stopped posting pics which is too bad. Must be a sturgeon or trout thing, or Bow river thing. Nobody ever says a word about posted pics of walleye or pike rolling around the banks of the NSR.
kidd

huntsfurfish
05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Sturgeon are protected.:) Some on this thread are just pointing out that keeping them in the water as much as possible is a good thing.

WayneChristie
05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Agree, good on you for pointing that out.

quote diamond k
"Great tips for all the new sturgeon fishermen for a fish that is rare and valuble. Cant afford to lose even one due to bad handling".

Also agree.

Some people do not handle criticism well, the suggestions are very valid in this thread. The fish need to be in water!

A long fight and then an additional 5 min or so out of water is extremely hard on fish!

well, if you ever read a whole thread, you notice I have no disagreement with the suggestions, I even totally agree and am working on a new system to hold them while Im tagging them. maybe if you read the whole post which I highlighted in an earlier reply you would see my beef. and just for the record have you ever singlehandedly tagged an extremely strong fish? or even any fish?
as for you diamond K thank you for the rare and valuable contribution to the forum.
Just so people know Ive tagged fish this past few weeks that have been handled for the third time, and are extremely healthy.

huntsfurfish
05-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Easy wayne, you were not mentioned as not handling criticism well. But I guess I should have added you:). Thanks for pointing that out:thinking-006:

ps read the whole thread, have you?:)

WayneChristie
05-30-2013, 05:24 AM
Easy wayne, you were not mentioned as not handling criticism well. But I guess I should have added you:). Thanks for pointing that out:thinking-006:

ps read the whole thread, have you?:)

really, then why did you mention it in my thread? nw worries, Im concerned about the fish, not what other people think of me, if you knew me youd know that :bad_boys_20:

deercrazy!
05-30-2013, 11:41 PM
I couldn't agree more Marvel,
fish them and collect data for the betterment of the species and not to post sketchy pics so the AO groupies can compliment you on the so called great job you are doing
Your not helpin'em Wayne your hurtin'em :snapoutofit:
That's for all the clones on the board

TheRealDeal
05-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Wont somebody PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

This place is hilarious. :argue2:

CanadianBadass
05-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Wayne, Just remember no matter what anyone says, You are the sturgeon pimp so far this season, Some Guys get very Jelous and need a venting pot. And you just happened to be the one they chose..

Keep itt up man, I wish i could catch them like you do !

new LT
05-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I have to say, Wayne you are doing a great job. The more data we can gather about Lake Sturgeon the better. There is no reason for name-calling, we are all here in the name of fish - Hence, why we want them treated as best as possible.

Think about the bucket, it really makes a world of difference for tagging. Attached is how we do it.. as you can see it gets tough with the bigger fish, but the head still gets totally submerged.

Don't you think trying to force a big fish into to small a bucket is more harmfull then laying them on a carpet flat out. Holding the fish half in that bucket you can be putting undue pressure on the fishes internal organs with the hard edge of the bucket.

SCHOOCH
05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
I've got a great idea.........if you have a problem with how people handle fish in the photos that get posted on this site which seems to happen whenever someone posts a photo......instead of making a big sh*!storm on the thread and derailing it,which usually happens...PM the person who would probably respect you more instead of being called out in front of everyone, just my opinion because im getting a little bored with the same ole BS that happens to everyone that seems to post a photo and then the same old comments that seem to follow.

silverdoctor
05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
You're having a fiesta with the sturgeon this year eh Wayne? Awesome.