PDA

View Full Version : Lund water leak/wiring harness melted

Walleye101
05-26-2013, 09:46 PM
So my 2012 Lund Impact has developed a serious issue. The wiring harness behind the steering wheel has melted! Causing my gauges to not work. When the boat hits about 30km/hr there is a steady stream of water that comes out from behind the radio/steering wheel. The water is not coming from the windshield area. It appears that it is coming from that main wiring harness? I'm taking it in first thing in the morning to the dealer. Hopefully they can resolve this because The Pinehurst tourney is in 2 weeks. Anybody have any insight to what may be happening?:angry3:

Couleestalker
05-26-2013, 09:55 PM
The speedo is operated by water pressure. There is a iny little hole on fron of the leg tha the water goes into and then up a plastic tube to the speedo. I guess since its metled the water is just running out of the line through your dash.

EZM
05-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Wild Guess - a rivet that - when at the perfect speed (on plane) vacuums water into the boat.

The water soaked the wiring harness and shorted it all out - this is strange.

Keep in mind - this is purely a wild guess ......

I had a leaky rivet on my old boat that, when on plane, ****ed water into my boat like a high pressure garden hose. While floating around or slow trolling, the leak was negligible. It was pretty weird but very easy for the dealer to fix.

huntsfurfish
05-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Yup, pitot tube to speedometer.

new LT
05-26-2013, 10:02 PM
The speedo is operated by water pressure. There is a iny little hole on fron of the leg tha the water goes into and then up a plastic tube to the speedo. I guess since its metled the water is just running out of the line through your dash.

Yup, pitot tube to speedometer.

Agreed seen it happen once before.

bobalong
05-26-2013, 10:04 PM
I had the same thing happen on my Sylvan, the little tube never melted, but when I had the steering linkage replaced the mechanics had pulled it off the small nipple on the back of the speedometer face. I just had to push the tube back on.

Walleye101
05-26-2013, 10:13 PM
That make sense. Thanks a lot. I just hope that they can fix me up this week.

Walleye101
05-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Well it turns out that the entire wiring from the dash to the engine is completely fried. Hat's off to Rainbow Marine/Barry Jay's service team to get it in so promptly. They are rushing to get the parts from L:happy0180:und to get me on the water for the Pinehurst Tournament. Great service from them!!

pechetr
05-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Fried my ignition harness two weekends ago inadvertently when connecting the main battery. Changed the ignition fuse and ordered a new ignition harness for 120 bucks. Replaced it in upon receipt in about an hour and all is well. Valuable lesson learned I can tell you. As for the water, definitely think it's the speedo tube. I feel your pain! I had just arrived at the lake after driving 2 hours. Didn't even get it in the water....

skykomish sunrise
05-29-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm going with water pressure guage