PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Walleye Behaviour

dragon
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
The last couple of weeks have seen some weird walleye behavior out of Pigeon.
Every time I have hooked into a walleye when I reel it in there are 1 to 5 walleye trying to steal the hook out of the mouth of the fish I have caught.
I saw it once last weekend and thought it was odd and maybe was a one off. but every walleye this weekend had a feisty cousin following him in. Didn't matter if I hooked up 50 ft from the boat or 5 ft.

Been fishing pigeon ever since they introduced them and up until this year have never seen that.

Btw the fishing was hit and miss. Had to work hard to stay on top of the fish. Caught and released a 12-14" sucker off the dock with the kids minnow net also.

Hunter Trav
05-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Must be getting hungry again...

Vega21
05-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Hungry hungry Walleye...advantage...us!!

baptiste_moose
05-27-2013, 10:42 AM
We saw the same thing at Spencer on May long. It was pretty cool. I ussually see this when a late spawn has happened!

JohnnyD
05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I was on Pigeon for the opener and we witnessed the same thing. Usually the fish get spooked when they see the boat but these fish seemed fearless.

I was out this weekend as well. Saturday was a dead slow day. Sunday was epic. Cleaned out 2 tubs of minnows and 1 tub of leeches. Started off trolling harness' and continued to pick up fish in one spot. After an hour of trolling we anchored and spent the next 4 hours in one spot hammering the fish. Gets boring after a while when you cant even get your jig down before getting a bite. But made it enjoyable for my guest.

Vega21
05-27-2013, 10:55 AM
I was on Pigeon for the opener and we witnessed the same thing. Usually the fish get spooked when they see the boat but these fish seemed fearless.

I was out this weekend as well. Saturday was a dead slow day. Sunday was epic. Cleaned out 2 tubs of minnows and 1 tub of leeches. Started off trolling harness' and continued to pick up fish in one spot. After an hour of trolling we anchored and spent the next 4 hours in one spot hammering the fish. Gets boring after a while when you cant even get your jig down before getting a bite. But made it enjoyable for my guest.

I love those "boring" days haha

Big Schnizz
05-27-2013, 07:42 PM
My guess is it has to do with the spawn. Probably latched onto a female and the males follow along.