PDA

View Full Version : Jet boats

CanadianBadass
05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Hey guys,

Im looking at buying a new jet boat for the NSR, Anyone with any info on what to get, and where to go,.

I have never had a jet boat , but would prefer a fishing jet boat,

Any ideas or hook ups on where to go ?

Thanks again

Swath
05-29-2013, 08:22 AM
How much do you want to spend? Anywhere from $35k to $85k for an inboard jet.

K44
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Their is 3 canadian builders that I would look at Outlaw in Red Deer, Harbercraft Gibbons Motor Toys sells them, or Fire Fish out of Red Deer. Fire Fish and Outlaw will custom build you what you want.

FishingFrenzy
05-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Some good deals can be found on Kijiji...

What type do you want? Inboard or outboard? Big like 22ft or small like 14-18ft? Whats your price range?

CanadianBadass
05-29-2013, 09:17 AM
http://www.gorv.ca/boat/red-deer-outlet-center/2012-thunderjet-v162-eco-r220140b.php

Thats what ive been looking at, But need more expertise on what can actually go in the NSR

K44
05-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Look at the bottom thickness most of the american boats have a thin bottom stick with a .250 bottom and I like the inboard motors better not as noisy the merc. 200 has been a good engine or the V8's. I run a 20' Harbercraft with a V8 on the NSR no problem, but you will have to go through a learning curve witch cost me a few impellors the first year

eggy
05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't know too much about the thunder jets but personally I think that engine might be a little underpowered for that boat. When it says 90 hp I assume that is only 60-65hp at jet. Just depends on how many people and how much gear you want to put in it. I had 17 foot with a 90 on it and had trouble getting up on plane with a big load in it. I now have 18foot harbecraft with a 200hp mercury optimax and I love it. I bought mine at gibbons motor toys.

fishinmatt
05-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm new to jet boats but have been running one for about a year. In my experience if you are planning on running the North Saskatchewan in central and eastern Alberta you can get away with a lower end, thinner hull no UHMW type boat. If I were only running the North Saskatchewan I would have no problems with a .160" hull and no UHMW. For smaller rivers I would recommend UHMW and a 0.190" or thicker hull. As far as engine configuration I would go with an inboard for the additional power and efficiency. I had initially wanted an outboard for the added fishability but after gaining a little experience I think you'd be under powered in most outboard boats. On a budget Hewes would be fine and for a few more thousand you should be able to get into a Harbercraft/Jetcraft/Kingfisher (Same boat, different name). Weldcraft, Thunder Jet would be a nice option if budget isn't much of a concern.

That Thunderjet that you are considering would be fine for the North Saskatchewan at a decent price but possibly a little underpowered.

Purple_Tea
05-29-2013, 06:19 PM
The link you provided is a outboard not a jet. Have a look at the ecojet. Nice machine but a little more pricier.

http://www.thunderjet.ca/thunderjet_canada_jets_176_ecojet.html

troutmountain
05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Try an explorer they are built on the southside and lots pop up for sale on kijiji. Just type in "outboard jet" on kijiji search

CanadianBadass
05-29-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm new to jet boats but have been running one for about a year. In my experience if you are planning on running the North Saskatchewan in central and eastern Alberta you can get away with a lower end, thinner hull no UHMW type boat. If I were only running the North Saskatchewan I would have no problems with a .160" hull and no UHMW. For smaller rivers I would recommend UHMW and a 0.190" or thicker hull. As far as engine configuration I would go with an inboard for the additional power and efficiency. I had initially wanted an outboard for the added fishability but after gaining a little experience I think you'd be under powered in most outboard boats. On a budget Hewes would be fine and for a few more thousand you should be able to get into a Harbercraft/Jetcraft/Kingfisher (Same boat, different name). Weldcraft, Thunder Jet would be a nice option if budget isn't much of a concern.

That Thunderjet that you are considering would be fine for the North Saskatchewan at a decent price but possibly a little underpowered.

