PDA

View Full Version : Place to Park a Trailer and Fish between Edmonton and Calgary

mchapple
05-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Hoping someone can make a recommendation for a place to camp with a travel trailer. Requested requirements are: Lake with shore fishing for kids, mountain views, relatively easy travel from Calgary and Edmonton. 2 families with 2 young kids... I'm looking to take some friends out in August.
Any suggestions would be great.

If anyone also knows of camp grounds with good fishing and boat rentals that would be awesome.

Thanks

sheepstalker
05-26-2013, 10:42 AM
not to sure about the mountain views.......But Sylvan Lake sounds like the place you're looking for!

mchapple
05-26-2013, 10:52 AM
not to sure about the mountain views.......But Sylvan Lake sounds like the place you're looking for!

I'm hoping for something a little less busy and a little more West and feels a little more like camping. Hopefully a real lake with some real trees and some fishing in the foothills.

Just went to Kinbrook Island in Brooks last weekend which was pretty good... (caught a 10lb walleye) hoping to head West in August though. Doesn't even have to be a provincial park or anything, just a place to camp.

Thanks

brohymn2
05-26-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm hoping for something a little less busy and a little more West and feels a little more like camping. Hopefully a real lake with some real trees and some fishing in the foothills.

Just went to Kinbrook Island in Brooks last weekend which was pretty good... (caught a 10lb walleye) hoping to head West in August though. Doesn't even have to be a provincial park or anything, just a place to camp.

Thanks

sorry only fake lakes with fake treesin the foothills... lol :bad_boys_20:

fish gunner
05-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Buck , cow, burnstck,swan all good lakes all fairly out west . Hope that helps.

Fish along
05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Lots of good lakes in the Caroline area.

Hilgy
05-26-2013, 10:09 PM
try open creek dam. run by the rimby fish and game. nice and quite and great shore fishing

mchapple
05-26-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking the Rocky Mountain House area would be perfect... pretty West and right in between Edmonton and Calgary... considering the Twin Lakes, Crimson Lake, Cow Lake campgrounds, etc... Trying to figure out which is best...

Thanks for all the suggestions

Red Bullets
05-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Mount Red, Open Creek, Ashland dam, all have trout. Small quiet campgrounds. Mount Red is close to pigeon lake and battle lake too.
Caroline area has lakes and streams. Both good for kids.
None of these locations have mountain views. If you want mountain views try brazeau. Good fishing in the dam canal for big pike and stocked trout in the pond. Easy access 140 km. west of Leduc. Paved all the way.
Rocky mountain house west is god's country so probably your best bet.

lots of places to explore.

mchapple
05-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Lots of good lakes in the Caroline area.

Buck , cow, burnstck,swan all good lakes all fairly out west . Hope that helps.

Caroline area has lakes and streams. Both good for kids.
None of these locations have mountain views. If you want mountain views try brazeau.

Rocky Mountain House/Caroline area looks really good to me... doesn't need amazing mountain views, I just want to feel like I'm out of the prairies...

Burnstick sounds good... from their site:

"What people really like about Burntstick Lake Campground is the tranquility and majestic view of the mountains.

This recreation area is located 3 km west and 15 km south of Caroline. The lake is about 3 km long and has an abundance of pike, perch and walleye.
"

wildwoods
05-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Hoping someone can make a recommendation for a place to camp with a travel trailer. Requested requirements are: Lake with shore fishing for kids, mountain views, relatively easy travel from Calgary and Edmonton. 2 families with 2 young kids... I'm looking to take some friends out in August.
Any suggestions would be great.

If anyone also knows of camp grounds with good fishing and boat rentals that would be awesome.

Thanks
Abraham Lake by the damsite. Just off highway 11 and follow the signs. Great fishing at the foot of the dam on the river, beautiful mountain views. Just rent a canoe in town and haul it out there. It's breathtaking. I would say you wouldnt even require a boat to have a great time here. Best part: it's FREE.

mikeym
05-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Fish Lake or Goldeye lake outside of Nordegg are nice little lakes with great scenery. i would give one of those two a shot.

Rgds
Mike

mchapple
05-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Fish Lake or Goldeye lake outside of Nordegg are nice little lakes with great scenery. i would give one of those two a shot.

Rgds
Mike

These look perfect... exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

mchapple
05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Going to try Fish Lake with the family in a couple weeks and see how it is.

mikeym
05-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Fish Lake has about 6 really nice spots by the lake but they fill up fast so you want to get there early (like wed or thurs during summer). the only bad thing about those spots is the pad is in the wrong spot so your door on your trailer is facing away from the fire pit area. don't ask me why they designed it like that.

there are lots of spots up the hill though, that are real nice also, just not beside the lake.

happy camping.
Mike

mchapple
06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm supposed to be heading up to Fish Lake today for the weekend...
Anyone know how things are up there? Roads all clear and is it still worth going? It'll be wet I'm sure, but I can handle that. I'd be taking highway 2 North to Red Deer then taking 11 west.

Hunterofbeasts
06-21-2013, 11:19 AM
its been sprinkling here and I dont know how we can be flooding so bad but im gonna be fishing too. Ive never fished Fish Lake but I like the name of it lol If you're into fly fishing I always like Alford Lake. Its stocked so nothing huge but constant action all day long. Nice camping there too. Enjoy your trip!!

TJG
06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
X2 stay away from Sylvan and Gull, even Cow, sooooooooooo busy.

sorry only fake lakes with fake treesin the foothills... lol :bad_boys_20:

Rabdo
06-21-2013, 09:18 PM
^^^^^ hahaha

looks like you made up your mind mchapple, another beautiful scenic and quiet lake to check out is medicine lake, keep it in mind for next time.
http://albertawow.com/campgrounds/Medicine_Lake_Campground/Medicine_Lake_Campground.htm