PDA

View Full Version : Walleye at Wab

Lund rebel
05-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Well we have been fishing here almost every night since the season opened and I finally have caught my first walleye from here. Mine was caught on about a 8 inch crank bait in 4 feet of water. I am still trying for a large summer pike. Any one else hook into a walleye here ?

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh619/dukeandotis/B64EA412-4923-4909-8222-EA28429F37C6-17264-00001CA045C9F609_zps4e792ed2.jpg

chriscosta
05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
got one near that spot you did and my buddy got two one six pounder that drop off there must bring the odd one in

ETOWNCANUCK
05-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Nice looking fish

Lund rebel
05-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Yeah forgot to add that here was caught just outside moonlight bay basically straight out form the power line. I heard they stocked a pile into the lake, I always found it funny that every kind I was stopped by the fish cops they're would ask if we are catching any walleye, I always said no but then asked back are people catching out here and would always get a no no no nothing caught here answer from everyone of them. I hope the population takes off here.

We stopped at jack fish the other night and hooked into similar large walleye, but they got a little crazy when the camera came out.

Northern Yaker
05-30-2013, 06:34 AM
It's nice to see some healthy walleyes but not out of a lake that never really held good populations. Over 1.5 million walleye fingerlings last yr alone.
Soon they will take over, stunting all the pike.
Way to go Alberta???what's the next fishery you will destroy.

keep6matt
05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Actually there was about 6.5 million walleye stocked in Wabamum in Nov 2012

http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/documents/FishStockingReport-Nov01-2012.pdf

The pike are gonna get fat!

cube
05-30-2013, 09:36 AM
It's nice to see some healthy walleyes but not out of a lake that never really held good populations. Over 1.5 million walleye fingerlings last yr alone.

X 2.

My one hope that I’m holding out for at Wabamun is that, while all other lakes that have undergone the great Alberta walleye experiment had open seasons on pike, Wab remains closed to pike as well as walleye for now.

Jamie Black R/T
05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
X 2.

My one hope that I’m holding out for at Wabamun is that, while all other lakes that have undergone the great Alberta walleye experiment had open seasons on pike, Wab remains closed to pike as well as walleye for now.

x2
thats the way it should remain...can you imagine the pressure on that lake if they ever open it up to harvest again?

it was busy in the 80's....i cant even imagine the hoards today if it was opened.

Northern Yaker
05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Actually there was about 6.5 million walleye stocked in Wabamum in Nov 2012

http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/documents/FishStockingReport-Nov01-2012.pdf

The pike are gonna get fat!

Sorry it had been awhile since I looked at that report . Funny how 90% of the walleyes stocked in AB last yr went into one lake.

The pike are fat already and going to lose out on sh@t loads of food. It's kind of similar to Lac La Biche. Well if they take hold anyways. Walleye are out of control. And yet still no slot limit for them.

Red Neck
05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Great open discussion. They must never allow harvest at Wab:snapoutofit: It has become a fantastice sport fishery near a large population of anglers. It would be ten times worse that what has happened to what was perhappes the best sport fishery(WAS) Calling Lake:angry3: Lets just hope the pike eliminate 6.450.001 yummy fry.
P.S. That is a nice health Eye:)

Red Neck Out :scared0018:

JohninAB
05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Nice walleye.

pechetr
05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I had F&W ask me that same question on the weekend. I personally hope they keep the lake closed. It is the only decent lake within a short drive of Edmonton with great facilities and decent fishing.

Lund rebel
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I hope it stays closed as well, my girlfriend and my self love to fish but don't eat fish. We still use the barbless hooks just fish for the thrill of it and to enjoy the peaceful scenery out there. Taken at fallis in the weekend

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh619/dukeandotis/AD11C247-232E-4154-8F63-63E3D84BC031-17394-00001D6455139B99_zps9dde20cf.jpg

steve
05-30-2013, 12:54 PM
What's the story with paying $15 to launch and park in town?

