PDA

View Full Version : New Spinning Reel-But what rod?

The Great White Hype
05-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Picked up my new reel today! Stradic FJ! Couldn't pass it up at $150 @BPS :sHa_shakeshout:, just not sold on what rod to put her on...

Sensitive. Walleye. Rod... Suggestions>?

stc77
05-27-2013, 08:02 PM
I paired mine up with a new shimano crucail. IM 10 Graphite... very sensitive and strong. Mine is a 7'ML. I primarily fish from shore. Amazing combo. Great choice in reel.

buckmaster
05-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I paired mine up with a new shimano crucail. IM 10 Graphite... very sensitive and strong. Mine is a 7'ML. I primarily fish from shore. Amazing combo. Great choice in reel.

crucial or compre are probably your best choice for your new reel.

The Great White Hype
05-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I was thinking of a St.Croix Avid 6'6ML

Anyone have experience with St.Croix Avid

bobalong
05-27-2013, 08:59 PM
I was thinking of a St.Croix Avid 6'6ML

Anyone have experience with St.Croix Avid

I have one of the St. Croix tournament walleye rods, they would work well with your reel

EZM
05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
I have a new St.Croix - ML 6"-6" extra fast action tip - rod is light, super sensitive and sexy.

I love it ..........

justinO
05-27-2013, 09:32 PM
How much do you want to spend? I have 2 stradics one on a compre and one on a cumara. You cant go wrong with either great rods.

AppleJax
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Got my stradic on a 6'6 Sojourn right now. That reel has outlasted more rods than I can count...

Walleyemagnet
05-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Good taste in reels, my favorite spinning reel by far! I have 7 of the older FIs and 4 of the new FJs, all 2500s. I have mine all paired with Compre rods but they're all of the older variety in lengths ranging from 6 to7ft. Those were the ones that had the full cork grips and the little cutout for your index finger on the foregrip. As soon as I heard they were discontinued I scoured the countryside for as many as I could find. I prefer a 6'6" M or MH and always have 2 of each set up for most of my walleye fishing and flip flop between them depending on the size of the fish I'm catching. Now that Shimano has discontinued the old Compre and gone to a split grip(I can't stand split grips)I've gone to the St. Croix Legend, Avid, and Legend Elite rods. I'd recommend going with St.Croix but I'm sure there are many great choices out there, I guess I'm just old school.

ETOWNCANUCK
05-27-2013, 11:40 PM
How about a Quantum smoke rod?

Geezle
05-28-2013, 08:13 AM
What's your budget?

I'm kind of a Shimano geek, so I'd go with either a Clarus or a Compre...both are around the $100 mark :)

If you have more money to play with look at the Crucial or Cumara.

I also don't like buying rods sight unseen...I like to actually go to a store and check them out in person and see how they feel and if I really like them or not. You may want to consider doing the same :)

cube
05-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Picked up my new reel today! Stradic FJ! Couldn't pass it up at $150 @BPS :sHa_shakeshout:, just not sold on what rod to put her on...

Sensitive. Walleye. Rod... Suggestions>?

Are you looking for an all around walleye rod or something more specific. That is to say do you want it mainly for jigging, trolling crank baits, bottom bouncers, slip bobbers, etc.

Ideally you would use different lengths powers and actions for each of these techniques.

dragon
05-28-2013, 09:29 AM
I have a new St.Croix - ML 6"-6" extra fast action tip - rod is light, super sensitive and sexy.

I love it ..........

Sexy is important!

I say 7'0 ugly stick. Can't beat the value, can't beat the sexy, can't break the rod.

Penner
05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Fenwick Walleye Class or HMX. Have both awesome rods. Good price.

RapStaff
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
check out the walleye tournament series from Rapala.
Very nice.

keep6matt
05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
What's your budget?

I'm kind of a Shimano geek, so I'd go with either a Clarus or a Compre...both are around the $100 mark :)

If you have more money to play with look at the Crucial or Cumara.

I also don't like buying rods sight unseen...I like to actually go to a store and check them out in person and see how they feel and if I really like them or not. You may want to consider doing the same :)

X2

Walleyedude
05-28-2013, 11:13 AM
The Stradic reels are hard to beat.

Shimano has redone the Compre and Clarus rods for 2013, they've introduced a walleye specific line with full cork grips and walleye specific lengths and actions. They're really nice and great bang for the buck with lifetime over the counter warranties. I'm guessing the Crucial lineup will get the same treatment sooner than later.