Hey man, thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was asking for man. Some one with some good pointers. Thanks Man

Any other info you could pm me would be Helpful

CanadianBadass
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Im actually looking for something fairly small TBH, I would love something bigger, but I don't have that big of a truck right now, I have access to a truck pretty much when ever, But I mostly fish with only 1 other person,

Dale S
05-29-2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.gorv.ca/boat/red-deer-outlet-center/2012-thunderjet-v162-eco-r220140b.php

Thats what ive been looking at, But need more expertise on what can actually go in the NSR
. First you have to figure out what rivers you want to run . And what purpose hunting ,fishing, camping out of it, or just cruising.The more power and bigger the boat you have you can carry large loads and cruise at 50MPH. But when you get one of those big boats with a full load on stuck in the middle of nowhere it can be trouble. The smaller you go with the motor size and boat size the smaller the load you can carry.But with a 16ft. lightweight boat 2 guys can push it out when you get stuck.If your going to be in rivers full of rocks you need UHMW. I run the Oldman River most of the time,its all rocks and runs low in the summer. I went with a 16' Outlaw lynx with a 175 sportjet. It weighs 1800 lbs dry.Easy to push of shore and easy to get unstuck. Some of those big boats with big block motors can weigh 4000lbs. One good thing to think about is if your going to worry about how much fuel your going to burn, don't buy a jetboat.

CanadianBadass
05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
. First you have to figure out what rivers you want to run . And what purpose hunting ,fishing, camping out of it, or just cruising.The more power and bigger the boat you have you can carry large loads and cruise at 50MPH. But when you get one of those big boats with a full load on stuck in the middle of nowhere it can be trouble. The smaller you go with the motor size and boat size the smaller the load you can carry.But with a 16ft. lightweight boat 2 guys can push it out when you get stuck.If your going to be in rivers full of rocks you need UHMW. I run the Oldman River most of the time,its all rocks and runs low in the summer. I went with a 16' Outlaw lynx with a 175 sportjet. It weighs 1800 lbs dry.Easy to push of shore and easy to get unstuck. Some of those big boats with big block motors can weigh 4000lbs. One good thing to think about is if your going to worry about how much fuel your going to burn, don't buy a jetboat.

I will be only on the NSR and only 2-4 people max , fishing only , is there any good smaller ones ?

Danaha
05-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Explorer makes a great outboard jet boat as someone already mentioned. Also, G3 has some great fully welded outboard jet jon boat packages that start at about just under $20,000. Riverside Marine (new marine location) has some on their showroom floor out in St. Albert. If you want an inboard jet drive, there are a huge amount of brands you can choose from in the Edmonton area.

Danaha
05-29-2013, 11:51 PM
To further the G3 info, the smallest package available is a 16'5" with a 60/40 jet. I think the total weight of the package is under 1600 lbs.

CK Angler
05-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Im actually looking for something fairly small TBH, I would love something bigger, but I don't have that big of a truck right now, I have access to a truck pretty much when ever, But I mostly fish with only 1 other person,

Check out these Alumacraft Jon's, they are nice boats,and rigged around fishing, Gibbons Motor Toys is the local Alberta dealer and they are good people to deal with. I am picking one up mid June for the Athabasac and Clearwater rivers up north. You won't be as fast as the big boys on the river but IMO this style is way better suited for fishing purposes.

http://www.gibbonsmotortoys.com/gibbons/view-details.php?id=Alumacraft-Boats-2013-All%20Welds-MV1650AW%20SC

steve
05-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Go look at the kingfishers at GMT

mtnluvr
05-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Many of the manufacturers have forums as well. outlaweagle.com, firefish.ca, brattjet.ca, meanchicken.net all offer a wealth of info when choosing the right boat for your application.

DMCK
05-30-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/products/alaskan#

Check out wooldridge boats. I have a 2002 17' Alaskan with center console and new 115 e-tec ob jet. I love it. The new ones are a bit wider than mine. I had 3 big guys and 2 teenagers and no problem getting up on step.
Brand new with a 115/80 yamaha for under $30K.

CanadianBadass
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/products/alaskan#

Check out wooldridge boats. I have a 2002 17' Alaskan with center console and new 115 e-tec ob jet. I love it. The new ones are a bit wider than mine. I had 3 big guys and 2 teenagers and no problem getting up on step.
Brand new with a 115/80 yamaha for under $30K.

What kinda price you looking at for one of those?

I like those a lot, I don't mind the Jon Boats, But for heavy weather they look under equipped

DMCK
05-30-2013, 11:10 AM
When I was there he said about $27500 for a new 17' Alaskan with 115/80 yamaha 4S jet. Add in tax and exchange.....about 30K.
These guys have been building river boats for almost 100 years.
I paid about 20K all in, used boat and new motor.

Moo Snukkle
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I have a buddy with a near new 2 yr old Explorer 16 ft. Not listed but he has mentioned he would sell it. pm me for his number

Sooner
05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I would suggest if cash flow allows for it to buy a little bigger then what you think you need. It allows for changing your mind if in the future you want to run different rivers then the NSR.

DMCK
05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/used-vehicles/15-alaskan-with-windshield-evinrude-80hp-jet-ez-loader-trailer

Nice shape, good for 2-3 people.....I don't like when people don't put price in the ad, usually they want too much.

