PDA

View Full Version : Do you use barbs when fishing for sturgeon?

crosbyfan123
06-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Was thinking that how rare it is to hook a sturgeon. And if anybody takes extra precautions.

BGSH
06-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I use trebble hooks. No seriously I don't fish for sturgeon so can't really say.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
I didn't before and don't know . With a good hook set and tight line no issues .

Wild&Free
06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I didn't before and don't know . With a good hook set and tight line no issues .

x2

applies to all fish imo.

Fishfinder
06-02-2013, 06:48 PM
x2

applies to all fish imo.

X3:)

RavYak
06-02-2013, 07:25 PM
x2

applies to all fish imo.

Applies to almost all fish we catch here but not all. I disagree with trout in particular. When a trout jumps out of the water going ballistic(which happens with nearly every trout I catch) they seem to spit out the hook much easier if it is barbless.

As for using barbs for sturgeon. I would not and hope other do not. To my knowledge they aren't going to help you significantly with a sturgeon and can make hook removal noticeably more difficult. This is the same reason why I still use barbless when fishing for pike and walleye(barbs just not needed).

Xiph0id
06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm the opposite. I will not use barbs on trout due to them being much more fragile and lass abundant then say pike or walleye.

So to answer your question I don't know.
I currently do not use barbs on any fish I target.

Wild&Free
06-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Applies to almost all fish we catch here but not all. I disagree with trout in particular. When a trout jumps out of the water going ballistic(which happens with nearly every trout I catch) they seem to spit out the hook much easier if it is barbless.

If you think your trout will jump, hold your rod horizontally not vertically, most of the time, this keeps them in the water, or just a thrash/broil on the surface. Return to vertical when the fish goes back down, and back on its side when they come back up always with tension on the line.

I've landed numerous lively steel head with this technique and it works, once I know I have a decent hook set I let them do their acrobatics.

Honestly, if a fish jumps and I lose it. I still know I hooked into a fish, that I got to see, and the experience is worth it.

WayneChristie
06-02-2013, 07:57 PM
no. they arent necessary with the sturgeons tough mouth, its hard as it is to get a barbless out of that leathery mouth. once they take the bait they usually close up tighter than a gnats butt anyways. just dont put your thumb on the spool when they run :bad_boys_20: and anything else in the river is just a bonus so no matter if they get off the hook anyways, they are already going back

RavYak
06-02-2013, 08:08 PM
If you think your trout will jump, hold your rod horizontally not vertically, most of the time, this keeps them in the water, or just a thrash/broil on the surface. Return to vertical when the fish goes back down, and back on its side when they come back up always with tension on the line.

I've landed numerous lively steel head with this technique and it works, once I know I have a decent hook set I let them do their acrobatics.

Honestly, if a fish jumps and I lose it. I still know I hooked into a fish, that I got to see, and the experience is worth it.

I have learned a few little things to try and keep them from jumping and trying to tire them out before landing them but every so often they still do and I find with barbless hooks more often then not they get off when they do that.

I enjoy watching them jump and fight but man it sure can get annoying if you are trying to catch supper or it is a slow day then they get away.

evileddie713
06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I like to buy hooks with barbs and pinch them down well. The bump that's left behind helps keep bait on and keep the hook from being thown. But removing is easy. Also I use circle hooks and bend the tip out to one side or the other which I find helps any hook hold a bit better.

Wild&Free
06-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I have learned a few little things to try and keep them from jumping and trying to tire them out before landing them but every so often they still do and I find with barbless hooks more often then not they get off when they do that.

I enjoy watching them jump and fight but man it sure can get annoying if you are trying to catch supper or it is a slow day then they get away.

I hear ya on that. Having the only fish you get on jump and spit the hook at ya in a day is frustrating. I'm a C&R trout guy, for the most part so not catching supper isn't a big deal for me as I've usually packed enough food expecting to not catch anything. It is called fishing, and no catching btw. There's really only 2 species of fish that I get a little upset over losing. Walleye and Perch. so tasty.