Any free launches on the lake?

wind drift
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Misinformed...walleye were extirpated from Wabamun by the 1930's, by folks with nets looking for fish to eat. The population could have been quite strong for all we know. Pike and walleye coexist in good numbers in so many lakes in Canada, the statement about them taking over and stunting pike is without basis...just folklore and armchair "biology". Especially in a productive lake like Wabamun. Hard to understand how restoring a lost population could be viewed as destroying a fishery. If walleye in another lake, say Pinehurst, went away, there would be hell to pay if the gov. tried to declare it a pike lake and not restock it.

cube
05-30-2013, 02:05 PM

cube
05-30-2013, 02:06 PM
What's the story with paying $15 to launch and park in town?

Any free launches on the lake?

How much of a launch do you need? If you need one for a larger boat you could use the provincial park launch. For small boats and vehicles that do not need concrete there's ones at Seba Beach, and Fallis as well. though parking a Fallis is a bit of a pain.

cube
05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Misinformed...walleye were extirpated from Wabamun by the 1930's, by folks with nets looking for fish to eat. The population could have been quite strong for all we know. Pike and walleye coexist in good numbers in so many lakes in Canada, the statement about them taking over and stunting pike is without basis...just folklore and armchair "biology". Especially in a productive lake like Wabamun. Hard to understand how restoring a lost population could be viewed as destroying a fishery. If walleye in another lake, say Pinehurst, went away, there would be hell to pay if the gov. tried to declare it a pike lake and not restock it.

Just wondering where you got your info.

EZM
05-30-2013, 02:27 PM
nice walleye - hope they gain some ground in there ... I am not aware of walleye populations that have been studied to suggest they have a dramatic impact on pike.

These two species coexist in many healthy lakes.

cube
05-30-2013, 03:08 PM
nice walleye - hope they gain some ground in there ... I am not aware of walleye populations that have been studied to suggest they have a dramatic impact on pike.

These two species coexist in many healthy lakes.

As they compete for the same forage they certainly have an effect on pike size, growth, and numbers.

One of the major problems I see with the Great Alberta Walleye experiment is that in just about every case they stop the harvesting of Walleye BUT NOT the pike. Hence quite often you see pike numbers and size drop while the walleye eat themselves out of house and home.

Northern Yaker
05-30-2013, 03:36 PM

I am also wondering where you got your info. Really restoring a lost population :snapoutofit:

How about isle lake now that's a lost population or several other lakes that winterkilled in last few years lets try and recover those populations.

wind drift
05-30-2013, 03:59 PM
I am also wondering where you got your info. Really restoring a lost population :snapoutofit:

How about isle lake now that's a lost population or several other lakes that winterkilled in last few years lets try and recover those populations.

Ignorance is bliss...
Try the Atlas of Alberta Lakes...try talking to the Area Fisheries Biologist, Stephen Spencer. Heck, even Wikipedia in less than 10 seconds can help shed some light:
"Development of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway greatly stimulated the local economy. Commercial fisheries used the railway to carry fish by box car to as far away as New York City. Seba Beach, a community at the lake's western edge, had a whitefish cannery, but this eventually shut down; the vacant building remains in the village."

The lake got the crap kicked out of it at around the turn of the 20th century and walleye were lost.

The Lake Isle problem is habitat-related. Winterkill caused by decomposition of excessive plant growth stimulated by all the nutrients running into the lake from cleared land, cattle poop and erosion. May well be no point to restocking if it winterkills hard even once a decade. Don't get angry with the biologists, they're not the ones making the land use decisions.

cube
05-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Ignorance is bliss...
Try the Atlas of Alberta Lakes...try talking to the Area Fisheries Biologist, Stephen Spencer. Heck, even Wikipedia in less than 10 seconds can help shed some light:
"Development of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway greatly stimulated the local economy. Commercial fisheries used the railway to carry fish by box car to as far away as New York City. Seba Beach, a community at the lake's western edge, had a whitefish cannery, but this eventually shut down; the vacant building remains in the village."