If you want the ultimate and have the budget for it, look at the G Loomis rods, the GLX is the king, but the new Fibreblend walleye series is very sweet as well.

The Great White Hype
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
How much do you want to spend? I have 2 stradics one on a compre and one on a cumara. You cant go wrong with either great rods.

Anywhere up to 250, looking for a jig and rig rod....

Think I am leaning toward the St.Croix Legend Walleye now, had a look at them and that seems to be the ticket...\

Thanks for the input everyone... Still really happy i found that Stradic for 150 though

toddjler
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
i agree with penner check out the fenwick line-up, i like there rods better than the shimano stuff:sign0161:

Walleye101
05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Fenwick Walleye Class or Quantum Smoke.

Cory Friesen
05-28-2013, 12:51 PM
I'd go with a st croix rod for sure. I've had many walleye tournament and avids rods. Love them both. The walleye tournament rods just look better. I've had 3 different crucials and I hated them. Love the Stradic reels. Awesome price too!

Walleyedude
05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
St Croix makes good rods, I have/had several of them. The Legend Tournaments are nice rods, but the new split grip and plastic handle are major draw backs if you ask me. If you want full cork, you have to step up to the Legend Elite.

If you're looking to spend that kind of money, the G. Loomis GL2 or Fibreblend Walleye Series is close to the same price point, and is a better rod with a full cork grip. Go and try them out for yourself and actually put your hands on them, I'm guessing if you do that, you'll leave with the Loomis lol.

buckmasterjr
05-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Fenwick hmg.

Alberta Bigbore
05-28-2013, 08:43 PM
I have 3 Stradic on St.Croix walleye Legend Tournament rods. Go St.Croix and dont look back.

found a pic.. I think they look good together.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/feeshing/WP_001518.jpg (http://s895.photobucket.com/user/mojobass/media/feeshing/WP_001518.jpg.html)

AppleJax
05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
I have 3 Stradic on St.Croix walleye Legend Tournament rods. Go St.Croix and dont look back.

found a pic.. I think they look good together.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/feeshing/WP_001518.jpg (http://s895.photobucket.com/user/mojobass/media/feeshing/WP_001518.jpg.html)

Looks great! That water looks Pembina colored...

Alberta Bigbore
05-28-2013, 09:16 PM
nah.. Hasse

buckmaster
05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
nah.. Hasse :sHa_sarcasticlol: nsr.....

MountedPike
05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
I've got a 6'6 Ugly Stik. Kind of old technology, but for the price it really is a great rod. I've gone through two reels in the time I've had it. No issues whatsoever.

bellr77
05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Fenwick Walleye Class or HMX. Have both awesome rods. Good price.

Fenwick Walleye Class or Quantum Smoke.

Love my Fenwick great rod but would not tough a Quantum in a million years ever again they haven't made good rods in years and have went far down hill. Bought a Quantum smoke rod last year had them broken 3 times by fish that were maybe 5lbs. quit bothering to have it replaced. I like the appearance of the St. Croix but I hate the fact new spinning rods at least on the higher end have all went away from the grip in front of the reel which is where I hold my rod. I hate that everyone has went that way but Fenwick is still offering a great rod with that option.

The Great White Hype
05-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Well. 6'6 ML St.Croix Legend Walleye won.... I have put a lot of thought into it, and this rod was it.

Thanks all for your opinions.

justinO
05-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Anywhere up to 250, looking for a jig and rig rod....

Think I am leaning toward the St.Croix Legend Walleye now, had a look at them and that seems to be the ticket...\

Thanks for the input everyone... Still really happy i found that Stradic for 150 though

Personally I would go with a cumara then, Can't beat Shimano. One of my Stradics is on a Cumara 6'8 medium, fast. Stradics and Chronarchs look great on the cumaras. I have my other on a 6'0 compre which I love also. Good luck let us know what you decide I can send you pics if you want to see my riggs.

justinO
05-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Well. 6'6 ML St.Croix Legend Walleye won.... I have put a lot of thought into it, and this rod was it.

Thanks all for your opinions.

I just saw this after I posted That's a great rod size what kind of power and action did you go with?

The Great White Hype
05-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Went with model LTWS66MLF, Jig-N-Rig, 6'6", Medium Light, Fast Action, 1 piece, 4 - 10 lb, 1/8 - 3/8 lure weight. Comes in at 3.3 oz...

Sure will fish nicely.