PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake laker gear

bardfromedson
05-28-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm planning on trying my luck up at cold lake in a month. Just wondering what some of the popular set ups are for that time of year. I'm set up for west coast fishing but I have to transfer everything to my 17ft from my ocean rig so I wouldn't mind having a bit of an idea so I don't have to pack the kitchen sink. I got riggers on the little boat

keep6matt
05-28-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm planning on trying my luck up at cold lake in a month. Just wondering what some of the popular set ups are for that time of year. I'm set up for west coast fishing but I have to transfer everything to my 17ft from my ocean rig so I wouldn't mind having a bit of an idea so I don't have to pack the kitchen sink. I got riggers on the little boat

Haul your ocean rig up there and use that, you should see the size of boats at Cold Lake, some monster vessels there. They have a huge marina in town also. Run downriggers, in a month I would be looking at 80 to 120 FOw and even up to 200 FOW depths, look for the boats, birds, try to find structure and bait balls on your electronics. Typically large flashy spoons work well or down rig flat fish or anchovie rigs or drift jig them with white large bucktails tipped with anchovies. Its a trial n error process in the open water at Cold Lake.

Penner
05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Sonar, medium/heavy action rods, level wind reels, down rigger, flashers, cut plug rigs w/ herring or smelts. Large spoons in lieu of rigs work also.

bardfromedson
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
I would like to take the big boat but I'm pulling my 5th wheel as well so it's not an option. Is the new sporting goods store well stocked or should I load up on herring and chovies when I pass through Edmonton?

keep6matt
05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
I would like to take the big boat but I'm pulling my 5th wheel as well so it's not an option. Is the new sporting goods store well stocked or should I load up on herring and chovies when I pass through Edmonton?

Load up in Edmonton as its half the price and better selection, my humble opinion

58thecat
05-28-2013, 11:45 AM

I use Apex lures exclusively! You being from the west coast can relate and I tell you these are a gem out here. I did not know they would work but tried them and I have had guys pull up after complete frustration as we are getting double headers only to see what we are using and just shake there head.
Check out hotspotlures.com go to tips and tricks and there is a downloadable pdf file, I followed that as a starting point...if you can catch salmon, you can catch lakers...good luck!

More info 4 1/2" #80 pink/yellow, #78 red/pearl, #351 rainbow trout, #77 pearl. These are hot:sHa_shakeshout:

Gordoats26
05-28-2013, 11:51 AM

Grocery store in cold lake had a bunch of anchovied and hearing wnen I was there.We

Penner
05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Bait and gear could likely be found in Cold Lake or Bonnyville but supplies could be limited so I wouldn't completely bank on it.

Bait and gear can be found more readily for certain in Edmonton however.