PDA

View Full Version : question on outboard

mosbos
05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
a few years ago I inherited a 2002 15HP merc 2 stroke. The motor may have been used 4 times and is in mint condition. I plan on using it this year and have heard that I may have to watch out for dried out seals. The motor has been stored upright indoors on a stand. I found an owners manual for it and there really isn't anthing in it for seals. Any tips or advice on things to look for before I start her up?

HunterDave
05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Fill a garbage can or rain barrel with water and try her out before heading out.

YeeHaw
05-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Personally I think it will be fine. As mentioned run the engine before you hit the water. Make shure you check your lower leg oil, or better yet change it. Once its running, make shure you have a steady stream of water coming from your engine. I like to use a garbage can filled with water for this, as muffs create a pressure going into your pump and engine, that could give a false report on impeller condition. I have also mixed my fuel just a little bit on the rich side for the first couple gallons of fuel when firing up any engine that has not ran in years. But it's only my preference to do that. Good luck with it.:)

Swath
05-31-2013, 08:41 AM
I picked up a brand new 9.9 merc two stroke that is a 1995 vintage (believe it!!!). Mounted it on the boat, put on the prop (was never installed), changed leg oil, primed, three pulls and purred like a kitten. I agree with the others. Run in a barrel and maybe start with the cover off to look for any leaks. Mine was fogged before it was stored so worst case is you may have a bit of fouling in the carbs. Easy fix if that is the case.

mosbos
05-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the advice.Much appreciated!

PlayDoh
05-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Change the leg oil, and get some premium gas at Co-op, or anywhere that doesn't add Ethanol. Not that Ethanol will hurt a 2002, but Ethanol is what can eat seals, rubber, ect. Running it in a barrel is great advice, beats working on it at the lake.

The gas that's in it has gone sour, so it could run like garbage if it runs at all till you get into the fresh gas. So don't tinker with anything till your in the fresh stuff. Dump the gas tank (properly) and give it a rinse with fresh gas. The oil in the gas will have settled to the bottom.

If you plan on not using a motor for a while you want to add a fuel stabilizer in to the engine before storing it.

Also while its running watch for fuel leaks in the lines. I'd think that new of a motor, in such good shape should be fine, but best to inspect.

If you have issues, a carb (if it has one) overhaul/cleaning would be the first thing I do, after spark plugs. check the fuel filter also.

Check out Iboats for engine and boat help. http://www.iboats.com/