LEFT]

Wiki says “Walleye have not been seen in the lake since the mid-1990s either. The walleye were not native to Lake Wabamun so about 15 years after stocking the Walleye stock either died off or were fished out”.

Atlas of Alberta Lakes “Walleye were reportedly present in the lake in 1912, but apparently died out after that time” Nothing about 1930’s or that they were there for certain.

So again wondering where you got your info as I would like to put my ignorance to rest.

wind drift
05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Wiki says “Walleye have not been seen in the lake since the mid-1990s either. The walleye were not native to Lake Wabamun so about 15 years after stocking the Walleye stock either died off or were fished out”.

Atlas of Alberta Lakes “Walleye were reportedly present in the lake in 1912, but apparently died out after that time” Nothing about 1930’s

So again wondering where you got your info as I would like to put my ignorance to rest.

Wiki's wrong about the not-native part, but right about the reason walleye were extirpated. The 1930's are indeed after 1912. Takes a while to get rid of the last few I guess. Try the biologist conversation route. He can put you at ease. Check this out for a snapshot: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/cityplus/story.html?id=a332b711-187f-4969-a9c8-e3649953f34a

"The tasty fish were common in the lake more than 100 years ago."

and this:
http://donmeredith.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/wabamun-lake-fisheries-update/

"Wabamun Lake has probably been fished as hard and for as long as any lake in the province. As early as 1850, the lake was heavily fished to supply the people at Fort Edmonton and area, most likely to feed sled dogs as much as people. This pressure increased into the 20th century as the importance of the lake fishery as a source of food grew and was enhanced with the building of a railroad to the lake. In 1910, weekend railway excursions were organized from Edmonton to the lake, increasing sportfishing pressure. The building of cottages began shortly thereafter.

In the past, Wabamun has had viable native populations of lake whitefish, northern pike, yellow perch and walleye. However, the walleye population was fished-out by the early 1900s."

The time difference reported (1900's, 1912, 1930's) is simply the difference between "present", "fished out" and "extirpated".

The fact remains they were there, are native to the lake and are being restocked for restoration purposes.

Graffy91
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Wiki's wrong about the not-native part, but right about the reason walleye were extirpated. The 1930's are indeed after 1912. Takes a while to get rid of the last few I guess. Try the biologist conversation route. He can put you at ease. Check this out for a snapshot: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/cityplus/story.html?id=a332b711-187f-4969-a9c8-e3649953f34a

and this:

"Wabamun Lake has probably been fished as hard and for as long as any lake in the province. As early as 1850, the lake was heavily fished to supply the people at Fort Edmonton and area, most likely to feed sled dogs as much as people. This pressure increased into the 20th century as the importance of the lake fishery as a source of food grew and was enhanced with the building of a railroad to the lake. In 1910, weekend railway excursions were organized from Edmonton to the lake, increasing sportfishing pressure. The building of cottages began shortly thereafter.

In the past, Wabamun has had viable native populations of lake whitefish, northern pike, yellow perch and walleye. However, the walleye population was fished-out by the early 1900s."

The time difference reported (1900's, 1912, 1930's) is simply the difference between "present", "fished out" and "extirpated".

The fact remains they were there, are native to the lake and are being restocked for restoration purposes.

So walleye weren't native to Pigeon, Ste. Anne either then, LOL.

Pretty sure walleye were 100% native to the lake, as well as many other lakes in Alberta that were overfished, and still are overfished to this day.

Northern Yaker
05-30-2013, 05:29 PM

and this:

Looks like your references are not what you thought. So yes my ignoring your ignorance is bliss.

EZM
05-30-2013, 10:06 PM
As they compete for the same forage they certainly have an effect on pike size, growth, and numbers.

