PDA

View Full Version : New boat trailer resistration...

Nakoda boater
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Bought a new boat with a trailer and I was checking out registries web site to see what paper work I would require to register the NEW trailer and it seems they require a vehicle information statement (NVIS)

Who has registered a new boat trailer as of lately???

EZM
05-27-2013, 06:05 PM
You will need the NVIS from the dealer in order to register your boat trailer - however, once you have registered a "boat trailer" that plate belongs to you. As long as the description in the same (ie; black bunk boat trailer) you can just swap plates with no need to get a new plate.

Nakoda boater
05-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks EZM, I was hoping u would chime in as I new u got a new boat!

Ebrand
05-27-2013, 06:37 PM
And registrations have Vehicle Identification Numbers associated to them. The plate belongs only on the trailer with the matching registration and VIN. The trailer plate (class 4 licence plate) does not expire and can be transferred to another trailer if the registration is transferred over and the registration and VIN all match up you are good to go. The NVIS will be needed to get a new trailer registered in AB.

Mountain Guy
05-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Don't need the nvis thing.
Bill of sale is good enough, and some info about the seller.

Mountain Guy
05-27-2013, 06:47 PM
You can check it out on the Transport Canada website. Look in the marine transport section.
Just did it myself online.
Took about 10 business days to get the letter back with the boat #

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Ned your paper work from the dealer on your trailer , then they'll give you a plate and them special nuts . At least AMA did last year .

Scott N
05-27-2013, 06:52 PM
You can check it out on the Transport Canada website. Look in the marine transport section.
Just did it myself online.
Took about 10 business days to get the letter back with the boat #

He's talking about his boat trailer, not the boat. Transport Canada has nothing to do with the requirements to register a trailer in Alberta, two different matters.

Mountain Guy
05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
ah right :)
still don't need the NVIS. Never had it when I got my trailer plate. Bill of sale was good enuf.

Mountain Guy
05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Trailer had never been registered before.

Bound2Fish
05-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Don't need the nvis thing.
Bill of sale is good enough, and some info about the seller.

^^^ This. And its married to that trailer so dont go swapping it around to other trailers unless you transfer it at the registries first.

Duramaximos
05-27-2013, 10:28 PM
You will need the NVIS from the dealer in order to register your boat trailer - however, once you have registered a "boat trailer" that plate belongs to you. As long as the description in the same (ie; black bunk boat trailer) you can just swap plates with no need to get a new plate.

Yes you do own that trailer plate for life. You can move it to a new trailer if you sell the old one. Simply go to a registry with the bill of sale for your new trailer and they will transfer the registration. The trailers do not need to be similar. Just did this a few months ago. Believe the cost was $25.00.

Mountain Guy
05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
I registered a ''brand new'' boat trailer that had never been registered. I bought it off someone who never had it registered. it's less than a year old.
Never needed the NVIS card, just bill of sale from seller.
So why is a NVIS a requirement?

Scott N
05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
I registered a ''brand new'' boat trailer that had never been registered. I bought it off someone who never had it registered. it's less than a year old.

The NVIS (New vehicle information statement) is confirmation from the manufacturer of the VIN, year, and make of a "vehicle". They don't care as much about trailers, but you wouldn't be able to register a brand new car or truck without one.

THERICARDO
05-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Just bought a boat and had to register the trailer, Registries wouldnt do it without the NVIS no matter what. I work in Finance at car dealership and know they won't for vehicles either,( new ones) so i shouldnt have been surprised. Wont even do it with a COPY, either original or Lost Nvis letter with copy of invoice... Red Deer dealer just faxed in lost NVIS letter for me and I was on my way to pick up boat in Red Deer..

Bound2Fish
05-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Did the same thing. Just bought a boat and he wanted his custom trailer he had built so he gave me his new 2013 trailer. Wasnt even landed for more than 24 hours, went in with bill of sale, walked out with a plate. Done deal.