Snowdog
05-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Explorer makes a great outboard jet boat as someone already mentioned. Also, G3 has some great fully welded outboard jet jon boat packages that start at about just under $20,000. Riverside Marine (new marine location) has some on their showroom floor out in St. Albert. If you want an inboard jet drive, there are a huge amount of brands you can choose from in the Edmonton area.

Explorer built a custom outboard jet boat for the Search and Rescue organization I'm with, very happy with it 23k ish if I remember right.

skidderman
05-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Do lots of research. There are many options, some you need, some you don't. If you are new at it I would go with a 12 degree hull. Any less and you risk losing control and that an be a bad deal. I would stay away fron any sport jet. Just my opinion.

Pillage
05-31-2013, 06:40 AM
I will sell you my 16' Explorer.. Its sitting at Explorer Industries just got a service and ready to go. Only 65hrs on it,they where asking 20K for it there but will let it go for 18k. Love the boat, only reason im selling is i want a bigger boat for bigger water in BC. If I had the money I would keep it and have both.

CanadianBadass
05-31-2013, 08:37 AM
I will sell you my 16' Explorer.. Its sitting at Explorer Industries just got a service and ready to go. Only 65hrs on it,they where asking 20K for it there but will let it go for 18k. Love the boat, only reason im selling is i want a bigger boat for bigger water in BC. If I had the money I would keep it and have both.

send me some pics if you could, Is it in alberta ?

brohymn2
05-31-2013, 02:57 PM
google marathon jet boats, they got a boat guide thats pretty good

K44
05-31-2013, 06:25 PM
send me some pics if you could, Is it in alberta ?

South Edmonton on 91st. north of 51 ave

CanadianBadass
05-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Dealer or Private?

NSRfishing
06-01-2013, 11:26 AM
http://www.explorerindustries.com/index.php?area_id=1001&page_id=1001&article_id=5&LIMIT=

Pillage
06-01-2013, 11:31 AM
I will have to look for some pics. But yeah if you look on Explorer industries web page you will see what it looks like. And yes I live in Edson but boats in Edmonton right now. And its a private deal.

lifesagarden
06-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I spent 3 years looking and i still think I ordered the wrong boat! ha ha... the best place to start is figure out if your going to be using the boat in both lakes and on the river. Next think are you willing to stay off the small rivers? Is this going to be a pleasure cruise boat, strictly "purpose" boat or try a combination? To me those simple questions will at least give you an starting point. Its like buying a car... Bigger rides nice but isnt as good in the city. Your mini's are fantastic in the city but aren't so good in the open road loaded up with gear.
Explorer offers some fantastic looking entry and general purpose boats.
Harbour Craft has since become another off the shelf boat (IMO) but still a great product
Outlaw boats are the "original" ,great boats but havent evolved like the younger custom companys
BrattJett has ALOT of experiance and thought behind there boats, little flash with a little simplicity.
Firefish has some very sleek and stylish designs, not sure how the will stand the test of time.

All of it is IMO!! every boat / Mfg has it place and points.

I recomend printing off the below PDF. Best general help I got.

http://www.marathonmarine.com/boats_guide.pdf

CanadianBadass
06-01-2013, 05:41 PM
I spent 3 years looking and i still think I ordered the wrong boat! ha ha... the best place to start is figure out if your going to be using the boat in both lakes and on the river. Next think are you willing to stay off the small rivers? Is this going to be a pleasure cruise boat, strictly "purpose" boat or try a combination? To me those simple questions will at least give you an starting point. Its like buying a car... Bigger rides nice but isnt as good in the city. Your mini's are fantastic in the city but aren't so good in the open road loaded up with gear.
Explorer offers some fantastic looking entry and general purpose boats.
Harbour Craft has since become another off the shelf boat (IMO) but still a great product
Outlaw boats are the "original" ,great boats but havent evolved like the younger custom companys
BrattJett has ALOT of experiance and thought behind there boats, little flash with a little simplicity.
Firefish has some very sleek and stylish designs, not sure how the will stand the test of time.

All of it is IMO!! every boat / Mfg has it place and points.

I recomend printing off the below PDF. Best general help I got.

http://www.marathonmarine.com/boats_guide.pdf

Hey man thanks a lot, That was a wealth of info,

NSR Only,
2-4 People Max,
Very little Gear, Just rods and tackle and lunches
Fishing Sturgeon 99% of the time,
and always within 100Km to the city,
about 50,000$ budget ( would prefer to be in between 20-40k )
Does NOT have to be new, But Great Condidtion otherwise

That's pretty Much the criteria I have

DMCK
06-01-2013, 07:27 PM
PM sent

50/50
06-02-2013, 07:45 AM

NSR Only,
2-4 People Max,

You should be able to find a real good boat for $ 35G

I didn't like the Sport jet 200. Even with extra insulation I found it was too loud and made a resonance in the hull. Opti oil is costly, and it burnt almost the same gas as a 5.7 l.

