PDA

View Full Version : New Mercury Problem

gilbertslake
05-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Well here we go.............brand new Mercury ELPT EFI 115 4-stroke. First time in the water (except dealer pre-check in late March) and there is a long beep sound coming from the control panel.

Apparently, the long beep means engine is overheating. But how can it be overheating immediately at start up? The water pump is working, as there is water peeing from the water vent.

My son took boat from the launch to the berth at the marina with no issues except the beep kept on going. After allowing 2 hours with no use, the damn thing still beeps immediately as soon as the key is turned on.

I am sure this is an electrical issue and and not mechanical, but will be contacting the dealer tomorrow. However, I am calling on the the collective experience of the forum and ask if anyone else has had this issue too and if so what was the cause?

bwackwabbit
05-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I mean no disrespect with this reply, only I have seen many brand new outboards do the same thing.

Have you checked the oil level, more often then not overheating is a result if low oil pressure. Again just trying to help.

Winch101
05-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Just like your check engine ....last two times on the ford caused
By dirty cap less gas hole .

Best to check with dealer service ......computer module needs to be
Rebooted...

gilbertslake
05-26-2013, 04:43 PM
I mean no disrespect with this reply, only I have seen many brand new outboards do the same thing.

Have you checked the oil level, more often then not overheating is a result if low oil pressure. Again just trying to help.

My son just called me again.

Yup oil level is fine, but he got underneath the dash and just moved a couple wires and the beep stopped, then started when he moved them back again.
He put wires back to the postion where the beep stopped and started the engine and it runs fine.

So I am thinking it has to be wiring.

bwackwabbit
05-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Cool, should be a quick fix for the dealer.

gilbertslake
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Cool, should be a quick fix for the dealer.

I agree as it is under warranty. If it wasn't I am sure the dealer would find a way to make as much money as possible from the fix.

bwackwabbit
05-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Count on that...lol.

ViperV7
05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Check the wiring harness by the oil filter. I disconnect mine when I change oil so I don't catch the wires with the filter wrench. My the they do the same at the factory or dealer?

Good luck

gilbertslake
05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Check the wiring harness by the oil filter. I disconnect mine when I change oil so I don't catch the wires with the filter wrench. My the they do the same at the factory or dealer?

Good luck

My son found the problem in the dash.

He called the dealership today and the tech said that this is a fairly common problem with Merc controls/alarms. He will send out a replacement plug-in unit if it continues.