PDA

View Full Version : Grayling!!

jacenbeers
05-29-2013, 02:58 PM
The last fish left on my Alberta Sportfish bucket list was scratched off the list on Sunday. I have now caught every sportfish in AB except golden trout.

On Sunday I brought my fly gear to Wedge Pond to try for some grayling. I have been there a bunch of times and every time it is either too windy to cast effectively or the water conditions were dirty. On Sunday it was clear and beautiful outside with just a slight wind once in a while and the water was beautiful. Another fisherman was kind enough to give me a pale morning dun to use and on my first cast I caught my first grayling. I fished for another 45 minutes and ended up catching 13 in total.

For those that have caught lots of grayling at Wedge, are the fish bigger if you fish in the middle where it is deeper? The biggest I caught on Sunday was 8-9 inches. I imagine there are lots of different age classes in the pond because I also caught some that were 4-5 inches. What is the biggest you have caught from Wedge?

Bhflyfisher
05-29-2013, 03:58 PM
The last fish left on my Alberta Sportfish bucket list was scratched off the list on Sunday. I have now caught every sportfish in AB except golden trout.

On Sunday I brought my fly gear to Wedge Pond to try for some grayling. I have been there a bunch of times and every time it is either too windy to cast effectively or the water conditions were dirty. On Sunday it was clear and beautiful outside with just a slight wind once in a while and the water was beautiful. Another fisherman was kind enough to give me a pale morning dun to use and on my first cast I caught my first grayling. I fished for another 45 minutes and ended up catching 13 in total.

For those that have caught lots of grayling at Wedge, are the fish bigger if you fish in the middle where it is deeper? The biggest I caught on Sunday was 8-9 inches. I imagine there are lots of different age classes in the pond because I also caught some that were 4-5 inches. What is the biggest you have caught from Wedge?

it winterkills quite often and the grayling are stocked as fingerlings. which is why you're only seeing smaller pictures.

noviceguy
05-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Good for you, is it C&R at Wedge pond? I just wanna know that it is not fished out like other stocked ponds. I should have tried wedge, I went to Mt Lorette but it's fished out already. Tried Kananaskis lakes but no luck.

Scott N
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Good for you, is it C&R at Wedge pond? I just wanna know that it is not fished out like other stocked ponds. I should have tried wedge, I went to Mt Lorette but it's fished out already. Tried Kananaskis lakes but no luck.

C&R with a baitban.

Drewski Canuck
05-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Little Smoky at Fox Vegas, Berland at Fox Vegas, can't be beat, especially in September. Then you will know good Grayling, and can scratch the same off your list.

Drewski

kinwahkly
05-29-2013, 04:48 PM
They stocked last year with a bunch of figerlings, there are some nicer fish there, was there last spring and caught some as big as 15 to 16 inches with my float tube using smaller chironamids.

JReed
05-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Congrats Jacen! I'm going to be heading out there saturday with my pontoon boat to try and scratch grayling off the bucket list as well. When I was there a couple years ago at this time, there were some big ones cruising the shore, they were in the 12-15" range

JReed
05-29-2013, 06:01 PM

PM me if you want to hike into rainy ridge for golden trout

BeeGuy
05-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Special mission season is closed for a few weeks:thinking-006:

JReed
05-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Special mission season is closed for a few weeks:thinking-006:

Thanks Sherlock :dork: , I like getting my special missions lined up early so I can do research and have something to look forward to

jacenbeers
05-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks Sherlock :dork: , I like getting my special missions lined up early so I can do research and have something to look forward to

Count me in! I would love to do it. Have you done it before? We should pick a long weekend. June long weekend? I never really had goldens on my bucket list because I never thought I would bother trying to hike into one of the lakes but if I had a crew who were willing, I would be in for the adventure. Especially with people I know.

Daceminnow
05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
it winterkills quite often and the grayling are stocked as fingerlings. which is why you're only seeing smaller pictures.

And Fry. 1cm stocked this time last year. These fish today are now around the 20 cm mark. They would be the larger ones you caught. Pretty substantial growth in their first three years, if they can avoid the winterkills. The smaller ones would be most likely be this years stocked fish as I believe they went in a little bigger.

Good job Jacen, my kids scratched Grayling off their bucket lists over the week-end too, all on fly gear. Was cool to be a part of.

Dace

Chris84
05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Good job........go get yourself a golden.

slingshotz
05-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Count me in! I would love to do it. Have you done it before? We should pick a long weekend. June long weekend? I never really had goldens on my bucket list because I never thought I would bother trying to hike into one of the lakes but if I had a crew who were willing, I would be in for the adventure. Especially with people I know.

We hiked up to Barnaby on a long weekend last year and it was a tough hike but the view was well worth it. Unfortunately it was crazy windy at the top and we got skunked. I been wanting to go again for another shot but it might not be until late summer before I have the time. But if you haven't gone by then, maybe we can try it as I mostly know the way now :).

jacenbeers
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
We hiked up to Barnaby on a long weekend last year and it was a tough hike but the view was well worth it. Unfortunately it was crazy windy at the top and we got skunked. I been wanting to go again for another shot but it might not be until late summer before I have the time. But if you haven't gone by then, maybe we can try it as I mostly know the way now :).

That would be awesome. If you decide to make the trip, count me in. Even if we catch nothing or the conditions are bad, at least I would know what to expect for the next trip.

HRFisher
05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Congrats on getting your grayling. Found them to be quite accommodating on the fly or small spinners.

Haven't had the opportunity to fish Wedge in quite a while, although my son and I stopped by there two summers ago just for a look-see. All my grayling have come out of Bear Pond, but want to hit Wedge and Quarry this year to try my luck again.

Love the colouration of the grayling, and that dorsal fin is just amazing.

EZM
05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Pack your bear spray ............. and bring someone slower than you .......lol