One of the major problems I see with the Great Alberta Walleye experiment is that in just about every case they stop the harvesting of Walleye BUT NOT the pike. Hence quite often you see pike numbers and size drop while the walleye eat themselves out of house and home.

Your second paragraph I completely agree with - putting pressure any any one coexisting species and less (or none) on the other will, indeed have an impact. The main contributor in this imbalance, in this case, is humans, not natural.

My point was, simply, in a balance situation, Pike and Walleye coexist nicely. Catch and release, like Wab, would be a balance, and SHOULD work. Just as harvest limits (according to a balanced management plan) would also likely work (if there was enough good data).

There are far more examples of lakes that sustain a healthy balance of both native species than there of the exception to the rule like Pigeon where the plan just isn't working anymore and there are a gazillion stunted little piranha walleyes.

I remain unconcerned with the walleye re-introduction - hopefully I'm not wrong .......... only time will tell.

chriscosta
05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
How much of a launch do you need? If you need one for a larger boat you could use the provincial park launch. For small boats and vehicles that do not need concrete there's ones at Seba Beach, and Fallis as well. though parking a Fallis is a bit of a pain.

i just found out theres a marked parking area just before the cabins on a chunk of grass lmao i been goin there for so many years and never knew... a local cabin owner pointed the sighn out to me and it is in fact in plain view

wind drift
05-30-2013, 11:07 PM
So walleye weren't native to Pigeon, Ste. Anne either then, LOL.

Pretty sure walleye were 100% native to the lake, as well as many other lakes in Alberta that were overfished, and still are overfished to this day.

Huh?

wind drift
05-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Looks like your references are not what you thought. So yes my ignoring your ignorance is bliss.

Huh?
I can only try to inform you. You will have help yourself now. Talk to the biologist. What a strange discussion.

steve
05-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Thanks cube. 18' boat

mooseknuckle
05-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Nice looking walleye!!

Warren77
06-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Walleye will not take over Wabamun. There are simply to many pike. Every other fish in there will suffer though. Kinda of like what happened in pigeon to the perch. Calling lake did suffer though because the fish were starving.... Which is why they opened up the limits to 2 walleye. Back in 2000-2006 this lake was unreal.... But its just like every other lake around 2-3 hours of a big city... The good fishing only lasts so long. I used to pull 6lb-10lb walleye out of there all day long.
I hope Wabamun never gets opened up!!!

ddddd05
06-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Wabamun is connected to the North Saskatchewan River by a small creek. Walleye are native to the NSR and any lake that is connected to the river.

pickrel pat
06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Wabamun is connected to the North Saskatchewan River by a small creek. Walleye are native to the NSR and any lake that is connected to the river.

how many obstacles would they have to overcome in that little creek to make it... culverts, beaver dams....etc...I would guess its not happenin.

Stewie
06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
how many obstacles would they have to overcome in that little creek to make it... culverts, beaver dams....etc...I would guess its not happenin.

He said they are native to the lake... I'm sure at some point a few walleye swam that creek

Pikebreath
06-03-2013, 08:03 AM
If there are acurrate historical records of walleye from 100 years ago, then walleye are indeed indigenous to Wabamun.

Restoration of walleye stocks to Wabamun is good thing,,,, the big thing will be to balance and limit harvest if and when SRD allows it, so as not to pressure one species (pike or walleye) over the other.

cube
06-03-2013, 11:17 AM
If there are acurrate historical records of walleye from 100 years ago, then walleye are indeed indigenous to Wabamun.

Restoration of walleye stocks to Wabamun is good thing,,,, the big thing will be to balance and limit harvest if and when SRD allows it, so as not to pressure one species (pike or walleye) over the other.

Actually there are no accurate historical records of walleye in Wabamun.

according to
Lake Wabamun:A Review of Scientific Studies and Environmental Impacts produced by Dr. David W. Schindler for the Alberta Government page 36.

