PDA

View Full Version : Boehlkes Pond south of Halkirk

JedFisher
05-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi folks,
Has anyone fished this pond this year? Did it winterkill. I was there last summer flyfishing and noticed the structures for the windmills but no heads. I'm not sure they quite aerating or just remove for the summer. Any info would be appreciated. I've been to the Diplomat near Forestburg a couple times this year and it's all stockers best I can tell. PM me if you wish.

Don Andersen
05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Pond winter killed.
Aeration equipment dismantled when some idiot ice fisherman drove into open water from aeration exhaust.
Pond then died!

Don

JedFisher
05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback Don. That's too bad. Not many choices out here. Did that just happen this year or have the windmills been out of service for a couple years? Do you know if they ever be putting the windmills back into service.

Don Andersen
05-31-2013, 07:28 AM
Jed,

The incident happened 2 winters ago.
The windmills were decommissioned after the idiot drove into the aeration hole.
There seems to be 2 choices here:
1] remove idiots from the gene pool
2] stop ice fishing in this pond so people won't drive into the aeration pool.

Neither of the above is likely to happen so the pond remains a crap shoot. Some years it over winters - others it does not.

It has been restocked according to the SRD. Usually it is stocked in the fall to reduce cormorant predation. As it was re-stocked early, the cormorants get a gut full.

This is truly a classy story of how not to manage trout ponds and a example of how SRD, ACA and the Stettler County does things.

The whole thing probably went down like this:

In an effort to make sure that no more idiots drive into the lake, the authorities remove the aeration system and kill the pond. That fixes the problem - no more fish, no ice fishing, no more wet trucks.

Doesn't that seem reasonable to you?

Don

tallieho
05-31-2013, 07:52 AM
don, trouble is the gene pool is still out there & expanding.imo all trout fisheries that have aerators in them should NOT allow ice fishing.
just as an example of a huge loss,BULLSHEAD,BEAVER are aerated that same thing could happen there.