I would stay with a 1/4 (.250) thick bottom at minimum.

a 1/2 or full canopy. Great for the rain or sun.

Drop bow is handy.

Closed cooling sytem.

The most important is to go for lots of test runs. Try different degrees of hulls and engine / pump combos. I'm thinking a 12 deg hull would be ok for you.

ccg818
06-02-2013, 08:07 AM
I shopped around for 3 years or so before I pulled the trigger on my 16ft Outlaw Lynx with the 200 SportJet. I was hesitant about the sportjet but am very happy with the whole package, it is a bit loud but nothing I can't live with. I was in the same situation as you, wanted a boat to fish the South Sask River with 2-4 people. I would recommend something along the Outlaw or Firefish line as well. Depending on how crazy you want to get in the back channels and sliding gravel bars will determine what size and motor to get. I did not think I would be jumping gravel bars and what not but because I bought a boat that can take the punishment I spend most of my time going places boats shouldn't go. I can tell you pushing a 16ft boat with a sportjet off a gravel bar or out of the trees is a lot easier than doing the same with a 19ft with a V8...in the end I am very happy with my decision and it works well for what I need a boat for. Have fun shopping!!

lifesagarden
06-02-2013, 08:16 AM

NSR Only,
2-4 People Max,

I looked long and hard at the explorer boats in the beginning but opted out because just for the simle facts i had bigger plans. they're not the prettiest, most loaded or most rugged but they also dont claim to be. Like anything you get what you pay for and you still do get a good product with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m37vWT8nwl8

Another thing i noticed nobody has warned you about is the fact that the cheapest thing about river boats is buying one. I dont mean that to sound ominus but they are higher maintiance then your general lake boat.
Dont let people tell you that you need to reg your boat with transport canada ($250), as a pleasure craft you can licence it and look at boat insurance outside of the province (BC has some great companys).

I dont claim to know everything I like you just did alot of research and talked with some really helpfull people.

Red Bullets
06-02-2013, 02:17 PM
You mention a 50 k budget. Remember the couple hundred it costs each time you run the boat. If you fish alot that is another thousand or two per year too.
Let alone the maintenance.

catnthehat
06-02-2013, 03:23 PM
My little 18 ' 120 lite by Marathon is a fantastic boat for day fishing on flat, shallow water .:sHa_shakeshout:
It was designed as an entry level boat but i put a mess of upgrades on it before delivery, as I was certain of what I wanted - a super light, trailerable, can be launched and loaded wiithout a ramp on a flat beach,
welded hull with a lifetime warranty that could get out of a shallow hole and get decent fuel consumption, at the same time packing four people and gear if needed.
The quit making them as everybody seemed to be going to bigger boats.
Mine has a five degree hull, track super runs at 38MPH, and does everything I want it to with a little 120PH Sportjet.
The only drawback is if we get into big water, it's a "wet" boat due to the straight sides with no splash rail on the gunwales, but I can live with it.
40 gallon tank, storage, big rear deck, and low enough on the gunwale I can get a big animal into it by myself (after I get it the critter into the water!)
Safari top, and very easy to get off a bar or the shore for two people - unless you run it right out of the water for bad weather, then it takes a bit more, but you can do it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/bieandWeibo_zps338c0df4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/catnthehat/media/bieandWeibo_zps338c0df4.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/howtocleanamuledeerbuck.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/catnthehat/media/howtocleanamuledeerbuck.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/Picture012.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/catnthehat/media/Picture012.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/DoubleTimeontheAthabasca.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/catnthehat/media/DoubleTimeontheAthabasca.jpg.html)
Cat

Dale S
06-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Outlaw makes a tough boat. This one came out with only a few scratches. We put a couple threw there paces today.Last pics. is of some of the water we were on. It was easy see the rocks going upstream but downstream not so much.

travrgtr
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Once you've ran skinny water, you'll be hooked my friend. Check out the 166 from explorer industries. Inboard jet with a full windshield and bimini for the crap days. Added a seat on the bow and rear swim platform and it fishes 4 no problem. the best part is 2 guys have no problem getting it off the rocks when you PARK it.

ccg818
06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
And I thought I was hard on my boat...havnt smashed a concrete pillar yet...