PDA

View Full Version : Spring pike

gor
05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Are the pike on spoons yet or still going for bait. Looking to go out on saturday. Newell or badger but have not talked to any one about the fishing.

Icatchfish
05-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I caught 3 pikes on spoons at PCR and 1 on gulp minnow. so i guess a little bit of both i'd say

bwackwabbit
05-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Not sure about down south, but they're HAMMERIN' spoons and cranks up this way.

Gust
05-29-2013, 09:17 PM
gold williams of the larger variety and shiny gold and red cranks,,, got a cotton cordel one that has become my go to lure alongside the williams. Keho was a herring day but they would only hit on ultra slow retreive (slow as in 15 minutes per cast). As to where to go? Anywhere. Finding fish in about 12 feet of water so look for shelves.

bwackwabbit
05-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Agreed, the big girls were hitting Williams in whitefish (hammered) on the 5" size. Retrieve up this way is quick almost burning it in.

Gust
05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Retrieve is quick almost burning it in.

That was Badger last week, super fast retreive and they still inhaled the lures,, some went airborn, hits from below.

bwackwabbit
05-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Today east of Red Deer I had to switch to the Lenny's because they were taking big Vibrax Bucktails so deep they were almost gut hooked. Sped it up and the rest of the day they were buttoned up in the corner of the mouth.

First one of the day bit the bottom treble right off the Storm Wildeye pike I was chuckin' had both pieces stuck in his jaw...lol.

Gust
05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Today east of Red Deer I had to switch to the Lenny's because they were taking big Vibrax Bucktails so deep they were almost gut hooked. Sped it up and the rest of the day they were buttoned up in the corner of the mouth.

First one of the day bit the bottom treble right off the Storm Wildeye pike I was chuckin' had both pieces stuck in his jaw...lol.

I modify the storm wildeyes by taking the bottom treble off altogether which allows for more roof of the mouth hookups. Sometimes I take the treble off, snip the top hook (wear glasses when doing this), then I fashion a single hook almost to the tail so it doesnt disrupt the crazy wiggly tail. Northern Baits I think they're called make a single hooked knock off of the stormeye,, though a lot heavier due to a jig head head, it has real nice action with few snags and a plastic body slightly firmer than the stormeye models (their plastics went downhill after they became more popular). The dollarama in Calgary has packs of two for two bucks, plus some cheaper but good cranks with only two trebles. For those in a pinch wanting to purchase a variety of cranks, its the place to go, not raps or Live Target but lures/cranks nonetheless.

Gust
05-29-2013, 10:38 PM
The cranks were manufactured by mako lures and they had topwater frogs too.

Chris84
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Saw a guy catch a 25-30lb pike on a len thompson five of diamonds two weeks ago. We caught all of ours on various lures

Flight01
05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Saw a guy catch a 25-30lb pike on a len thompson five of diamonds two weeks ago. We caught all of ours on various lures

I am a big fan of the 5 of diamonds. I will be hitting up Winifred lake on Jun 25 26 and will give a report then. Mostly gonna try the sinking tip fly set up this year. But always end up with a spoon in the water.

EZM
05-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Everybody has seen "that guy" ..........

Deano85
05-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Northern Baits I think they're called make a single hooked knock off of the stormeye,, though a lot heavier due to a jig head head, it has real nice action with few snags and a plastic body slightly firmer than the stormeye models (their plastics went downhill after they became more popular). The dollarama in Calgary has packs of two for two bucks, plus some cheaper but good cranks with only two trebles.

Do you mean these ?

http://www.boaterbarn.com/images_products/northland_mm4_23_mimic_minnow_46470big.jpg

Chris84
05-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Everybody has seen "that guy" ..........

I have a picture, ill figure out how to post it. Unreal fish, shame he kept it. Caught it from shore.

Chris84
05-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I am a big fan of the 5 of diamonds. I will be hitting up Winifred lake on Jun 25 26 and will give a report then. Mostly gonna try the sinking tip fly set up this year. But always end up with a spoon in the water.

Its crazy, the ol five of diamonds is a straight up killer

Graffy91
05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Do you mean these ?

http://www.boaterbarn.com/images_products/northland_mm4_23_mimic_minnow_46470big.jpg

Majority of Northland tackle I love. It's all I carry in my lake tackle box next to rapala.

Gust
05-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Do you mean these ?

yup,,, in different sizes and colours.

Wayne B
06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
"I have a picture, ill figure out how to post it. Unreal fish, shame he kept it. Caught it from shore."

What lake did he take this great fish from?

I released a similar fish 2 weeks ago. It was a great feeling to think I might be able to catch this fish next year and possibly be a new Alberta record.

Chris84
06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
"I have a picture, ill figure out how to post it. Unreal fish, shame he kept it. Caught it from shore."

What lake did he take this great fish from?

I released a similar fish 2 weeks ago. It was a great feeling to think I might be able to catch this fish next year and possibly be a new Alberta record.

He caught it at Travers, I've made a photobucket account but I can't seem to post it from my tablet. I'll post the picture when I'm at my computer.

Chris84
06-03-2013, 06:39 AM
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t550/csaw84/Snapbucket/857E0457-orig_zps41115aba.jpg

So again, this is me holding the fish. However, it is not my fish. It measured just over 48" long and the guy caught it on a five of diamonds.

Wild&Free
06-03-2013, 07:20 AM
They were hammering whatever we through in the water and kept off bottom in Bischto last week. Spoons, spinners, bait... you name it they took it.