PDA

View Full Version : nsr bank access

toddjler
05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
hey everyone :) i just got back from trying to find access to the nsr to do some bank fishing between edmonton and devin, half a tank of fuel later a couple of thousand no treaspasing signes,and a bunch of no you cannot cross my land to get access to the river later im a little discourged but im not going to give up. I tried for kicks under the devin bridge for about an hour and a half no bites let alone a dino. I know im asking alot but any hints on access within the city would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance

Djcoles
05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
There a nice spot in Hermitage Park where you can fish from.

toddjler
05-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Do you mean by the outfall, i never have much luck there

Kurt505
05-25-2013, 09:28 PM
There are several places to access the NSR in the city. Pretty much anywhere there is a park or bridge. Much easier to access the river in the city than in rural areas. Sad but that's the way it goes. The law is 20 meters from shore is public land, so if your willing to hike you can fish anywhere on the river.
I've been throwing around the idea of even dropping a canoe in the river and finding holes that way. Bring a phone and call a friend for pick up at dark.

Djcoles
05-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Not sure what you would call it but there a place where there is water running in to the nsr where i seen to have luck catching walleyes.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Google earth is your friend . Or door knocking allows you to gain access to no trespassing land to but don't go banging on the guys door the day you wanna go out kinda like the guys that do that when there painted in camo and rifle on the shoulder . It's not gonna work well .

toddjler
05-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Google earth is what got me in trouble, found a bunch of spots on there that looked like the where accessable just to find them posted, and like you said about asking for permission just like hunting i asked for access at a later date instead of today, finds it works better that way, but still no luck. But after looking et the damage done by others in the posted places i understand the landowners aswell

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Get yourself a map book they work well to .

chriscosta
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM
start at the gennesee bridge you can park there heard of some gooders around there

BGSH
05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Get yourself some hip waders. They will be your bestfriend and allow you to walk the shoreline all day and find holes as there will be back Eddies that should be holding fish every 100feet or so.

bobalong
05-25-2013, 10:57 PM
It is a bit slow to load but this is a map of access points on the NSR. Scroll to page 2 for the map
http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/documents/PDF/RiverRecreation.pdf

chain2
05-25-2013, 10:58 PM
There are several places to access the NSR in the city. Pretty much anywhere there is a park or bridge. Much easier to access the river in the city than in rural areas. Sad but that's the way it goes. The law is 20 meters from shore is public land, so if your willing to hike you can fish anywhere on the river.
I've been throwing around the idea of even dropping a canoe in the river and finding holes that way. Bring a phone and call a friend for pick up at dark.

Any link to this law, Id like to read up on it. Most boundaries are determined by the high water "shoreline" and "streambed"
thx chain

FishingFrenzy
05-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Your best bet is to get an inflatable boat/canoe/kayak/small aluminum and float the river. That way you can access all the best spots without the need for permission. Small boats can be found on kijiji for 100-600 bucks... a few half tanks of gas later and youve got a boat.

Or, if finances permit you could look at jetboats... even if you dont have the cash for a 60 thousand dollar inboard jet rig, smaller 14-16ft boats with outboard jets can be had for reasonable $$$

Kurt505
05-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Any link to this law, Id like to read up on it. Most boundaries are determined by the high water "shoreline" and "streambed"
thx chain

I'll try to find something, all I've seen was the high water line but the guy at the Fishin Hole told me it was 20 meters from the river.

ETOWNCANUCK
05-25-2013, 11:48 PM
I like going to a new area and trying to find holes to fish from. Part of the adventure for me. Some times you never find what you want, and then you can spend the time and find the seldom used holes you need. Just be creative, respect private property, and get the truck dirty once in awhile.
Have fun and good luck.

B-rett
05-25-2013, 11:53 PM
I've got a nice spot I'll let you in on for $100 :p

Lornce
05-26-2013, 09:25 AM
I'll try to find something, all I've seen was the high water line but the guy at the Fishin Hole told me it was 20 meters from the river.

Was he the guy the knew the guy the knew the guy? Be careful about hearsay, check you access laws.

Kurt505
05-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Was he the guy the knew the guy the knew the guy? Be careful about hearsay, check you access laws.

Lol, no kidding. I'll be asking him his references on that one next stop in there.

EP2
05-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Official county and city maps are your best friend here. Sometimes people really do own land adjacent to what looks public...sometimes they only think they do.

zgslav
05-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Public Access to Public Water Bodies and The Ordinary High Water Mark and the Legal Bank of a Water Body.Check a web site http://srd.alberta.ca/LandsForests/Shorelands/WaterBoundaries.aspx