PDA

View Full Version : Trap Shot - Game Shot

Vindalbakken
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Here is a interesting tidbit I have heard often - except this is quoted from Outing magazine written in 1913.

"There
is a pleasant bit of fiction to the effect
that the trap shot is usually not a game
shot."

The next sentence reads "There is only one thing to equal
the age of this bit of fiction—its falsity."

Some debates never change.

Here is a link to the entire article if you want to read it. http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_63/outLXIII03/outLXIII03n.pdf

catnthehat
07-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Same thing as he blanket statement
" a target rifle shot is not as good as a hunting shot":huh:
B.S. of the highest order!:mad:

Somebody writing something to make a story to sell to someone who wants to read it.......:cool:
Cat

twofifty
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
From reading the article on shooting clays, I concluded the author says good clays technique is useful to the field shooter. Good shotgunning tips in there too.

The same .pdf link has an interesting article on marksmanship lessons learned at camp Perry (OH). Author talks about the qualities of the Canadian Ross rifle and the Canadian .303 ammo - this was written almost ten years before our ancestors found that the Ross was not suited to trench warfare. Also comments on the 'new' spitzer military bullets, with the hope that makers of hunting ammo soon adopt this bullet profile.

Vindalbakken, thanks for a very interesting link.

Vindalbakken
07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Did you catch the little blurb about wearing facial hair to prevent snowblindness?

There is a fellow on another board who quite often posts links to pieces of hunting history related to pointing dogs. I find the old reading materials he points to fascinating - especially when there are such graphic examples of how some things never change.

ABDUKNUT
07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
There is a fellow on another board who quite often posts links to pieces of hunting history related to pointing dogs. I find the old reading materials he points to fascinating - especially when there are such graphic examples of how some things never change.

Well I guess some things do change-

In my small collection of dated bird hunting books, I have a few that specifically urge the reader to "Shoot all eagles, hawks and owls" when hunting upland birds... The theory, was to eliminate competition from the area.

A good shotgunner is equally deadly on clays AND birds, IMHO. Both take time to learn, and practice to master.

Vindalbakken
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Well I guess some things do change-

In my small collection of dated bird hunting books, I have a few that specifically urge the reader to "Shoot all eagles, hawks and owls" when hunting upland birds... The theory, was to eliminate competition from the area.

A good shotgunner is equally deadly on clays AND birds, IMHO. Both take time to learn, and practice to master.

I am sure you can find more than a few advocates of that practice still today.

Some things change, and some don't.