"only anecdotal reports suggest that walleye were an incidental species in Lake Wabamun

Words like anecdotal and incidental do not lead me to believe that there were large naturally occurring walleye populations in Wab.

In my opinion just because we can put a fish species into a lake does not mean we should. I sure if we look back far enough we would find evidence of grayling as well as trout species and lake sturgeon in there as well.

I believe we have a very good fishery there now and would hate to lose it.

EZM
06-03-2013, 11:49 AM
The walleye issue is simply an impact originating from the warm water discharge.

Spawning for most fish is triggered by water temperature and photo periods (daylight duration).

Water temperature is a key driver in triggering the spawn for members of the perch family, more so, than that of other families of fish (like pike and whitefish). They are much more susceptible to temperature manipulations to trigger a spawn.

Perch populations (same family as walleye) in that lake were also impacted by the warm water discharge. Perch populations have been determined to be quite low.

It is known that due to this, this walleye in Wabamun spawned early and the fry simply had nothing to eat as their forage would not developed in the cooler surrounding water. This is likely the reason the walleye died out.

I would suggest any biologist out there could underpin this theory. It is further supported by the fact TransAlta has been actively involved in "repairing and re mediating" this issue - with their support of the walleye introduction program.

Plain and simple, it is likely the walleye died out due to the warm water discharge and that, because the Walleye ARE a native member of the NSR watershed, it is likely they existed in some form at the lake prior to the powerplant.

Having said all that - I personally don't think a walleye re-introduction, if managed correctly, will have a dramatic impact on the Pike in the lake as it will find a natural balance.

Will there be less food for the pike? the added balance of having smaller walleyes (which pike feed off of) may offset the competition of the remaining forage base - ultimately balancing the equation.

I, too, am a strong supporter of the trophy pike fishery and would hate to see it destroyed by mis-management. I am optimistic.

I hope I'm right ...........

cube
06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
The walleye issue is simply an impact originating from the warm water discharge.

Will there be less food for the pike? the added balance of having smaller walleyes (which pike feed off of) may offset the competition of the remaining forage base - ultimately balancing the equation.

I, too, am a strong supporter of the trophy pike fishery and would hate to see it destroyed by mis-management. I am optimistic.

I hope I'm right ...........

Given Schindler's report goes back more than a century, which certainly pre dates the power plant, it is unlikely to be the cause of not having large sustainable walleye populations in Wab before.

There were of course walleye in Wab in the time your referring but they were stocked there in 1983 and 1986. Perhaps those were affected by the water temps but it's funny that no other species was so affected and only anecdotal, incidental reports of their presence exist before that.

I too hope you are right.

mikebossy
06-03-2013, 11:25 PM
i just found out theres a marked parking area just before the cabins on a chunk of grass lmao i been goin there for so many years and never knew... a local cabin owner pointed the sighn out to me and it is in fact in plain view

WHERE????? Fallis or Seba???

Lund rebel
06-04-2013, 06:19 AM
This day use area is a fallis right where u turn toward to the launch its about a half km walk or so once u launch ur boat.

chriscosta
06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
WHERE????? Fallis or Seba???

yup fallis right before the cabins the patch of grass behind the sign that says day use

dryflyguy
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Caught my first Wabamun Walleye over the weekend, casting off our dock using a #0 Five of Diamonds. Was a small one, I would say no more than 10", lost him as I was lifting it out of the water, but was a nice dark green color. Also caught around 15-20 Pike off the same dock between myself and a couple friends. Biggest was a 8lb 10oz, most were 3lb or under.

mach123
06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
All I can say is that, it is not the walleye that depleated the large pike it was the human race, once a pike hits a certain size no problem anymore and they feed alot more in different areas, Stop people from keeping the large fish and I think slot size is good to keep groth going, but we need to stop the over fishing in any lake, nets, pouchers and etc.................Great day of fishing....